• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsmen By Country

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  • Australia - Bradman
  • England - Hobbs
  • South Africa - Pollock/Richard
  • India - Tendulkar
  • West Indies - Sobers
  • Pakistan - Miandad
  • Sri Lanka - Arvinda D'Silva
  • New Zealand - Crowe
  • Zimbabwe - Flower

BeeGee

International Captain
Australia - D Bradman
England - W Hammond
South Africa - B Richards
India - S Tendulkar
West Indies - G Sobers
Pakistan - J Miandad
Sri Lanka - K Sangakkara
New Zealand - C Dempster
Zimbabwe - A Flower
Bangladesh - T Iqbal

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia - Bradman, G Chappell, Trumper
England - Grace, Hobbs, Hammond
India - Tendulkar, Dravid, Gavaskar
New Zealand - M Crowe, Dempster, Fleming (?)
Pakistan - Miandad, Inzy, MoYo
South Africa - Richards, Pollock, Kallis
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara, de Silva, Jayawardene
West Indies - Richards, Sobers, Lara
Zimbabwe - Flower, Goodwin, Houghton
Bangladesh - Habibul, Tamin, Shakib (?)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Australia - D Bradman
England - W Hammond
South Africa - B Richards
India - S Tendulkar
West Indies - G Sobers
Pakistan - J Miandad
Sri Lanka - K Sangakkara
New Zealand - C Dempster
Zimbabwe - A Flower
Bangladesh - T Iqbal
Lovely, the inclusion of Hammond and Dexter

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara is probably the most underrated All time great ever.

I would put him as the best batsmen of all time after Bradman factoring in the entertainment value and sheer domination of spin. Easily the most exciting batsmen ever. The most frustrating part about Lara is that he actually under achieved, half the time his mind was really not up for it. When on song, I doubt there is a batsmen in history that could match his domination apart from Viv, but Lara was more exciting to watch than Viv.
I agree to the extent that he is now almost disregarded as being what he is, and that is one of the elite batsmen who can be legimately argued to be the best after Bradman.
On his day and his mind right, there could never have been a better batsman.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia: Don Bradman
England: Jack Hobbs (Hammond a close second)
India: My heart says Gavaskar but my head says Tendulkar
New Zealand: Stewie Dempster
Pakistan: Javed Miandad
South Africa: Graeme Pollock just ahead of Kallis
Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara
West Indies: George Headley (just beats out Richards)
Zimbabwe: Andy Flower

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia: Bradman, Chappell, Ponting
West Indies: Hedley, Richards, Lara, Sobers
England: Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond
India: Tendulkar, Gavaskar
South Africa: Kallis, Richards, Pollock
Pakistan: Miandad
Sri Lanka: Sangakkara
New Zealand: Crowe

Top tier batsmen from each country (Crowe not quite fitting that bill) in order, more or less.

Slifer

International Captain
I agree to the extent that he is now almost disregarded as being what he is, and that is one of the elite batsmen who can be legimately argued to be the best after Bradman.
On his day and his mind right, there could never have been a better batsman.
I too think that Lara somewhat underachieved and had he been as disciplined as say an SRT he couldve achieved so much more. Even so, one thing I noticed in Lara's record is that he has very few not outs. i think that's a product of him being in a piss poor WI batting line up and having to hit out whenever he was running out of partnersmore often that not. If Lara had even half the not outs of most batsmen his average wouldve been well over 55.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Part of what made Lara great was his risk taking and for the most part not playing for average. He was a true genius.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll go current (tests):
Australia: Clarke
Bangladesh: Mahmudulluh
India: Pujara
South Africa: Amla
West Indies: Chanderpaul
Sri Lanka: Sangakarra
Pakistan: Azhar Ali
NZ: Kane Williamson
Zimbabwe: Brendan Taylor
England: Cook

Slifer

International Captain
Part of what made Lara great was his risk taking and for the most part not playing for average. He was a true genius.
True that. Had he been like a Chanderpaul who knows what his average might of been. Considering they both played for the same crappy team over most of their careers Lara could have easily pulled a Chanderpaul and piled up the not outs my guess his averagewould have been around 60 odd. Lets see Chandershas like 40 odd not outs if Lara had about half that by my calculation his average wouldve been around 57. And some people call him selfish !!!

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Australia: Bradman, Chappell, Ponting
West Indies: Hedley, Richards, Lara, Sobers
England: Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond
India: Tendulkar, Gavaskar
South Africa: Kallis, Richards, Pollock
Pakistan: Miandad
Sri Lanka: Sangakkara
New Zealand: Crowe

Top tier batsmen from each country (Crowe not quite fitting that bill) in order, more or less.
I'm not so sure about that as only a master-batsman could pass the 150 mark against the West Indies at home during the 1980s.

Here we have 188 runs made by Crowe at Georgetown against Marshall, Holding, and Garner;

2nd Test: West Indies v New Zealand at Georgetown, Apr 6-11, 1985 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Can you think of any other batsman kyear who made a similar score against the same line-up of West Indian greats on their own turf?

(not saying that there aren't any, but they must be rare surely)

Last edited: