• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India ATG Team- Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketweb Australia All Time XI
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Sir Donald Bradman *
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Denis Lille
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn Mcgrath

Ricky Ponting
Allan Davidson

Cricketweb West Indies All Time XI
Gordon Greenidge
Sir Conrad Hunte
George Headley *
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

Frank Worrell
Lance Gibbs

Cricketweb England All Time XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton *
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Denis Compton
Sir Ian Botham
Allan Knott +
Jim Laker
Harold Larwood
Fred Trueman
Syd Barnes

Hedley Verity
Kevin Pietersen

Cricketweb South Africa All Time XI
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith *
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite +
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor

Cricketweb Pakistan All Time XI
Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan *
Rashid Latif +
Wasim Akram
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Mohammad Yousuf
Saqlain Mushtaq

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Watson seems a bit busy, so lets get started with the Indian ATG XI. Openers seems a good place to start.
Kindly select any two of the following

Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Virender Sehwag
Navjot Sidhu
Gautham Gambhir

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant

Sehwag just seems like a walking wicket againts these high quality attacks.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant

Sehwag just seems like a walking wicket againts these high quality attacks.
Agreed.

As much as I love the man, I find it hard to see him fare better than Merchant against an ATG attack. Merchant's record in England also helps.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar, Merchant.

The best non-english opener, and an Indian great with an excellent record, especially in first class. Looks like Sehwag might get picked over him though =/

Fry on Merchant (soon after Sutcliffe retired):

`Let us paint him white and take him with us to Australia as an opener.'

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed.

As much as I love the man, I find it hard to see him fare better than Merchant against an ATG attack. Merchant's record in England also helps.
Is that an offcial vote and if it is I assume he is to be paired with Gavaskar?

watson

Banned
I'm not going to be biased by Sehwag's rather crappy last 2-3 years and vote......

Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Been a hectic last 2 weeks but things are much quieter now. So I'm happy to take over from here kyear if you like. Up to you, just let me know.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How the hell did Latif get the Pakistani keeping gig? Overrated.

Gavaskar, Sunil
Merchant, Vijay

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed.

Think it more depends on the conditions, rather than the attack. He's smacked Mcgrath, Steyn and almost every decent too good attack on non seaming wickets (and these weren't necessarily flat wickets.) And then also smacked all the spinners on helpful conditions.

People getting a bit carried away by his last 1 and a half years where he has been out of sorts.

But having said that Merchant was quality too, so it's a tough pick.

I'll go with Sunil Gavaskar and Virendra Sehwag because of the way in which Sehwag can hurt the opposition, almost force a result and also put psychological pressure in certain situations. Plus he'll have quality batting in and around him so a bit of leeway in certain situations can be taken.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar, Merchant.
This for me as well.

However I want to comment on Virender

Sehwag should not have been an opener nor do I think he really wanted to be. Kept talking about preferring to bat number 4 and I think he could have been devastating in that position.

However an opener he was and he changed the game forever with impressionable young bats like Tamim trying and failing to emulate him.

There will always be a place now for run a ball openers - and having grown up in a different generation I think I appreciate openers with a SR of 40 more than those with a SR of 90. (personal preference).