• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India ATG Team- Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
My choice for fourth bowler, Prasanna hasn't even received a vote, also a little surprised by thr Bedi votes over some of the leggies.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
a little surprised by thr Bedi votes .
Supposed to be one of the canniest bowlers in history.

John Parker told a gathering that I was at once that Bedi would bowl long spells and to preserver the strength in his fingers he would only spin 2-3 deliveries an over. You couldn't pick up on which one was spinning from the revs on the ball so you had to listen for the whirrrr in the air from his spinning one.

watson

Banned
My choice for fourth bowler, Prasanna hasn't even received a vote, also a little surprised by thr Bedi votes over some of the leggies.
It seems that Prasanna is not the favourite Indian spinner. Perhaps he may come in as the fourth bowler depending on who the first choice spinner is.

Personally, I don't think that a team can win enough Test matches with only 2 quicks, so I think that 3 is more or less mandatory. Here's hoping that Mankad gets the No.6 spot (as he should with both Engineer and Dev to follow);

Kapil Dev
Zaheer Khan
Javagal Srinath

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kapil Dev
Amar Singh
Bhagwah Chandrasekhar

I kind of think of Chandra as more of a fourth bowler, but meh I want him to have a vote.

watson

Banned
Votes so far;

Kapil Dev = 11
Javagal Srinath = 7
Zaheer Khan = 3
Mohammad Nisser = 1
Amar Singh = 1
Bishan Bedi = 3
Anil Kumble = 4
Chandra = 2

It appears that Dev and Srinath will be the opening bowlers at this stage in the voting.

We then have a clash between Bedi, Kumble, and Chandra for the first spinners spot, with a possibility that Zaheer Khan will overtake the lot of them to make up a 3 man pace-attack.

It's obvious that I won't be calling the voting for some time. Facinating stuff!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As good as Zaheer Khan is, it would be strange to see either Bedi or Kumble lose out on a place to him.

watson

Banned
As good as Zaheer Khan is, it would be strange to see either Bedi or Kumble lose out on a place to him.
Zaheer's SR of 59.7 is first-class. It's unfortunate that his Average and Economy Rate are not.

Incidently;
Bedi's SR = 80.3
Kumble's SR = 65.9
Chandra's SR = 65.9

(a nice coincidence there)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
interesting. I would've assumed Kumble would have a worse strike rate.

still, I'd prefer Bedi and Kumble over Zaheer.

I was tempted to put Zaheer in over Srinath.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Kapil
Nissar
Bedi

BTW, would be a bit of a joke if Zaheer got in cos all the votes for the spinners got split across five contenders...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kapil
Nissar
Bedi

BTW, would be a bit of a joke if Zaheer got in cos all the votes for the spinners got split across five contenders...
I agree. Many of those who voted for Zaheer probably would in all likelihood prefer 2 spinners and 2 pacers to 3 pacers and a lone spinner, even if it meant Zaheer didn't make the list.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd prefer the Indian line up to have at least two quicks.

Kapil is the first quick chosen, and I don't see much difference between Srinath and Khan, but Khan is a left armer and gives some variety.

India's inability to have produced a couple of world class pacemen is staggering. Khan and Srinath's records are similar to someone like Mitchell Johnson or Merv Hughes, decent bowlers but hardly world class. Yet, I still think a team needs at least two quicks.

FTR, I think my team would look something like this....

- Gavaskar
- Engineer (+)
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Hazare
- Laxman
- Kapil Dev(*)
- Kumble
- Khan
- Bedi
- Chandrasekhar/Prassana

Having three frontline spinners is a bit ridiculous, but India would only really challenge other teams in spinning conditions, so might as well play to their strengths. Engineer opening allows this, and with Kapil at seven, the team is balanced.

I think the team's best chance is a massive first innings score, then bowling the opposition out with spin on favourable pitches.

Sehwag could open, and the team could play with four frontline bowlers, but I think it looks unbalanced that way. Mankad really isn't good enough for consideration as an all rounder.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kapil
Zaheer
Kumble

Would prefer an extra spinner over Zaheer for first-change though.