• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India ATG Team- Open Voting

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think it more depends on the conditions, rather than the attack. He's smacked Mcgrath, Steyn and almost every decent too good attack on non seaming wickets (and these weren't necessarily flat wickets.) And then also smacked all the spinners on helpful conditions.

People getting a bit carried away by his last 1 and a half years where he has been out of sorts.

But having said that Merchant was quality too, so it's a tough pick.

I'll go with Sunil Gavaskar and Virendra Sehwag because of the way in which Sehwag can hurt the opposition, almost force a result and also put psychological pressure in certain situations. Plus he'll have quality batting in and around him so a bit of leeway in certain situations can be taken.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest he'll fail, it's just that imo Merchant would be better.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Been a hectic last 2 weeks but things are much quieter now. So I'm happy to take over from here kyear if you like. Up to you, just let me know.
You are free to take over, it is your game, I was was just helping out.

watson

Banned
You are free to take over, it is your game, I was was just helping out.
OK then.

I make the current score (after counting twice);

Gavaskar = 17
Sehwag = 8
Merchant = 9

Since it's very close we need to let the voting roll a bit longer......

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Merchant only played 10 tests, I cant select him, so will go for Gavaskar and Sehwag. Though Sehwag is a sitting duck against some of the bowlers from the opposition.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Merchant only played 10 tests, I cant select him, so will go for Gavaskar and Sehwag. Though Sehwag is a sitting duck against some of the bowlers from the opposition.
Thats like not selecting Barry Richards for SA, because he only appeared in four tests, or Procter, who only appeared in 7.

watson

Banned
Thats like not selecting Barry Richards for SA, because he only appeared in four tests, or Procter, who only appeared in 7.

The best attack that Merchant ever faced was perhaps the 1936 English attack that consisted of Allen, Gover, Verity, Robins and Hammond. Against those bowlers at Old Trafford he managed a score of 114. That's not bad.

2nd Test: England v India at Manchester, Jul 25-28, 1936 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

However, while Merchant averaged a very healthy 71.64 in domestic cricket I'm not sure what that means as I can't imagine that the overall quality of Indian bowlers during 1930s-50s would have been very good, especially the quality of fast bowling.

On the other hand Barry Richards scored plenty of runs against Lillee, Roberts, Snow etc in English domestic and WSC cricket, and was therefore able to prove himself against top notch quicks on a regular basis. I'm not sure that we can say the same for Merchant as I don't think that Gover or Allen, or the domestic Indian bowlers were in the same class as the tear-aways of the 1970s.

Here is a Barry Richard's innings where he scored 207 against Lillee, Walker, Gilmour, Bright and Greg Chappell;

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
The best attack that Merchant ever faced was perhaps the 1936 English attack that consisted of Allen, Gover, Verity, Robins and Hammond. Against those bowlers at Old Trafford he managed a score of 114. That's not bad.

2nd Test: England v India at Manchester, Jul 25-28, 1936 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

However, while Merchant averaged a very healthy 71.64 in domestic cricket I'm not sure what that means as I can't imagine that the overall quality of Indian bowlers during 1930s-50s would have been very good, especially the quality of fast bowling.

On the other hand Barry Richards scored plenty of runs against Lillee, Roberts, Snow etc in English domestic and WSC cricket, and was therefore able to prove himself against top notch quicks on a regular basis. I'm not sure that we can say the same for Merchant as I don't think that Gover or Allen, or the domestic Indian bowlers were in the same class as the tear-aways of the 1970s.

Here is a Barry Richard's innings where he scored 207 against Lillee, Walker, Gilmour, Bright and Greg Chappell;

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
While That mightn't have been the best comparison Merchant actually scored most of his runs during his tours of England, rather than in domestic cricket.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Merchant was a terrific batsman by all accounts of him but it is very tough to accurately judge him.

Might have picked him ahead of Sehwag on another day.

Satyanash89

Banned
It shocks me how much people let recent form affect their opinions about certain players. Sehwag for all his deficiencies is a truly remarkable, once in a few generations batsman.
Yeah, he sucks balls in swinging conditions but in SC conditions, i genuinely think he's the greatest of all time.
1) When the conditions suit him, unarguably one of the most consistently destructive batsman of all time.
2) Apart from Lara, i dont think ive ever seen a batsman tear apart quality spin so effortlessly
3) In my opinion, he compensates partly for being **** in swinging conditions by making low, slow pitches, dustbowls, spitting minefields appear to be roads.
4) That Galle double against Murali, Mendis was just legendary. If people can quote Gooch's 154 to be the reason they rate Gooch>cook, ill do the same for Sehwag here.

My vote doesnt necessarily mean that i consider Sehwag to be a better batsman than Merchant, but he undoubtedly adds a great degree of fear factor in the lineup, and as most matches played by an Indian AT XI will be in SC his value addition is tremendous.

Gavaskar
SegWAG

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Merchant is still ahead by 1 vote;

Gavaskar = 21
Sehwag = 10
Merchant = 11

Might let the voting continue through the Aussie night-time. Whoever has the most votes when I log on in the morning wins.

Satyanash89

Banned
Im surprised at the lack of love for Engineer. Was an absolute hero and is a great option if someone actually wants a high class keeper in the team.
Understandable as hes not an ATG opener by any stretch of the imagination but i hope he gets picked in a lower order spot ahead of Dhoni

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Im surprised at the lack of love for Engineer. Was an absolute hero and is a great option if someone actually wants a high class keeper in the team.
Understandable as hes not an ATG opener by any stretch of the imagination but i hope he gets picked in a lower order spot ahead of Dhoni
Yeah I'd think about making Engineer open so I could pick someone like Mankad or someone like that at seven but with the vast increase in standard he'd probably just be a walking wicket most of the time at the top of the order against ATG new ball attacks, even if he provided better balance.

I'll roll with Gavaskar and Merchant. I find it really, really hard to objectively split Merchant and Sehwag so I've just voted for the player I like more. Sue me. :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
It should be noted that Merchant played a considerable amount of FC cricket in England over two tours and and was immensely successful there too.

In 1936, As a 24 year old with his batting still developing, Merchant first toured England and made a name for himself. He scored 1745 runs at an average of 51.32 in that tour over all FC matches topping the batting charts. He was also named one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year for 1936.

Young merchant's technique impressed CB Fry so much that he commented that year - "Let us paint him white and take him with us to Australia as an opener."

In 1946, by which time, he had settled comfortably as India's best batsman, he toured England again and scored a monstrous 2385 runs @ 74.53 over all FC matches.

So I hope your doubts over Merchant's adaptability as a batsman are settled, at least to an extent.

The Don rated him extremely highly and was adamant till his death that Merchant was a superior opener to even Gavaskar. On him missing the 1948 tour to Australia due to poor health, Bradman said "Worst of all, we were denied the sight of Vijay Merchant, who must surely have claims to be the greatest of all Indian players."

I don't mind people picking Sehwag ahead of Merchant but people reasoning that other people are only voting for Merchant as a knee-jerk to Sehwag's recent failures is rather shocking tbh.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
i don't think people are just making knee jerk picks by dropping Sehwag

I do think that Sehwag would probably be found out against ATG attacks even in SC conditions