Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: India ATG Team- Open Voting

Gavaskar
    Merchant
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

How the hell did Latif get the Pakistani keeping gig? Overrated.

Gavaskar, Sunil
    Merchant, Vijay

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Agreed.

As much as I love the man, I find it hard to see him fare better than Merchant against an ATG attack. Merchant's record in England also helps.
    Think it more depends on the conditions, rather than the attack. He's smacked Mcgrath, Steyn and almost every decent too good attack on non seaming wickets (and these weren't necessarily flat wickets.) And then also smacked all the spinners on helpful conditions.

People getting a bit carried away by his last 1 and a half years where he has been out of sorts.

But having said that Merchant was quality too, so it's a tough pick.

I'll go with Sunil Gavaskar and Virendra Sehwag because of the way in which Sehwag can hurt the opposition, almost force a result and also put psychological pressure in certain situations. Plus he'll have quality batting in and around him so a bit of leeway in certain situations can be taken.
    Last edited by Cevno; 07-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Gavaskar, Merchant.
    This for me as well.

However I want to comment on Virender

Sehwag should not have been an opener nor do I think he really wanted to be. Kept talking about preferring to bat number 4 and I think he could have been devastating in that position.

However an opener he was and he changed the game forever with impressionable young bats like Tamim trying and failing to emulate him.

There will always be a place now for run a ball openers - and having grown up in a different generation I think I appreciate openers with a SR of 40 more than those with a SR of 90. (personal preference).
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Sunil Gavaskar
    Vijay Merchant
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

J_C
    Gavaskar
    Sehwag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Gavaskar, Merchant.
    this
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Think it more depends on the conditions, rather than the attack. He's smacked Mcgrath, Steyn and almost every decent too good attack on non seaming wickets (and these weren't necessarily flat wickets.) And then also smacked all the spinners on helpful conditions.

People getting a bit carried away by his last 1 and a half years where he has been out of sorts.

But having said that Merchant was quality too, so it's a tough pick.

I'll go with Sunil Gavaskar and Virendra Sehwag because of the way in which Sehwag can hurt the opposition, almost force a result and also put psychological pressure in certain situations. Plus he'll have quality batting in and around him so a bit of leeway in certain situations can be taken.
    Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest he'll fail, it's just that imo Merchant would be better.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Been a hectic last 2 weeks but things are much quieter now. So I'm happy to take over from here kyear if you like. Up to you, just let me know.
    You are free to take over, it is your game, I was was just helping out.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    You are free to take over, it is your game, I was was just helping out.
    OK then.

I make the current score (after counting twice);

Gavaskar = 17
    Sehwag = 8
    Merchant = 9

Since it's very close we need to let the voting roll a bit longer......
    Last edited by watson; 07-01-2013 at 02:46 AM.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    gavaskar
    merchant
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

State Vice-Captain
    Merchant only played 10 tests, I cant select him, so will go for Gavaskar and Sehwag. Though Sehwag is a sitting duck against some of the bowlers from the opposition.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Merchant only played 10 tests, I cant select him, so will go for Gavaskar and Sehwag. Though Sehwag is a sitting duck against some of the bowlers from the opposition.
    Thats like not selecting Barry Richards for SA, because he only appeared in four tests, or Procter, who only appeared in 7.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Gavaskar and Merchant

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Thats like not selecting Barry Richards for SA, because he only appeared in four tests, or Procter, who only appeared in 7.

The best attack that Merchant ever faced was perhaps the 1936 English attack that consisted of Allen, Gover, Verity, Robins and Hammond. Against those bowlers at Old Trafford he managed a score of 114. That's not bad.

2nd Test: England v India at Manchester, Jul 25-28, 1936 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

However, while Merchant averaged a very healthy 71.64 in domestic cricket I'm not sure what that means as I can't imagine that the overall quality of Indian bowlers during 1930s-50s would have been very good, especially the quality of fast bowling.

On the other hand Barry Richards scored plenty of runs against Lillee, Roberts, Snow etc in English domestic and WSC cricket, and was therefore able to prove himself against top notch quicks on a regular basis. I'm not sure that we can say the same for Merchant as I don't think that Gover or Allen, or the domestic Indian bowlers were in the same class as the tear-aways of the 1970s.

Here is a Barry Richard's innings where he scored 207 against Lillee, Walker, Gilmour, Bright and Greg Chappell;

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
    Last edited by watson; 07-01-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information