• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India ATG Team- Open Voting

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
With the benefit of hindsight should we have selected Amar Singh to partner Dev and Srinath?

We had two opportunities to select him during the draft and didn't because we preferred Kumble then Prasanna. Were our decisions correct?
No. Amar Singh should have been in there for sure.
Great Work again SJS.

The two reserves should be Amar Singh and Mohammad Azharuddin?
The response has made me write on a different subject and it may be interesting for some of you

The importance of cricket history and literature . . .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I go according to consensus and best team balance, an additional spinner does nothing for the squad.
Additionally I still belive that a bowler of genuine pace of Nissar would be a better addition to the 11.

I agree though with Dravid for captain.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I go according to consensus and best team balance, an additional spinner does nothing for the squad.
Additionally I still belive that a bowler of genuine pace of Nissar would be a better addition to the 11.

I agree though with Dravid for captain.
Its an interesting debate - Nissar versus Amar Singh. Clearly Nissar was faster while Amar Singh was considered by everyone, particularly the English batsmen who faced both, to be the better bowler. Clearly too, any ATG side would be strengthened by including either of them to partner Kapil with the new ball. Amar Singh is an all rounder of considerable merit and a fabulous fielder - both big plusses in a side, which over its entire history has been one of the weakest fielding sides in world cricket.

I guess it would have to be horses for courses. In England, for example, one would like to include Nissar. Although both moved the ball in the air, Amar Singh was the type to get purchase off the wicket as well and would relish the conditions in England a bit more - we are talking purely bowling merits here. In Australia, maybe one would prefer to have Nissar I guess. On a wicket like Perth, maybe both of them at the cost of, say Mankad since in Amar Singh we already have an all rounder.

Thats why it makes more sense to have a squad of 14-15 say like this one

1. Gavaskar
  2. Merchant
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Hazare
  6. Mankad
  7. Kapil
  8. Amar Singh
  9. Engineer
  10. Nissar
  11. Prasanna
  12. Chandra
  13. Bedi
  14. Gupte/Kumble

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketweb Australia All Time XI
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Sir Donald Bradman *
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Denis Lille
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn Mcgrath

Ricky Ponting
Allan Davidson

Cricketweb West Indies All Time XI
Gordon Greenidge
Sir Conrad Hunte
George Headley *
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

Frank Worrell
Lance Gibbs

Cricketweb England All Time XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton *
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Denis Compton
Sir Ian Botham
Allan Knott +
Jim Laker
Harold Larwood
Fred Trueman
Syd Barnes

Hedley Verity
Kevin Pietersen

Cricketweb South Africa All Time XI
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith *
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite +
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor

Cricketweb Pakistan All Time XI
Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan *
Rashid Latif +
Wasim Akram
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Mohammad Yousuf
Saqlain Mushtaq

Cricketweb India All Time XI
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Vijay Hazare
Vinoo Mankad
Farokh Engineer
Kapil Dev
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Erapalli Prasanna

Mohammad Azharuddin
Amar Singh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a side made from the discards of these teams . . .

1. Sutcliffe
  2. Grace
  3. Weekes
  4. Ponting
  5. Worrell
  6. Jackson
  7. Ames
  8. Davidson
  9. Lindwall
  10. Roberts
  11. Grimmett

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Here is a side made from the discards of these teams . . .

1. Sutcliffe
  2. Grace
  3. Weekes
  4. Ponting
  5. Worrell
  6. Jackson
  7. Ames
  8. Davidson
  9. Lindwall
  10. Roberts
  11. Grimmett
Mitchell stiff to not get picked, especially since I know you're a fan.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Herbert Sutcliffe
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting ^
Everton Weekes ^
Neil Harvey ^
Frank Worrell *
Les Ames +
Allan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Hedley Verity
Andy Roberts

Choose Hayden over Mitchell and Simpson, because he gives a R/L H combination and his style is the exact opposite to Sutcliffe's and would complement each other. Also this would be an amazing fielding team. Bobby Simpson or Bruce Mitchell would give the team a leg spinner which would be handy.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Herbert Sutcliffe
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting ^
Everton Weekes ^
Neil Harvey ^
Frank Worrell *
Les Ames +
Allan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Hedley Verity
Andy Roberts

Choose Hayden over Mitchell and Simpson, because he gives a R/L H combination and his style is the exact opposite to Sutcliffe's and would complement each other. Also this would be an amazing fielding team. Bobby Simpson or Bruce Mitchell would give the team a leg spinner which would be handy.
Lindwall, Davidson and Hayden all handy slippers as well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon my Rejects XI would look something like:

Grace
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Weekes
Worrell
S Waugh
S Pollock
Davidson
Lindwall
Blackham
Grimmett

Though the team could change if I chose it tomorrow. Looking at it, it's very Australia-biased but at the same time I don't see an obvious example of one of my Australian selections being clearly inferior to an alternative. Blackham is probably the most contentious to many, but I'm happy with him in my team. A fair case could be made as well for Lohmann over one of my bowlers.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lindwall, Davidson and Hayden all handy slippers as well.
Didn't know Lindwall and Davidson fielded in the slips, Haydos was very good in the slips, but was better in the gully and Ponting, Weekes and Harvey were all superb in the slips. Would place Haydos at first slip for the spinner though. Ponting, Weekes and Harvey were also brilliant outfielders conincidentally.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Davo was by all accounts ridiculously good pretty much anywhere - he could field at slip but it would seem something of a waste given his all round quality and the fact that there are other outstanding slippers available.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My rejects one thus far:

Simpson
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Weekes
Worrell
S Waugh*
Ames
S Pollock
Davidson