• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Best Bowling Action

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Andy Roberts
Fred Trueman (not sure if he was mentioned)

Stuart Mcgill?

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ted McDonald has been overlooked so far I think, so a nomination for him is overdue.

Though the final of this for me has to be Larwood v Lindwall.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Starc's already had a shout & I love his languid action, makes it look so fluid and effortless. Looks to have a v slight tendancy to fall away to his right at times, so it isn't quite the finished article, but seems so natural compared to (say) Siddle's.

Early days for Jackson Bird too, but he looks to have a very solid MO. SImple, easily repeatable action.

watson

Banned
Lillee
Hadlee
Larwood
Lindwall
Bishan Bedi
Jim Laker
Larwood and Lindwall were graceful with silky smooth actions, but they both had one aesthetic short-coming just the same - they bowled round-arm. My grandmother bowled round-arm.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Allan Donald
Shane Bond
Waqar Younis
Dale Steyn
Shoaib Akhtar
Shane Warne
Jamed Pattinson
Jerome Taylor
Darren Gough
Chris Cairns
Chaminda Vaas

Dennis Lillee
Micheal Holding
Imran Khan
Ray Lindwall
Herald Larwood
Rodney Hogg
Corrie van Zyl
Garth le Roux
Ian Botham

Howe_zat

Audio File
No-one's arguing it isn't effective, it just isn't an attractive one. Having Murali in a battle of the "best bowling action" would be like having Graeme Smith in a "most aesthetically pleasing batsman" comp; he's very good at what he does but let's not pretend he is what he isn't.

It's arguably done more damage to the sport than any action before or since too.
Ugly cricketers can still be fun to watch if they're unique enough, so I can see why people like to watch Murali. Maybe a better batting comparison would be someone like Chanderpaul.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Larwood and Lindwall were graceful with silky smooth actions, but they both had one aesthetic short-coming just the same - they bowled round-arm. My grandmother bowled round-arm.
Lindwall's action looked dodgy in side on footage I've seen of him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This thread needs more Chaminda Waaaaas

I've always been a sucker for a good bowling action and tend to over-rate players that have them.

Murphy Su'a
Used to love that guy. What a champ.