• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Best Bowling Action

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And the winners & through to the next round are......

Total points:

Bond 32 points
Bishop -25
Sami- 22
Zahid - 13

Shane Bond

&

Ian Bishop

Sami & Zahid eliminated

Satyanash89

Banned
1) Gough... loved, loved, loved his action and was one of the first actions i tried to copy in my youth
2) Kapil
3) Saqlain
4) Hogg

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kapil
Gough
Saqlain
Hogg

If it were to be Bradley Hogg however, I'd have had him at the top of the pile. What beautiful, rhythmical Chinaman action.

Coming to the four in question though, they'd all very lovely bowling actions. Kapil looked harmless, by a fast bowler's standards, with that run-up and easygoing release of his, but only if you were a batsman facing up to him would you truly know how deceptive that harmless image of him was.

Gough's action was one I used to imitate very often during my childhood. So very easy to replicate and perform on a consistent basis. A simple action yet an effective one.

The beauty, or rather the easiness of Saqlain's bowling action can be gauged from the fact that over the recent few years, it has become perhaps the most copied off-spinner's bowling action ever. The key to it being so cunning was how his bowling arm would create a dipping arc which made it near close to impossible for the batsman to judge the length correctly. Moin's "Cmon Saqi" chants behind the stumps added to the charm behind the whole thing, on a side note.

Haven't seen much of Rodney Hogg's bowling apart from checking out the odd video on Youtube but he does seem to have a pretty good bowling action for a fast bowler.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gough's leap to the crease was thrilling to behold, but I'm willing to bet was directly responsible for his knee problems in his later career.

Kapil had a very easy, fleunt action. It was never going to generate express pace, but neither did it flog the body like some seamers' actions.

Whilst reserving no doubts about the probity of Saqlain's action (which perhaps makes him unique for doosra bowlers), it was all slightly too busy and rushed to be one to be savoured for the classists amongst us.

Kapil Dev
Hogg
Gough
Saqlain

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And the winners & through to the next round are......

Total points:

Kapil Dev -33 points
Gough -27
Mushtaq- 17
Hogg- 13

Kapil Dev

&

Darren Gough

Mushtaq & Hogg eliminated

Last edited: