• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP SL cricket thread

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
SL cricket Doom and Gloom thread

Lets face it guys. Things are a complete and utter shambles here.

I know on the face of things NZ look pretty bad as well, but honestly its SL I'm really concerned about.

I genuinely think the SLCB has done irreparable damage to their cricket. They had a golden generation and every kid in the country wanted to be Murali or Jayasuria, but the board didn't invest a dime into the sport on a grass-roots level. Its pretty easy to see what the problem with SL cricket is. Elitism on a massive scale.

Almost every professional player is coming from the same elite group of schools (AKA where rich kids go), as nowhere else seems to have any actual facilities or coaching. This has screwed them massively, and if they couldn't invest in grass routes when the sport was strong, I only see things getting worse.

Can see SL being below Bangladesh on the global cricket scale within three years. And I don't know what anyone can do about it. **** is sad tbh

Last edited:

NasserFan207

Isn't cricket the number one sport there? They'll recover.
Its not about that though. probably 99% of the kids over there have no chance of ever playing the sport professionally due to the board's antics.

Its a disgrace. They are worse than the PCB, WICB, and NZCB all tied into one

Xuhaib

International Coach
teams that rely on unique outrageous talents rather then a good system will have long barren periods case in point Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

NasserFan207

teams that rely on unique outrageous talents rather then a good system will have long barren periods case in point Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Such a typical Pakistan fan post lol. Your team has been at least decent/mediocre since forever.

No, SL cricket is in real trouble right now. Particularly in tests. Its bad for the game as a whole

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Lankans don't seem to have the same respect for tests.

Main thing I hope is that they don't come here as anything but the undercard in future.

ODIs fine but they have made the best part of our summer lacklustre because of their ****eness.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah this has to be just regarding Tests as they are still a terrific short format team.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're good in test cricket, they've just come up against a great Australian side this summer.

netmatrix

Cricket Spectator
Lankans don't seem to have the same respect for tests.

Main thing I hope is that they don't come here as anything but the undercard in future.

ODIs fine but they have made the best part of our summer lacklustre because of their ****eness.
Aww diddums.

Why don't Australia ever tour other countries during Boxing Day / NY then? This post shows you as a selfish, arrogant self-entitled ****wit who thinks the world revolves around you.

I bet you're also on here complaining how the BCCI is ruining the game by chasing money? Well what do you think CA do with Boxing Day / NY? Do they give a **** about other countries? don't think so. Don't hear you whinging about that do we?

Briony

International Debutant
Actually wouldn't mind if we toured SA on BD. We would get to see it at prime time and could play some Big Bash or Shield cricket during the day. Massive crowds turn up here though and they deserve a decent spectacle.

We tour SL in their season. The point is it's disappointing to have sub-standard opposition during the highlight of our cricket calendar. It's been the mid-nineties since they last toured. They were pox then and it led to a changing of the rules for bowlers.:happy:

ajdude

International Coach
Aww diddums.

Why don't Australia ever tour other countries during Boxing Day / NY then? This post shows you as a selfish, arrogant self-entitled ****wit who thinks the world revolves around you.

I bet you're also on here complaining how the BCCI is ruining the game by chasing money? Well what do you think CA do with Boxing Day / NY? Do they give a **** about other countries? don't think so. Don't hear you whinging about that do we?
CSA were bitching that they didn't get their own boxing day test if they toured here, that's cool. difference here is they ditched it for a t20 vs NZ, are you gonna call all saffas 'selfish, arrogant self-entitled ****wits' too?

Last edited:

morgieb

Aww diddums.

Because we get the most money out of Boxing Day / NY tests?

Also, unlike some nations, we actually schedule tests around this period.

Briony

International Debutant
briony you're a terrible poster i hope you know that
I have acknowledged that I wouldn't mind us touring though in the interests of the money generated by the BD and Sydney tests the preference for world cricket would be that we host them.

SA is entitled to tests at this time too and there's no reason why we couldn't tour there at this time as we did prior to isolation but they rather made a mockery of their claims by scheduling a T20 on BD and not playing a summer test until the new year. They could have hosted NZ using the same dates as our Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney tests yet chose to go the T20 route.

I went to the middle day of the BD test and the mismatch made it one of the last memorable days of cricket in my BD tests living memory.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
I have acknowledged that I wouldn't mind us touring though in the interests of the money generated by the BD and Sydney tests the preference for world cricket would be that we host them.

SA is entitled to tests at this time too and there's no reason why we couldn't tour there at this time as we did prior to isolation but they rather made a mockery of their claims by scheduling a T20 on BD and not playing a summer test until the new year. They could have hosted NZ using the same dates as our Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney tests yet chose to go the T20 route.

I went to the middle day of the BD test and the mismatch made it one of the last memorable days of cricket in my BD tests living memory.
They scheduled a T20 because the test matches over there are a ghost town. SA cricket supporters needs to actually support their side first of all.

benchmark00

briony you're a terrible poster i hope you know that
Have I missed some deleted posts? Briony is actually making sense here. Tests around the NY and Xmas period are the big ticket matches, it's annoying to have weak opposition for these tests, especially now we've had them two summers in a row (h)