• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP SL cricket thread

Debris

International 12th Man
Have I missed some deleted posts? Briony is actually making sense here. Tests around the NY and Xmas period are the big ticket matches, it's annoying to have weak opposition for these tests, especially now we've had them two summers in a row (h)
Might have missed the bit where Briony suggested Australia tour SA over Saturnalia and NY.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have I missed some deleted posts? Briony is actually making sense here. Tests around the NY and Xmas period are the big ticket matches, it's annoying to have weak opposition for these tests, especially now we've had them two summers in a row (h)
Yeah she/he? deleted a post about saying hogg > macgill.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
briony you're a terrible poster i hope you know that
Might have missed the bit where Briony suggested Australia tour SA over Saturnalia and NY.
Pretty sure Daemon was referring to netmatrix's sweet, friendly offering directed at Briony.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Test cricket should revolve around Australia and England. If the Ashes weren't so big test cricket probably wouldn't be around these days.

Australia should always be entitled to host a Boxing Day test match, and I don't think it really matters whether it's the undercard or not who is playing at this time of year.

smash84

The Tiger King
Test cricket should revolve around Australia and England. If the Ashes weren't so big test cricket probably wouldn't be around these days.

Australia should always be entitled to host a Boxing Day test match, and I don't think it really matters whether it's the undercard or not who is playing at this time of year.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a great picture of MacGilla.

Might take it down to Officeworks and get it blown up and put on a canvas.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Things in cricket are usually never quite as bad as they seem. Sri Lanka still have plenty of talent, they'll be fine.

That being said, in the next few years there is going to be a mass exodus of Dilshan/Sanga/Jayawardene/Samaraweera/Herath. I'm hoping for the sake of SL cricket that there are some good batsmen coming through domestic cricket.

Himannv

International Coach
May as well rename the thread to "Doom and Gloom".

Yeah, things don't look promising at all on the test cricket front, but we've never been particularly good in tests anyway. Usually we rely on one or two key players to perform with some measure of consistency while we hope for the best with the others. With some of these key players retiring soon, a period of transition is obviously on the horizon.

I like how we're giving one or two younger players a chance in the current test and I'm sure some of these batsmen will be eased into the team soon enough and the process will be gradual. I'm also not concerned about Herath retiring as we have a few young spinners who could step up and perform reasonably well.

The real problem is the pace bowling department and this has been the case for quite a while now. Kula isn't bad, but besides him, I don't see who else could really be good enough for test cricket. We badly need a top quality pace bowler or two to be a decent test side both in the present and the near future.

The lack of proper infrastructure is obviously a concern as mentioned in the OP, but this has been the case for years. Outside of school cricket, people just don't care about the game here. Club cricket just doesn't have the resources, quality and support needed to consistently produce test standard players.

I think we could still be decent in home conditions but away from home will be tough due to the pace friendly pitches we are likely to encounter. I'm sure we'll be fine in T20s and ODIs, so that's something.

uvelocity

International Coach
if you have crap pace bowlers pick 4 spinners. why do they insist on playing cricket the same way as everyone else

Himannv

International Coach
if you have crap pace bowlers pick 4 spinners. why do they insist on playing cricket the same way as everyone else
It might work at home and we usually go in with two spinners there. This tactic wouldn't be all that helpful on pitches outside of the subcontinent.

Unfortunately SLC lack the balls to make our pitches a proper dust bowl. Instead they try to please all the whiny ****s who bitch about the pitch when they come here and struggle.

uvelocity

International Coach
nah mate, some of the "pitches" that are served up across the SC from time to time are not conducive to cricket. even myself as a bowler, I don't want to see pitches which are inconsistent from the get go. It just happens that higher bounce usually accompanies truer bounce and doesn't help spin early doors.

But on selection, there is no reason even on a true pitch you couldn't pick only spin bowlers. if they are better than the quicker options they will be tighter, and create wickets even out of frustration rather than bowling poor bowlers who leak runs and lack the skill to bowl to a plan and get top level batsmen out. Pakistan is another team that I can't get my head around, playing a bloke who will bowl 5-10 overs per test, it's a waste of space.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
SL would be better off with four half decent spinners then what they have had in this series.