Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In 5 years time

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar

In 5 years time

OK I was bored. So I decided to try and decide what the England team would look like in 5 years time. Obviously predicting this kind of thing is stupid given the timeframe and I have no particular insight into English cricket and the young players coming through - apart from the occasional report and tv game.

Test

Cook (C) (Essex)
    Chopra (Warwickshire)
    Root (Yorkshire)
    Ballance (Yorkshire)
    Thakor (Leicestershire)
    Stokes (Durham)
    A Davies(WK) (Lancashire)
    Finn (Middlesex)
    J Overton (Somerset)
    Topley (Essex)
    Kerrigan (Lancashire)

ODI

Cook (Essex)
    Kieswetter (Somerset)
    Stokes (Durham)
    Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Morgan (Middlesex)
    Ansari (C) (Surrey)
    Buttler(wk) (Somerset)
    Gregory (Somerset)
    Broad (Nottinghamshire)
    Willey (Northants)
    Finn (Middlesex)

T20

Stirling (Middlesex)
    Kieswetter (Somerset)
    Stokes (Durham)
    Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Morgan (Middlesex)
    Buttler (WK) (Somerset)
    Ansari(C) (Surrey)
    J Taylor (Gloucestershire)
    Gregory (Somerset)
    Finn (Middlesex)
    Dernbach (Surrey)

As you can see you need to suspend your belief a bit. Realistically speaking Broad is much more likely to be in the test team that J Overton in 5 years and a few of the players playing today are likely to be still around but meh who cares.

Some Thoughts

Cook still rocking the test captaincy, continually unfazed. Giving the ODI captaincy up for some respite. Stokes fulfilling his potential at 6 in the tests and given full licence to thrill in the shorter formats.

Alex Davies just knicking out Ben Foakes in the test team as WK. Buttler given gloves in ODI and T20 where he is used as the closer in the batting order. Kieswetter returned after a couple of years to the top of the order with a more complete game- unfortunate to not have test honours.

Test bowling attack of Finn, Topley, Overton, Stokes, Kerrigan, Root. All variations. Occasionally erratic, sometimes brilliant.

Ansari dominated county attacks in OD and T20 from an early age and was plucked by England early and then given the captaincy. Ice cold under pressure and spin bowling ever improving. Gregory finally got over his injury troubles to become an expert limited overs bowler with good lower order batting skills. Dernbach still ****ing the haterz - return to test and odi teams is imminent in place of a weary Finn. Stirling pledged his allegiance to the English and is biffing attacks for fun.

England dominant and pioneers of the modern ODI and T20 formats with world cups to their name. Team in transistion in test cricket- #4 in the rankings

A true work of my imagination.

Anyone with some time care to predict the makeup of some other nations in 5 years time?

We could be walking around a zoo

These things are always terrible in hindsight, but sure.

Leaving aside any 15-year olds who questionably earn the next set of selectors' backing I'll go

Cook
    Root
    Hales
    Bell/Bopara/Wheater
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Prior
    Rafique
    Broad
    Anderson
    Finn

More conservative than the OP, but I'm honestly a bit perplexed as to why you've dumped 30-year olds Prior and Anderson out of the Test side with no explanation. If Prior goes, I'd plump for Foakes over Davies but tbh that's only because I've never heard of the latter. Broad is also definately part of the long-term plans. He'll come good.

Bell will hold a spot for at least a couple of years. He'll probably make a comeback if he scores a good few county runs too, which he has every time he's gone back. If not, Adam Wheater is my bolter for the average county cricketer who ups his game Trott-style. Bopara can't be killed off, he'll be a squaddie.

Rafique over Panesar or Kerrigan is part wishful thinking and part playing with the selectorial tropes we see in international sides. I think they'll be impressed by his T20I captaincy.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    The side five years ago really wasn't that different, with the likes of Cook, Pietersen, Bell around, and Broad, Anderson, Swann and Prior making their returns/debuts within the next year.

I suspect the side we see in five years time won't be that different either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Easiest middle order to name ever

Rutherford
    Guptill
    Williamson
    Taylor (c)
    Ryder
    Flynn
    Watling (wk)
    Sodhi
    Bracewell
    Southee
    Boult

Bowlers might change a bit and the openers and keeper could be anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    The side five years ago really wasn't that different, with the likes of Cook, Pietersen, Bell around, and Broad, Anderson, Swann and Prior making their returns/debuts within the next year.

The side which played the 3rd Test against New Zealand last time out...

Cook
    Vaughan
    Strauss
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Collingwood
    Ambrose
    Broad
    Sidebottom
    Panesar
    Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    These things are always terrible in hindsight, but sure.

Leaving aside any 15-year olds who questionably earn the next set of selectors' backing I'll go

Cook
    Root
    Hales
    Bell/Bopara/Wheater
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Prior
    Rafique
    Broad
    Anderson
    Finn

More conservative than the OP, but I'm honestly a bit perplexed as to why you've dumped 30-year olds Prior and Anderson out of the Test side with no explanation. If Prior goes, I'd plump for Foakes over Davies but tbh that's only because I've never heard of the latter. Broad is also definately part of the long-term plans. He'll come good.

Bell will hold a spot for at least a couple of years. He'll probably make a comeback if he scores a good few county runs too, which he has every time he's gone back. If not, Adam Wheater is my bolter for the average county cricketer who ups his game Trott-style. Bopara can't be killed off, he'll be a squaddie.

Rafique over Panesar or Kerrigan is part wishful thinking and part playing with the selectorial tropes we see in international sides. I think they'll be impressed by his T20I captaincy.
    Yesssss Azeem Rafiq! Great post for that alone.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I'm a sucker for these kind of teams

AUS ODI 2018
    1. Aaron FINCH
    2. Glenn MAXWELL
    3. Peter HANDSCOMB
    4. Steve SMITH
    5. Travis HEAD
    6. Moises HENRIQUES
    7. Tim LUDEMAN
    8. James FAULKNER
    9. Mitchell STARC
    10. Patrick CUMMINS
    11. Jon HOLLAND

AUS TEST 2018
    1. David WARNER
    2. Phillip HUGHES
    3. Joe BURNS
    4. Usman KHAWAJA
    5. Peter HANDSCOMB
    6. Moises HENRIQUES (vc)
    7. Tim PAINE
    8. James PATTINSON
    9. Peter SIDDLE (c)
    10. Mitchell STARC
    11. Cameron BOYCE

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    needs more ross whiteley.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I'm a sucker for these kind of teams

AUS ODI 2018
    1. Aaron FINCH
    2. Glenn MAXWELL
    3. Peter HANDSCOMB
    4. Steve SMITH
    5. Travis HEAD
    6. Moises HENRIQUES
    7. Tim LUDEMAN
    8. James FAULKNER
    9. Mitchell STARC
    10. Patrick CUMMINS
    11. Jon HOLLAND

AUS TEST 2018
    1. David WARNER
    2. Phillip HUGHES
    3. Joe BURNS
    4. Usman KHAWAJA
    5. Peter HANDSCOMB
    6. Moises HENRIQUES (vc)
    7. Tim PAINE
    8. James PATTINSON
    9. Peter SIDDLE (c)
    10. Mitchell STARC
    11. Cameron BOYCE
    You think the teams will be that different to each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You think the teams will be that different to each other?
    I don't really see not, I mean I'd be flat out predicting our team in 5 months time so my XI's in 5 years time are always going to be a little unusual. I just wanted to give shout outs to players I rate like Faulkner, Burns, Handscomb, Siddle etc.

Hughes
    Warner
    Khawaja
    Burns
    Clarke
    Henriques
    Wade
    Pattinson
    Starc
    Cummins
    Lyon

Bit conservative, but meh.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post

Yes I mean chances are a lot of these guys will still be around although they will be coming to the end of their careers- and their replacements will more likely to be guys in the lions setup like James Taylor and Jonny Bairstow than a random youngster with potential. It just looks better in 5 years time if we return to this thread and I picked out a Thakor or Overton and he is miraculously in the test team

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    needs more ross whiteley.
    I wrote a long list of every English player who could potentially play for England in the next 5 years and Whiteley was on the ODI and T20 list- but at present from my limited watching of his game his bowling isn't good enough to yet be considered a good allround option, and his batting although powerful isn't particularly consistent. He could definitely play for England though in the future but I'm guessing you'd know more about his game than me.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 02-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Nasir Jamshed
    Babar Azam
    Azhar Ali (c)
    Fawad Alam
    Usman Salahuddin
    Asad Shafiq
    Adnan Akmal (wk)
    Raza Hasan
    Mohammad Talha
    Junaid Khan
    Sadaf Hussain

Not too sure about Adnan in 5 years (will be 32) but he has been keeping well and I don't know any other domestic keepers in Pak cricket atm. Similarly Fawad will also be 32 and at this stage it looks as if he will never get a chance but I can hope. With regards to Talha, he is a talent but hasn't been doing too well recently, however I would like to see him get a chance (did really well against England in the warm up).
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 02-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.

In 5 years time Afridi will be 28 right and winning a recall to the test lineup?

Also seriously you don't think Amir will come back after his ban?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information