• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In 5 years time

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
OK I was bored. So I decided to try and decide what the England team would look like in 5 years time. Obviously predicting this kind of thing is stupid given the timeframe and I have no particular insight into English cricket and the young players coming through - apart from the occasional report and tv game.

Test

Cook (C) (Essex)
Chopra (Warwickshire)
Root (Yorkshire)
Ballance (Yorkshire)
Thakor (Leicestershire)
Stokes (Durham)
A Davies(WK) (Lancashire)
Finn (Middlesex)
J Overton (Somerset)
Topley (Essex)
Kerrigan (Lancashire)

ODI

Cook (Essex)
Kieswetter (Somerset)
Stokes (Durham)
Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Morgan (Middlesex)
Ansari (C) (Surrey)
Buttler(wk) (Somerset)
Gregory (Somerset)
Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Willey (Northants)
Finn (Middlesex)

T20

Stirling (Middlesex)
Kieswetter (Somerset)
Stokes (Durham)
Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Morgan (Middlesex)
Buttler (WK) (Somerset)
Ansari(C) (Surrey)
J Taylor (Gloucestershire)
Gregory (Somerset)
Finn (Middlesex)
Dernbach (Surrey)

As you can see you need to suspend your belief a bit. Realistically speaking Broad is much more likely to be in the test team that J Overton in 5 years and a few of the players playing today are likely to be still around but meh who cares.

Some Thoughts

Cook still rocking the test captaincy, continually unfazed. Giving the ODI captaincy up for some respite. Stokes fulfilling his potential at 6 in the tests and given full licence to thrill in the shorter formats.

Alex Davies just knicking out Ben Foakes in the test team as WK. Buttler given gloves in ODI and T20 where he is used as the closer in the batting order. Kieswetter returned after a couple of years to the top of the order with a more complete game- unfortunate to not have test honours.

Test bowling attack of Finn, Topley, Overton, Stokes, Kerrigan, Root. All variations. Occasionally erratic, sometimes brilliant.

Ansari dominated county attacks in OD and T20 from an early age and was plucked by England early and then given the captaincy. Ice cold under pressure and spin bowling ever improving. Gregory finally got over his injury troubles to become an expert limited overs bowler with good lower order batting skills. Dernbach still ****ing the haterz - return to test and odi teams is imminent in place of a weary Finn. Stirling pledged his allegiance to the English and is biffing attacks for fun.

England dominant and pioneers of the modern ODI and T20 formats with world cups to their name. Team in transistion in test cricket- #4 in the rankings

A true work of my imagination.

Anyone with some time care to predict the makeup of some other nations in 5 years time?

Howe_zat

Audio File
These things are always terrible in hindsight, but sure.

Leaving aside any 15-year olds who questionably earn the next set of selectors' backing I'll go

Cook
Root
Hales
Bell/Bopara/Wheater
Bairstow
Stokes
Prior
Rafique
Broad
Anderson
Finn

More conservative than the OP, but I'm honestly a bit perplexed as to why you've dumped 30-year olds Prior and Anderson out of the Test side with no explanation. If Prior goes, I'd plump for Foakes over Davies but tbh that's only because I've never heard of the latter. Broad is also definately part of the long-term plans. He'll come good.

Bell will hold a spot for at least a couple of years. He'll probably make a comeback if he scores a good few county runs too, which he has every time he's gone back. If not, Adam Wheater is my bolter for the average county cricketer who ups his game Trott-style. Bopara can't be killed off, he'll be a squaddie.

Rafique over Panesar or Kerrigan is part wishful thinking and part playing with the selectorial tropes we see in international sides. I think they'll be impressed by his T20I captaincy.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The side five years ago really wasn't that different, with the likes of Cook, Pietersen, Bell around, and Broad, Anderson, Swann and Prior making their returns/debuts within the next year.

I suspect the side we see in five years time won't be that different either.

Flem274*

123/5
Easiest middle order to name ever

Rutherford
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor (c)
Ryder
Flynn
Watling (wk)
Sodhi
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

Bowlers might change a bit and the openers and keeper could be anyone.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The side five years ago really wasn't that different, with the likes of Cook, Pietersen, Bell around, and Broad, Anderson, Swann and Prior making their returns/debuts within the next year.

The side which played the 3rd Test against New Zealand last time out...

Cook
Vaughan
Strauss
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Ambrose
Broad
Sidebottom
Panesar
Anderson

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
These things are always terrible in hindsight, but sure.

Leaving aside any 15-year olds who questionably earn the next set of selectors' backing I'll go

Cook
Root
Hales
Bell/Bopara/Wheater
Bairstow
Stokes
Prior
Rafique
Broad
Anderson
Finn

More conservative than the OP, but I'm honestly a bit perplexed as to why you've dumped 30-year olds Prior and Anderson out of the Test side with no explanation. If Prior goes, I'd plump for Foakes over Davies but tbh that's only because I've never heard of the latter. Broad is also definately part of the long-term plans. He'll come good.

Bell will hold a spot for at least a couple of years. He'll probably make a comeback if he scores a good few county runs too, which he has every time he's gone back. If not, Adam Wheater is my bolter for the average county cricketer who ups his game Trott-style. Bopara can't be killed off, he'll be a squaddie.

Rafique over Panesar or Kerrigan is part wishful thinking and part playing with the selectorial tropes we see in international sides. I think they'll be impressed by his T20I captaincy.
Yesssss Azeem Rafiq! Great post for that alone.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm a sucker for these kind of teams

AUS ODI 2018
1. Aaron FINCH
2. Glenn MAXWELL
3. Peter HANDSCOMB
4. Steve SMITH
5. Travis HEAD
6. Moises HENRIQUES
7. Tim LUDEMAN
8. James FAULKNER
9. Mitchell STARC
10. Patrick CUMMINS
11. Jon HOLLAND

AUS TEST 2018
1. David WARNER
2. Phillip HUGHES
3. Joe BURNS
4. Usman KHAWAJA
5. Peter HANDSCOMB
6. Moises HENRIQUES (vc)
7. Tim PAINE
8. James PATTINSON
9. Peter SIDDLE (c)
10. Mitchell STARC
11. Cameron BOYCE

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm a sucker for these kind of teams

AUS ODI 2018
1. Aaron FINCH
2. Glenn MAXWELL
3. Peter HANDSCOMB
4. Steve SMITH
5. Travis HEAD
6. Moises HENRIQUES
7. Tim LUDEMAN
8. James FAULKNER
9. Mitchell STARC
10. Patrick CUMMINS
11. Jon HOLLAND

AUS TEST 2018
1. David WARNER
2. Phillip HUGHES
3. Joe BURNS
4. Usman KHAWAJA
5. Peter HANDSCOMB
6. Moises HENRIQUES (vc)
7. Tim PAINE
8. James PATTINSON
9. Peter SIDDLE (c)
10. Mitchell STARC
11. Cameron BOYCE
You think the teams will be that different to each other?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You think the teams will be that different to each other?
I don't really see not, I mean I'd be flat out predicting our team in 5 months time so my XI's in 5 years time are always going to be a little unusual. I just wanted to give shout outs to players I rate like Faulkner, Burns, Handscomb, Siddle etc.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes
Warner
Khawaja
Burns
Clarke
Henriques
Wade
Pattinson
Starc
Cummins
Lyon

Bit conservative, but meh.

theegyptian

Yes I mean chances are a lot of these guys will still be around although they will be coming to the end of their careers- and their replacements will more likely to be guys in the lions setup like James Taylor and Jonny Bairstow than a random youngster with potential. It just looks better in 5 years time if we return to this thread and I picked out a Thakor or Overton and he is miraculously in the test team

needs more ross whiteley.
I wrote a long list of every English player who could potentially play for England in the next 5 years and Whiteley was on the ODI and T20 list- but at present from my limited watching of his game his bowling isn't good enough to yet be considered a good allround option, and his batting although powerful isn't particularly consistent. He could definitely play for England though in the future but I'm guessing you'd know more about his game than me.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Nasir Jamshed
Babar Azam
Azhar Ali (c)
Fawad Alam
Usman Salahuddin
Asad Shafiq
Adnan Akmal (wk)
Raza Hasan
Mohammad Talha
Junaid Khan
Sadaf Hussain

Not too sure about Adnan in 5 years (will be 32) but he has been keeping well and I don't know any other domestic keepers in Pak cricket atm. Similarly Fawad will also be 32 and at this stage it looks as if he will never get a chance but I can hope. With regards to Talha, he is a talent but hasn't been doing too well recently, however I would like to see him get a chance (did really well against England in the warm up).

Last edited:

theegyptian

In 5 years time Afridi will be 28 right and winning a recall to the test lineup?

Also seriously you don't think Amir will come back after his ban?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
In 5 years time Afridi will be 28 right and winning a recall to the test lineup?

Also seriously you don't think Amir will come back after his ban?
FFS Afridi will still be 16! Get your facts straight.

I was all for giving Amir a second chance but forgot about him the moment I saw Junaid destroy the Indian top order (taste it Xuhaib) in the recent ODI (a bit premature but who cares since I am a Pak fan and we love to hype our new bowlers to the likes of Wasim, Waqar and Imran), so Amir can now GTFO. We only want cheats if there is no one to replace them. :p

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook
Root
Vince
Bell
Bairstow
Prior
Woakes
Broad
Dockrell
Anderson
Finn

Fairly conservative, Woakes in their on the basis that his batting could be good enough to be a proper test match number 7 and not because of any shift in deciding they need 5 bowlers.

Vince is an entirely biased choice but I have no doubt that he has got the talent.

Dockrell because they are bound to steal someone.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Cook
Root
Vince
Bell
Bairstow
Prior
Woakes
Broad
Dockrell
Anderson
Finn

Fairly conservative, Woakes in their on the basis that his batting could be good enough to be a proper test match number 7 and not because of any shift in deciding they need 5 bowlers.

Vince is an entirely biased choice but I have no doubt that he has got the talent.

Dockrell because they are bound to steal someone.
Will they ever steal a South African spinner. :laugh:

Would love it though if England steal a genuinely quick Pak bowler, since PCB can't be trusted to develop one.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They have never stolen any South African players, I only have a problem when a player moves directly from another side.