• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cups or Test Series Victories?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
For mine South Africa should have won WC92, WC96 and definately WC99.
WC 92 they were in a terrible position and outplayed in the semi's

Can't remember what happened in 96

99, they did definitely blow it though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
So that's why Bangladesh have lost their last 40-odd ODIs, then?
I said "just about any"

Richard said:
Seriously, though, in ODIs the better side wins more often than not; in Tests the better side wins more often than not but even more so.
Almost all the middle sides have win-loss percentages around 50-50 - are you telling me that is because they're all equal then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
WC 92 they were in a terrible position and outplayed in the semi's

Can't remember what happened in 96

99, they did definitely blow it though.
Which was the 26-off-1-ball game? I though that was '92.
Or was that not a knockout game, was it part of that brilliant round-robin phrase?
In '96, if I remember rightly, they contrived to lose to West Indies.
In '99, hindsight suggests, it took just Allan Donald to make a louder call and Klusener to hit the ball past the infield next ball, and they'd have won the Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I said "just about any"

Almost all the middle sides have win-loss percentages around 50-50 - are you telling me that is because they're all equal then?
No, it's because most of them are appallingly inconsistent. Three years ago there were some superb teams around; now there have been plenty of losses due to retirements. Poor selection has weakened most teams further.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Which was the 26-off-1-ball game? I though that was '92.
It was.

They were outplayed throughout that game (nobody mentions the extreme measures they went to in ending 5 overs short of the quota when England's batsmen were clobbering them)