• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Philander a HTB?

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm loving Philander right now. He's the antithesis of the required modern day bowler where speed is everything.

That being said, he's going to struggle in the subcontinent.
I don't think he will be as lethal on the sub-continent but he won't need to be with a spinner possibly stepping up & Dale and Morne.

But in saying that, he has a very good record at Paarl domestically (arguably our lowest and slowest and dryest FC wicket) with 54 wickets @ 18.22. He has also done ok on 'A' tours out there. LBW's, bowled's etc would be to his liking.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I dont know why people say Philander bowled better than Steyn in England... averages arent the be all and end all ffs... Philander was average in England apart from one awesome final day. On the whole, Steyn picked up more wickets, made key breakthroughs and looked far more threatening imo
Yeah, I saw the series and this reminded me I thought the same. Searched in the tour thread and:

Yeah, Steyn averaging 29 is as deceiving to his performance as Anderson averaging 40, in my opinion. Philander had a h4x innings but Steyn was without doubt the stand out bowler of the series, I reckon. He came in with and bowled spells with the force of the devil and took wickets when the batting was stable so many times in the series. 15 wickets @ 29 or not, This series clearly was one befitting a great bowler, to be honest.

It obviously didn't help that he got whacked around a couple of time when Broad was going ballistic and the eventual and inevitable wicket went to someone else.
Philander was very very good by any standard though. If you're being the most miserly bowler in the world for the rest of the 3-match series and then step up and bowl an ATG spell when the match is hanging in the balance, you've done your job.

Steyn better though, yeah.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Tbh who knows. Right now Robbie P is in the role and it could go well for him. For quite some time he has shown he is better than some people think.

We have a pretty good record on the sub-continent so the players and staff will have to find something from somewhere like they normally do.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I dont know why people say Philander bowled better than Steyn in England... averages arent the be all and end all ffs... Philander was average in England apart from one awesome final day. On the whole, Steyn picked up more wickets, made key breakthroughs and looked far more threatening imo
He kept it incredibly tight all the time. That was one of the reasons England played so many more **** shots to average deliveries than they had in previous series. They were under so much pressure.

Satyanash89

Banned
He kept it incredibly tight all the time. That was one of the reasons England played so many more **** shots to average deliveries than they had in previous series. They were under so much pressure.
Yeah look, i never said he didnt do a good job... i agree he did well to keep things tight. Was just responding to someone who said that Steyn had been outperformed by Philander in England, which i dont think is true at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching him last night evoked memories of McGrath at Lord's.

Pretty high praise.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf McGrath and Asif's methods were pretty similar.
Indeed, but I don't think either Philander or Asif could claim to have anywhere near the consistency of McGrath.

They both bowl the odd delivery down the leg side that you'd never catch from McGrath.

Philander and Asif have a bit more ability to get movement both ways, and are a bit more skiddish.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, but I don't think either Philander or Asif could claim to have anywhere near the consistency of McGrath.

They both bowl the odd delivery down the leg side that you'd never catch from McGrath.

Philander and Asif have a bit more ability to get movement both ways, and are a bit more skiddish.
McGrath would occasionally bowl the wide half volley though, tbf.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't see the series and am happy to accept that Steyn was the better bowler.

Philander has statistically outshone Steyn everywhere but Australia.

Ruckus

International Captain
Predict Philander will be just as successful in the subcontinent. The idea that he is a 'htb' is horse****. His method is so simple and will work basically anywhere imo.