• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Christopher Martin-Jenkins

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
As an Australian I never came across CMJ's work on a regular basis, but from all accounts he was a huge figure in the cricketing media and a fantastic writer.

Rest in peace, cricket is far poorer for the losses this week.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hadn't realised he was ill either, and seems he all but died in harness - sad loss anyway, but the more so as I reckon he might prove to be the last of his line

RIP

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh my God !!

This is a massive loss to the game. What a doyen amongst the game's writers was CMJ. They don't make them like him any more :o(

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is really sad. A great writer and commentator of the old school. A tragic loss.

RIP.

grecian

I hadn't realised he was ill either, and seems he all but died in harness - sad loss anyway, but the more so as I reckon he might prove to be the last of his line

RIP
Yeah, this really end of a line, now we just get ex-players and pro-trolls.

His first para in that Greig ObIt, looks quite telling now.

"Tony Greig died of a heart attack on Saturday. It was probably for him a merciful release because the late stage of any cancer is often hell on earth. So, for most, is the toxic treatment given to try to cure the disease, administered by wonderful health workers. That, I’m sure, is much the same in Australia, where Tony, the impetuous enthusiast in a hurry, made his home since Kerry Packer barged his formidable frame through closed committee room doors.
"

RIP

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Shame he's dead but personally I never considered him that good either as a writer or commentator.

Solid County standard when set against the Test level of Arlott, Johnson, Benaud and even Agnew and Atherton (plus many others).

greg

International Debutant
Yeah, this really end of a line, now we just get ex-players and pro-trolls.

"Tony Greig died of a heart attack on Saturday. It was probably for him a merciful release because the late stage of any cancer is often hell on earth. So, for most, is the toxic treatment given to try to cure the disease, administered by wonderful health workers. That, I’m sure, is much the same in Australia, where Tony, the impetuous enthusiast in a hurry, made his home since Kerry Packer barged his formidable frame through closed committee room doors.
RIP
Yeah noticed that at the time - did indeed read a bit like a personal valedictory message, considering that i think Grieg hadn't actually started his treatment. Almost like CMJ was calling on a higher power to take him away.

RIP

Pothas

Awful news.

TMS probably the most integral sound of my childhood and CMJ was a brilliant part of that.

RIP

greg

International Debutant
Amazing to think that, although relatively young men, CMJ and Tony Grieg had between them notched up 75 years in the commentary box. One can easily see why many cricket fans in Australia, and now in England, will feel that a little bit of their own lives has died with them.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another huge loss for cricket. Enjoyed him immensely on TMS with Agnew, Blofeld & Boycott. RIP.