• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Christopher Martin-Jenkins

burr

State Vice-Captain
That's awful. I didn't even know he was ill. He was one of my favourites on TMS. So sad.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Shame he's dead but personally I never considered him that good either as a writer or commentator.

Solid County standard when set against the Test level of Arlott, Johnson, Benaud and even Agnew and Atherton (plus many others).
I can't agree with that. CMJ was one of my favourites. A true lover of the game who wrote and spoke on it amazingly.

I hope they can find some good new blood at TMS. With only Aggers and Blowers the only old guard left. Simon Mann is ok but anyone else they have tried just doesn't seem to fit.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes end of an era really with Tony Greig and CMJ passing away well before their time. There are few of the older generation left, but you wonder how much longer they can go on.

stumpski

International Captain
Does anyone remember if he was in India? It seems possible if he was still writing only two days ago. Not too many commentators now who didn't play the game professionally, Henry Blofeld (what a pity he never played that Test in India in '64, that was down to Micky Stewart's selfishness), Simon Mann (he's one for the namesakes thread, he's not related to George and Frank Mann although, oddly, the ex-mercenary is) and Alison Mitchell of course.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Victor's article says he last saw CMJ in November and he was "riddled with cancer" by then, so I'd guess it's unlikely he'd fly with late stage terminal cancer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You could well be right; there was an English stoicism about CMJ and, that he found the strength to write a tribute to Tony Greig in what must've almost literally been his own last hours, speaks to this.

An affectionate tribute from Adam Mountford the TMS producer on the Beeb's own site.

He notes that CMJ's disaterous timekeeping lead to his nickname of "the late CMJ". Tragic it's now literally true. :(

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
CMJ last commentated on TMS in the emirates series last January I think. They mentioned more than once that he was in ill health since then but I don't think it was said it was terminal.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to imagine two more different characters than the two departed Sussex legends Greig and CMJ. One larger-than-life and brash, the other more reserved and (as Vic Marks says) headmasterly. One the ground breaking pioneer, the other the conservative traditionalist. But they had much in common too. Both were positive of outlook, generous, monstrously hard working, of similar age, and each had a real claim to being the "voice of cricket" - or at least one of them - in the country where he worked. I'm genuinely shocked and saddened about their deaths.