Thread: Hidden Ashes

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar

Hidden Ashes

Discovered these superb videos of the 2005 Ashes series while recovering on the sofa this afternoon;

Ashes 2005 - HIDDEN ASHES - First Test - Lord's - YouTube

Ashes 2005 - HIDDEN ASHES - Second Test - Edgbaston - YouTube

Ashes 2005 - HIDDEN ASHES - Third Test - Old Trafford - YouTube

Ashes 2005 - HIDDEN ASHES - Fourth Test - Trent Bridge - YouTube

Ashes 2005 - HIDDEN ASHES - Fifth Test - The Oval - YouTube

Here's some random thoughts after watching all 5 Tests;

We all remember the bowling of Flintoff, but Simon Jones was an unsung hero who set-up the series victory for England. If his knees didn't cave-in then his career would have been as successful as Waqar Younis. He really was that good.

Australia relied too much on Glenn McGrath to get them out-of-gaol; and when he wasn't around because of an ankle injury - lost.

Ashley Giles was an ordinary player but had a great temperment that enabled him to score vital runs under pressure and chip in with timely wickets.

Matt Hoggard was a great swing bowler on English pitches.

Ricky Ponting had a habit of making bad decisions at key moments that cost.

Adam Gilchrist having a dismal series with the bat was a major contributing factor to Australia losing.

Brett Lee was probably a better bowler, better batsman, and more valuable player than we give him credit for.

Warne was as good a show-man on the field as he was a spin bowler.

In effect, England won the series with only 10 players because Bell's contribution was relatively nothing.

Both batting line-ups were eratic and inconsistent but individual English batsman managed to score big when it really mattered.
    Last edited by watson; 01-01-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Here's my thoughts on the 2005 Ashes - oh wait i cant be stuffed typing 5832 swear words.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Jones could never have lasted once the ICC rightly clamped down on the overuse of sub fielders for bowlers who had a six over spell and needed to pop off the field for a drink, a towel down, some coaching tips and a packet of Murray Mints.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    shoulda played macgill in the 5th test
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Spectator
    Posting my first comment since my last visit! "You last visited: 14-04-2007 at 02:37 AM"

Simon Jones was probably the best bowler after Warne and Flintoff in the series. Had expected great things from him. Unfortunately, his body did not hold up! Hope he ends his career brightly at Glamorgan.

Warne was chosen as a better cpt ahead of Ponting by the viewers back then.
    Flintoff and Warne lead the charge | Cricket Features | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Brad Hodge should have come in at some point in the series. Perhaps for Katich (248 runs at an avg of 27.55 in 9 innings) OR Martyn (178 runs at an avg of 19.77 in 9 innings)

Graham Thorpe should have not been forced to retire and should have played ahead of Ian Bell or even Collingwood in the one match he played.

Trescothick was very consistent but is not given the credit as much as he deserves for the series win.

Also do watch another documentary "Ashes Fever" which is also on youtube! Its good!

Thread Information