• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations to Glenn Mcgrath for being inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I remember the first time I heard about McGrath was from my father before the 1996 world cup. I was doing this newspaper exercise of making a world XI before WC started. Back then I did not know about cricketers round the world as much. My dad suggested that I should pick McGrath who he said was going to be a great bowler. I was familiar with names like Akram and Ambrose, but McGrath was an unknown name. Now looking back, I wonder how did my dad foresee McGrath's greatness. Don't know if he expected to be proven right so emphatically in another decade's time! The first time I saw him and was instantly impressed was in the match against India in Mumbai in same world cup. He sent down 3 (?) straight maidens before Tendulkar went on to take him apart for quite a few.

Just a random story that comes to my mind whenever I think of McGrath.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
the first time I remember hearing of McGrath and wondered if he would be as good McDermott because McDermott used to spearhead the Aussie attack at that time

Arachnodouche

International Captain
If bowling is about analyzing a batsman's weaknesses and getting him out in the most efficient manner possible (and of course it is), then Mcgrath is bowling refined to purest principles. Greatest for mine, too.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Great achievement, but it is meaningless unless he's named one of the Opening bowlers for the Best ODI XI from the Tendulkar Era.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He's close to the best quick ever.

Right there, along with Lillee, Marshall, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Waqar and Donald imo.

Well deserved.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Congreats to Mcgrath, imo the second greatest fast bowler to have played the game.