• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best technique

deeps

International 12th Man
Which cricketer of the MODERN ERA (ie past 20 years or so) has the best technique as a batsman?

My vote goes to Rahul Dravid....

Craig

World Traveller
Also Michael Vaughan has a nice simple technique. So good mine is similar in many ways.

Ramnaresh Sarwan is perhaps the most technically correct batsman in the West Indies team.

jagaways

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
pfft anyone who thinks there is a cricketer who is more stylish and has a better technique than Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar...look out the window and try 2 spot a few flying pigs. tendulkar's technique is better than even bradman's.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Ramnaresh Sarwan is perhaps the most technically correct batsman in the West Indies team.
Ganga is far better technically than Sarwan. In fact, IMO Ganga has at least as good technique as anyone in the world.

Dravid has excellent technique too.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I have been watching cricket for the last twenty years or so and I dont think I have seen a more solid batsman than Martin Crowe.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to pick. A little too hard, m'thinks. I'll give it a try, though.

Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar is the supreme technician in my opinion. It's tough to pick a weakness in his game and if there is a genuine technical flaw, I'm yet to see it. And having seen a LOT of Rahul Dravid at Adelaide Oval today (and enjoyed every second of it), I've yet to see someone look more at ease and technically sound than him too. Martin Crowe was also a technician of the highest acclaim, particularly against spinners. Matthew Hayden's technique is near flawless if I had to name an Aussie. And then there was Viv who's technique was far more sound and in some cases orthodox than most give him credit for.

Nah, too tough to pick. Once you reach the top level, the successful amongst us have pretty much nutted out their technique I reckon.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jagaways said:
pfft anyone who thinks there is a cricketer who is more stylish and has a better technique than Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar...look out the window and try 2 spot a few flying pigs. tendulkar's technique is better than even bradman's.
So - how many times did you see Bradman, then?

Tendulkar is wonderfully stylish - but very 'loose' too.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah with his low backlift it was easier to play quick bowlers IMO, especially the types of Shoiab and Lee.

Gooch had a high backlift and so does Butchet yet it they are both more then decent enough players.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Crowe was technically very good, but it was too bad he was very arrogant to go with it.

I'd say Dravid...he's scored runs everywhere consistently..except for that one blip in Australia last time around.

thierry henry

International Coach
I just posted something like this at another site, but jeez Dravid is awesome. He'd be my pick technically any day, and he really is something of an underappreciated cricketer.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
martin crowe was not only good against spin but also against fast bowling. I remember the series against Pakistan when Waqar Younis was at his peak. Crowe looked in no problem at all. I dont think I have seen anyone play pacey swing bowling so late.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I will Throw Damian Martyn into this list.

Other than Tendulkar I dont think Anyone plays a more solid looking backfoot deffense.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Damien Martyn has the best technique in the Australian team.

In the world - probably Tendulkar, but Vaughan is very good as well.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Yep, of course I am going for Damien Martyn too. Not because he's my favourite, but as a factor in why hes my favourite.
He does not need to take any risks in his batting, and he makes it look very easy. He doesnt wack the ball around, but rather sticks to a basic, neat, calm and upright technique.

Langeveldt

Soutie
These guys spring immediately to mind, nothing better when watching a test match than seeing a guy with an immaculate technique... Straight from the textbook :D

1. Marvan Attapattu
2. Michael Vaughan
3. Daren Ganga
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Neil McKenzie
6. Jacques Rudolph

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with the first five but Rudolph's extreme vulnerability to the inswinger means to me that he's less than perfect.