• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Australia's Batting Problems

uvelocity

International Coach
1. Number Three
2. Number Six
3. Shane Watson's Extremities
4. Now Do We Move Clarkeh?
5. All The Potential Replacements Suck

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
2 & 5

Replacing Hussey with one of the rubbish FC bats we've got going around isn't looking good. George Bailey better do something in the Shield ASAP.

archie mac

International Coach
No Hussey for England is a big blow. I am still not convinced about Hughes the SLs have bowled poorly to him this series, you would think they would have learned from NZ last summer. I am sure England will have and I expect him to struggle in the Ashes.

No Ponting, no Hussey and Watson who should change his name to Tampon.

In for one match out for three:ph34r:

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
The biggest problem is going to be Watson's imminent shift from all-rounder to batsmen and very part-time trundler.

Hussey's retirement compounds the lack of seam options and the selectors are poised for some crazy ****.

First we had Smith, then we almost had Christian. Now Maxwell is around.

I think our current selectors have generally made solid selections, but their all-round fetish is going to be seriously indulged now that six has opened up and Watson is hobbled.

A fit Andy Mac might have been their best steady option at 6 but I fear they'll be talking up any form shown by Henriques, Christian, MMarsh and Maxwell hard over the short/medium term.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Nominate:

- Phil Hughes being coddled (see 'cherry ripe' quote by his batting coach)
- Usman Khawaja being an undisciplined ****
- Rob Quiney not getting a proper go
- Langer as batting coach
- No partnership culture except between Clarke and Hussey (now a historical footnote)
- Completely ignoring David Hussey as a stopgap despite his ****load of international experience

Last edited:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I would almost consider moving Watson into the opening position again (with no bowling) as that seems to be what he game is most suited to and where he performs best. In fact, if the Cowan/Warner had not starting working quite well together recently this would have been a no-brainer.

But considering that won't happen, do we move Watson to 6 to assume the Hussey role and try to find a permanent number 4? Or does Watto stay at 4 to keep the stability while 6 becomes a revolving door for the likes of Khawaja/Bailey/Maxwell/etc over the next 12 months?

I have a bad feeling it will be the latter :/

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
IMO, Clarke's form entitles him to bat wherever he ****ing well wants. In any case, he's comfortably the best player of spin in the world at the present moment, and 5 is the ideal place for that.

During any of his double hundreds, has he ever been stranded with the tail? If not, he's high enough.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think he's so much as batted with the tail in any of his doubles, let alone gotten stranded

uvelocity

International Coach
Yeah but no hussey, wade has been ok.... How many double hundreds will he make batting 5 with **** all above and below him? Be the new chanders. Good nominations all the same from you

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Splitting hairs here, but I wouldn't be uncomfortable at all with Wade batting 6 and Watson at 7.

Assuming Watto can be arsed to roll over 10 overs an innings.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
IMO, Clarke's form entitles him to bat wherever he ****ing well wants. In any case, he's comfortably the best player of spin in the world at the present moment, and 5 is the ideal place for that.
Was going to say Amla was, but then realised he got stumped by Warner so fair enough.