• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll 2: Opening batsmen for the Best ODI XI from the Tendulkar Era

Who will open the batting for the Best XI from the Tendulkar Era?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
purely as an opener gilly is on par with anwar. i would even say he was a tad better. that kind of explosive batting which sets up match winning positions, only gilly produced so often
errr...No

Through the noughties Hayden was there too.

Jayasuriya could also set up match winning positions and Anwar could build a better innings.

Gilly did have the luxury of such an awesome middle order coming after him. His record could have been better.

I think people are mixing his test match performances here

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I went with Hayden to partner Sachin...although in hindsight should have picked someone more explosive like Gayle/Sanath/Gilly.
I would have gone with Hayden too but for the fact that I wanted Gilchrist as the wicket keeper batsman and I thought, wrongly it appears, that since he batted almost exclusively as an opener, he may not be accepted at another spot in the batting order. If we were asked to name all 11 players together Irrespective of whether they batted at a particular spot or not, I too would open with Sachin's and Hayden with Gilchrist to boost the run rate in the latter part of the innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Even Mark Waugh is a great choice to partner Sachin. . . Or Amla for that matter. It would be a treat for the eyes to have Sachin and Mark Waugh batting together. A partnership feast for the Gods.

bagapath

International Captain
errr...No

Through the noughties Hayden was there too.

Jayasuriya could also set up match winning positions and Anwar could build a better innings.

Gilly did have the luxury of such an awesome middle order coming after him. His record could have been better.

I think people are mixing his test match performances here
16 centuries. 97 SR. no one is better.

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
dilshan a shout as opener, played 98 innings for an average of 43, strike rate 92, 13 centuries as opener. gayle also a good choice and gilchrist to.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sure, but Lara and Sachin batting together will be better for that purpose IMO..
imo, Mark Waugh was the most, elegant, aesthetically pleasing batsman in my time of cricket viewing. Just superb. Was everything I ever wanted to be as a batsman.

Master craftsman.

Satyanash89

Banned
Went for Tendulkar and Gilly.
Always prefer a left-right combination and imo. a destructive opener is an absolute must in odis. Ideally, Gilly provides a rocket start and Tendulkar plays like he always does, aiming to stay till the 35th or 40th over.