Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Batsmen's highest / lowest / final averages

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    Looking at consistancy, Javed Miandad's lowest average was 51.74 after his 45th Test (76 innings) and he retired with an average of 52.57 after 124 tests (189 innings)

However he averaged 57.41 after 100 tests before he dropped 5 runs in his last 24 tests.
    Wow. If he retired after 100 tests, would he have been rated higher than he is? One wonders...
    RIP Phil Hughes. You were destined for cricketing glories!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Around 2007 I was thinking that Ponting was a freak, his average is just going to keep going up and thought people underappreciated him. Remember arguing with Manan, him saying Ponting would need an average of 60+ to be better than Tendulkar (who at the time was in crap form IIRC).
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    I recall as well thinking that Ponting was going to be remembered as the best batsman of the era, just a drastic drop off after though.
    I remember telling everyone to cool their jets when they said Ponting had a better chance of breaking Lara's highest run record over Sachin. Also said Kallis is the likeliest to break Sachins run tally as his technique is tight and hence age will affect him less than Ponting. Also the fact he is a cyborg sent from another planet to dominate cricket in all forms and in every facet.

If Sachin or Kallis secure the highest run tally I win, but then there is the possibility of Ali Cook securing it and that prick SilentStriker wins. That will be an awful result.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Well it'd be an awful result in the sense that we have to sit through another 8,000 Alastair Cook runs.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Lol
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Realistically, given England plays so much more test cricket than anyone else and his realtive youth, if he stays fit Cook's a real chance to finish with the highest aggregate of test runs.

He's played 87 tests in a little over six and a half years. He was 28 on Xmas Day, so he should have at least another 8 years ahead of him. That's about a hundred tests to come so possibly another 8k runs to add onto his current tally.

He goes on past that and he'll be a shoo in.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Looking at consistancy, Javed Miandad's lowest average was 51.74 after his 45th Test (76 innings) and he retired with an average of 52.57 after 124 tests (189 innings)

However he averaged 57.41 after 100 tests before he dropped 5 runs in his last 24 tests.
    WAG. He mentioned in his biography how proud he is that his average never fell below 50 his entire career.

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Never knew that about me and dad.

Great player for us.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Ponting definitely hit 60 in late 2006. Was never the same batsman from 2007 onwards though.
    If Ponting had scored 1 more run at Adelaide in the 2006/07 Ashes then he'd have had an average of exactly 60 at that point in his career.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    WAG. He mentioned in his biography how proud he is that his average never fell below 50 his entire career.
    I think that he and Herbert Sutcliffe are the only two players in history (with more than a handful of Tests) to have done that.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I think that he and Herbert Sutcliffe are the only two players in history (with more than a handful of Tests) to have done that.
    Yes, Sutcliffe's lowest average was 60.73 which was in his last of 54 Tests (averaged 69.80 after his 40th Test).

Frank Worrell was very close though with 49.48 after 51 Tests. He had 53.40 in his 47th and then 50.01 in his 50th before droppping below in his last Test.

Yes, Sutcliffe's lowest average was 60.73 which was in his last of 54 Tests (averaged 69.80 after his 40th Test).

Frank Worrell was very close though with 49.48 after 51 Tests. He had 53.40 in his 47th and then 50.01 in his 50th before droppping below in his last Test.
    And yet people seldom rate Sutcliffe in the same bracket as Hobbs/Hutton.

Lack of surname starting with H the main issue imo.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Sutcliffe is always in contention in English (and overall) ATG sides. It's just Hobbs had the added longevity and the greater reputation, and Hutton's runscoring feats were to difficult to ignore.

Sutcliffe is third on that list of English openers by a mile, and he's in the top 5 of all-time by my reckoning.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Sutcliffe is always in contention in English (and overall) ATG sides. It's just Hobbs had the added longevity and the greater reputation, and Hutton's runscoring feats were to difficult to ignore.

Sutcliffe is third on that list of English openers by a mile, and he's in the top 5 of all-time by my reckoning.
    Yep, thats the problem for me, most rank him 3rd! I mean, being considered the 3rd best opener of all time isn't bad at all, but, a batsman of his quality can't even make it to his countries all-time XI in most peoples eyes =/. Personally I rank him between Hobbs and Hutton, with Gavaskar 4th.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Sutcliffe was always the second fiddle to the main act that was Hobbs, and that was because for people who watched them Hobbs was the better batsman and that master. Sutcliffe simply batted very slowly, even more slowly than Hutton and Hutton played againts vastly better bowlers and had a magnificant technique. Sutcliffe was also helped by the presence of Hobbs as Hobbs scoring freely at one end would have taken the pressue off of Sutcliffe and Hobbs seems to have made all who opened with him better including Rhodes.
    I would rank them Hobbs/Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe and a drop off there after. Boycott, Greenidge, Morris, Simson, Hayden (?) ect all included in the next group.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information