• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Ruckus

International Captain
When asked whether he was too old for the gig, 35-year-old Hussey joked: 'I'm 29 - what are you talking about?

'I guess my advantage is I've played for a long time. I know my game pretty well. I've made a lot of first-class runs.

'Allegedly I'm a very good player of spin, so I'd love to prove myself against the Indians.'

Funny man

aussie tragic

International Captain
Some Australian records for Huss

6th highest average, just above Steve Waugh (to stay there he can score 0 in 1 inn, or 48 runs in 2 inn)

12th highest run scorer, whereby he'll sit between Bradman and Harvey

12th highest number of centuries where he equals Mark Taylor, however in 26 less Tests (if he gets another he can be equal 11th with Mark Waugh, however in 49 less Tests)

the big bambino

International Captain
Would just like to congratulate Hussey for hogging a batting space for a whole summer designed to groom a team for the ashes. In fact congratulations to he and Ponting and the selectors that enabled them, to keep playing when we should have been rebuilding since 2009. Since then 2 ashes series have gone by and Australia will now be forced to build a team during the next ashes instead of having one ready for it.

So congats to them both....slow hand :clapping:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i dunno know, the guy's kinda got a point. katich (and to a lesser extent, usman) took bullets for hussey and ponting, with an eye to the ashes, and they've both ****ed off before it anyway. and it seems hussey decided to retire before the summer started, and kept it from everybody until after the squad for the last test of the summer had been picked. that's kinda annoying. no wonder they're thinking of not giving hussey a farewell ODI series. what a ****.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If there were guys batting well enough to displace Hussey, he'd have been dropped ages ago. Fact.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I hope they make him open or come in at three tomorrow.

Also sad sight that Sri-lanka didn't expect him to appear on the field as a batsman twice.

the big bambino

International Captain
If there were guys batting well enough to displace Hussey, he'd have been dropped ages ago. Fact.
Given their age and long absences of form since Hussey and Ponting shouldve been dropped not long after 2009 rather then waiting for them to retire now. Aus got nothing from them though Hussey did manage to produce some career saving and statistical boosting innings eventually. Precious little for the team though. Fact is both got in the way of rebuilding and now both hogged the best part of the summer so we are no nearer settling their replacements for the ashes (which I acknowledge aren't the only tests but pretty important all the same)

Do I really have to start adding these tedious riders for the benefit of the pedants here?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This should be good.

Who exactly should have been playing for Australia for the last 3 years instead of Hussey?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Given their age and long absences of form since Hussey and Ponting shouldve been dropped not long after 2009 rather then waiting for them to retire now. Aus got nothing from them though Hussey did manage to produce some career saving and statistical boosting innings eventually. Precious little for the team though. Fact is both got in the way of rebuilding and now both hogged the best part of the summer so we are no nearer settling their replacements for the ashes (which I acknowledge aren't the only tests but pretty important all the same)

Do I really have to start adding these tedious riders for the benefit of the pedants here?
I remember calling for Hussey's head numerous times throughout 2009 but I'm more than willing to acknowledge that he has more than earned his spot for the past few years and to suggest otherwise is frankly ludicrous.

the big bambino

International Captain
I remember calling for Hussey's head numerous times throughout 2009 but I'm more than willing to acknowledge that he has more than earned his spot for the past few years and to suggest otherwise is frankly ludicrous.
Hussey's form was atrocious leading up to the 2009 ashes. Like a rat he saved his spot while his team sunk around him at the Oval. At stage he was 34 and had enough chances. Thats when he should have been dropped which makes the highlighted qualification irrelevant.

Even Hussey's runs since then have done wonders for his ave but little for the team which is the true measure of their worth. Save the 116 at Perth in 2010 Hussey hasn't played a meaningful innings stretching back to his el nino like drought of runs up to the Oval in 09.

What was clear is that we had lost the ashes in 2009. That was the benchmark. Why would anyone expect that much the same team would have done any better in 2010/11? Especially as England had sought to improve their winning team. What excuse did Australia have to persist with the same ageing has beens? If younger players like Hughes and Usman or even older ones like Katich didn't get the same licence the why should have Hussey or Ponting? So there were alternatives. Its just that they came in for the wrong people.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey's form was atrocious leading up to the 2009 ashes. Like a rat he saved his spot while his team sunk around him at the Oval. At stage he was 34 and had enough chances. Thats when he should have been dropped which makes the highlighted qualification irrelevant.

Even Hussey's runs since then have done wonders for his ave but little for the team which is the true measure of their worth. Save the 116 at Perth in 2010 Hussey hasn't played a meaningful innings stretching back to his el nino like drought of runs up to the Oval in 09.

What was clear is that we had lost the ashes in 2009. That was the benchmark. Why would anyone expect that much the same team would have done any better in 2010/11? Especially as England had sought to improve their winning team. What excuse did Australia have to persist with the same ageing has beens? If younger players like Hughes and Usman or even older ones like Katich didn't get the same licence the why should have Hussey or Ponting? So there were alternatives. Its just that they came in for the wrong people.
I completely disagree with you.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
SCG against Pakistan? Gabba in the Ashes? Whole of the Sri Lanka tour?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't completely disagree with bambino, if Huss wasn't as nice a bloke as he is, it would be pretty much a massive **** you Australia for leaving us in the lurch at an important time with big Test series coming up.

I don't really get why he couldn't just retire from the short formats of the game. The time needed away from home just for the Test matches isn't THAT long.

Life does go on..

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't completely disagree with bambino, if Huss wasn't as nice a bloke as he is, it would be pretty much a massive **** you Australia for leaving us in the lurch at an important time with big Test series coming up.

I don't really get why he couldn't just retire from the short formats of the game. The time needed away from home just for the Test matches isn't THAT long.

Life does go on..
I thought that Warne's retirement was worse.

He knew that Langer and McGrath were retiring. He was only 35 and he was in the selectors minds for at least the next 2-4 years. Realistically Hussey was going to be given the tap after the Ashes anyway and if he's not as hungry for runs as he could be then it's probably a good thing that he's retired.