• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think if Ponting was stripped of the captaincy at the end of 09 there would not have been an uproar. Yes it would have been a big call with some saying it was not right, but overall it would not have been THAT controversial. And surely its not too farfetched to think that Ponting may have been dropped after the SA series if he had not retired.

Selectors just did not think it was best, rightly or wrongly, back in 09.

Ruckus

International Captain
sorry just understood what you meant by your post b4 Jono. Actually meant to write 2010 Ashes instead of 2009.

And yeah they dropped him from OD's but that's not really equivalent. Might have even been a move to allow him to focus on his test batting, who knows.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Won't find many Poms who would describe Hayden's efforts in 2005 similarly...
No, true.

However, aside from the obvious difference in affection the two players engender (if one prefers Hayden one tends to be a Cane Toad, as I believe you chaps call QLDers), they were different innings, tbf. Hayden scored a very un-Haydenlike ton (slow, stodgy, dogged) when Oz were chasing a decent-ish (376 from memory?) first innings knock with dodgy weather about and a game that needed to be won.

Hussey scored a rearguard ton in the fourth innings with the game to be saved or even possible won, but time and crease occupation was of the essence.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no hussey scored a golden duck when the game was to be saved or even possibly won

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still a good point from you. Classic case of over-emphasising 4th innings knocks as "when the game was there to be won". Hussey was ****house that series.

Didn't he run Ponting out too? :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Players like Ponting and Tendulkar just aren't dropped very easily though are they? It ends up being on their shoulders to make the decision. And that's fine if they are 100% honest with themselves about their ability to contribute, but that's usually only good in theory. Not that many champion players are going to be particularly good judges of something like that either because one of the very qualities that makes them the best - a never-say-die attitude - directly opposes that kind of reasoning.
It's impossible for someone like Ponting or Tendulkar to be 100% honest with themselves because part of a top class sportsman's make up is the self confidence and self belief that they are better than anyone else. If they didn't have that self belief they wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in Test cricket.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's impossible for someone like Ponting or Tendulkar to be 100% honest with themselves because part of a top class sportsman's make up is the self confidence and self belief that they are better than anyone else. If they didn't have that self belief they wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in Test cricket.
That's exactly what I already said.

It doesn't matter when you score runs[/ruckus]
I've never said this.

uvelocity

International Coach
Watson's pattern of scoring at the moment is more like 50 (1st innings), 50 (2nd innings) than 100 (1st innings), 0 (2nd innings). It makes no difference to the game which of these scoring patterns a player has - it only matters what they are averaging. You could argue that Watson should be converting more of his 50's, but that would mean he would be averaging far more than 50 as an opener which is asking too much.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/ash...ses-post-2007-ashes-series-2.html#post2404056

thanks for playing

Spark

Global Moderator
OT but Watson's slump really hammers a point I and several others (T_C and benchy in particular IIRC) have been saying for ages - Watson's inability to convert starts was a real problem despite the fact that he was averaging 45-odd because he was failing to cash in on good form. And now that he's not in such good nick, his record looks distinctly mediocre.

And yes, 1st innings runs >>>>> 2nd innings runs. Michael Clarke to confirm.

Ruckus

International Captain
Na i knew some predictable **** would quote that argument. Its got nothing to with when runs are scored per se. it was an argument about scoring patterns across a match, all others things being equal. That particular argument does not attempt to differentiate in what conditions the runs were scored, against what bowling, under pressure etc. - things that clearly do matter.

Spikey

OT but Watson's slump really hammers a point I and several others (T_C and benchy in particular IIRC) have been saying for ages - Watson's inability to convert starts was a real problem despite the fact that he was averaging 45-odd because he was failing to cash in on good form. And now that he's not in such good nick, his record looks distinctly mediocre.

And yes, 1st innings runs >>>>> 2nd innings runs. Michael Clarke to confirm.
should probably bring that thread onto here, and bump it for the lulz

Spark

Global Moderator
Maybe not benchy actually. In fact, I have nfi who was saying it other than me. But people were saying it.

benchmark00

Iirc I was saying it too, but a little different. I was saying his inability to cash in will be a problem for him later on because he won't have big innings' to fall back on when it comes to a period of bad form, so he has nothing to hang his hat on at the selection table. Also said that making fifties is good for an opener and shouldn't be dropped because his primary job is to take the shine off, and we had no better alternatives to do that as consistently at that stage.

Did note that cashing in on his starts was a mental thing, and it would be good if he finally did this as you want your players to turn half scores into big scores, especially when in form.