Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Yeah, read he's playing IPL. But people are forgetting the training etc that he'd still have to be doing as a part of the Test and ODI sides. It's not just matches.

Training is done in Australia, he is happy to travel around Australia, just not going overseas for extended periods.

The length of time he'll spend at the IPL will be as long as the time spent with the Test squad in India.

They come out of retirement for the IPL so its no big surprise he's still playing.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    How close are Hussey's and Neil Harvey's Test records

Harvey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 10 no, 6149 runs @ 48.41, 21 centuries, 24 fifties
    Hussey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 16 no, 6235 runs @ 51.52, 19 centuries, 29 fifties

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Warne had done enough in his career to retire on his own terms and retired at pretty much the ultimate time, a 5-0 drubbing against the old enemy, it can't be sweeter than that. Is Huss, a lover of cricket going to sit back when he's older and going to regret that he finished off against SL instead of testing himself again against India and England, yes IMO.
    Yeah I reckon he will for sure. Was probably stressed from six months of fairly continuous cricket (i think?) and putting his feet up for a bit before India would have been enough
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Exactly, a very small time frame. I'll say even 3 months, a quarter of a year to help out a quarter of 100 million supporters.
    That's a huge amount of time for someone who doesn't have the heart to do it anymore.

Australia play almost non stop cricket for the next year. The next opportunity Hussey will have to spend a bit of time at home with the family IIRC if he didn't retire now would be February 2014.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    And if he retired from the shorter formats only?

If he doesn't want to play then he shouldn't ****ing play. He doesn't owe anyone anything.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    And if he retired from the shorter formats only?
    He spends 3 of the 6 months between February and August on tour.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If he doesn't want to play then he shouldn't ****ing play. He doesn't owe anyone anything.
    Got some pretty troubling gambling debts itbt
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    How close are Hussey's and Neil Harvey's Test records

Harvey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 10 no, 6149 runs @ 48.41, 21 centuries, 24 fifties
    Hussey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 16 no, 6235 runs @ 51.52, 19 centuries, 29 fifties
    I think both had remarkable peaks and troughs in their form too.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Logic: Hussey's ton at the Gabba led to the bowlers conceding 1/517.
    Solid stuff.

And clearly, runs scored after you've been dropped don't help the team at all. Because, y'know, that would just be inconvenient. And Galle was a road too.
    Not that anyone said that. Apart from you. Come to think of it no one said the 3rd sentence either. Apart from you.

Galle was a road though. You got that right. Go and tell mum what a clever boy you are.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    For the record, feel free to check, but I was in the crowd saying Hussey should be dropped in '09, possibly before the Oval Test. That said, what became apparent fairly quickly was that there was noone to replace him because there was no-one putting serious pressure on his spot. The young blokes in line for his spot didn't look like Test players and the guys who were scoring in Shield cricket were 30+, hardly the foundations of a youthful rebuild of the team. Hussey dropping back to 6 meant he could at least play a role no-one else was up to and that he did. It's not his fault that 3 years on there are still blokes who don't look up to it and, even with the dearth of decent bats in the country, there should be some sense that a bloke has earnt his spot in the Test side.

You can't just pick young blokes under the pretense of 'investing' in them unless they have performances behind them or obviously have the game to survive playing Tests. Tests are a harsh place to develop your game.
    Hussey's form up to his career saving Oval effort was poor to dropable. It didn't get much better until he saved his own life again with an fc ton before the 1st test in 2010/11. You are right that we didn't have many replacements but people were dropped during the time of Hussey's run drought. He managed to dodge the bullets though and defined himself as a man who could score runs for the benefit of his average. He could have been dropped and yet still treated better than Hughes or Katich or even Usman. A man of his ambition may then have fought his way back into the side and still have enough of it to play Eng now. If not we still would have been a few more years into rebuilding than we are now. Shouldve been gone by 09.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Not that anyone said that. Apart from you. Come to think of it no one said the 3rd sentence either. Apart from you.

Galle was a road though. You got that right. Go and tell mum what a clever boy you are.
    So basically you've decided to complete change the argument after bringing up competely rubbish pieces of evidence - you were given clear examples of where Hussey's runs had helped the team and you dismissed them. Your argument that Hussey did not score useful runs for the team is complete nonsense and only holds up if you completely discard huge amounts of cricket this team played.

And on that, you didn't watch Galle, did you? At all.
    Last edited by Spark; 07-01-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    So basically you've decided to complete change the argument after bringing up competely rubbish pieces of evidence - you were given clear examples of where Hussey's runs had helped the team and you dismissed them. Your argument that Hussey did not score useful runs for the team is complete nonsense and only holds up if you completely discard huge amounts of cricket this team played.

And on that, you didn't watch Galle, did you? At all.
    I just basically told you to stop making stuff up. If you reckon I've said something wrong then address it directly. Don't put words in my mouth and then exclaim A HA! Gotcha!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information