• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I believe so. I reckon he, McGrath and Langer would have called it quits if they'd won in 2005. Would have been quite interesting to know how the 2006/7 series would have gone had that been the case.

say2chintu

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, he's no Suresh Raina as a Test player, that's for sure.
Nice, so I point out Hussey's poor TEST record in Eng (7 tests), SA (8 tests), WI (6 tests), NZ (2 tests) and you compare him RAINA (the slogger) of all people. WoW !!

Only thing Raina has in common with Hussey is he is also a leftie and equally good fielder. Thats all. He might go on to average more than Hussey in ODI WORLD Cups (19 is not that difficult to beat you see) but thats where the story will end.

People defending Hussey's record in Eng/SA/WI because 'poor form/ lack of tests' in these countries - Give me a break. 15 tests combined in Eng+SA are more than enough to judge. I will give NZ because only 2 test series. Wi was hard to understand though. But by similar logic in making excuses, one can then go on to say Hussey averaged 90 in SL in his only test series in 2011 because SL didn't had MURALI and even MENDIS who had just taken a 6fer vs Aus in T20 and got injured before test series (which I DON"T believe)

I still think Huseey was a superb player of spin bowling everywhere including in Asia but he more or less struggled against quality swing bowling in helpful conditions (all top players would struggle there too, Hussey struggled more )

Take a look. He scores @90 vs SL in SL in 2011. Good form? Yes -> Goes to SA straight away and scores nothing in 2 tests (2011, where even Shaun Marsh scored some runs of all people) Bad form ? eh !! Comes back to Aus, struggles vs NZ EVEN AT HOME because ball swung a lot more at Gabba and Hobart (again Bad form?) . Indian bowling in sights, Huseey cashes in!!

IMO his retirement was the best decision for Aus also in long run. Nice time to groom a youngster in India (not a daunting place anymore, no bowlers actually and batsman are sleeping since 2Apr-2011 to give any scoreboard pressure) before going to Ashes.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just who are you arguing against? No one denies Hussey's poorer record away compared to home. People were bagging the other dood because he said Huss should've retired back in '09.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice, so I point out Hussey's poor TEST record in Eng (7 tests), SA (8 tests), WI (6 tests), NZ (2 tests) and you compare him RAINA (the slogger) of all people. WoW !!

Only thing Raina has in common with Hussey is he is also a leftie and equally good fielder. Thats all. He might go on to average more than Hussey in ODI WORLD Cups (19 is not that difficult to beat you see) but thats where the story will end.

People defending Hussey's record in Eng/SA/WI because 'poor form/ lack of tests' in these countries - Give me a break. 15 tests combined in Eng+SA are more than enough to judge. I will give NZ because only 2 test series. Wi was hard to understand though. But by similar logic in making excuses, one can then go on to say Hussey averaged 90 in SL in his only test series in 2011 because SL didn't had MURALI and even MENDIS who had just taken a 6fer vs Aus in T20 and got injured before test series (which I DON"T believe)

I still think Huseey was a superb player of spin bowling everywhere including in Asia but he more or less struggled against quality swing bowling in helpful conditions (all top players would struggle there too, Hussey struggled more )

Take a look. He scores @90 vs SL in SL in 2011. Good form? Yes -> Goes to SA straight away and scores nothing in 2 tests (2011, where even Shaun Marsh scored some runs of all people) Bad form ? eh !! Comes back to Aus, struggles vs NZ EVEN AT HOME because ball swung a lot more at Gabba and Hobart (again Bad form?) . Indian bowling in sights, Huseey cashes in!!

IMO his retirement was the best decision for Aus also in long run. Nice time to groom a youngster in India (not a daunting place anymore, no bowlers actually and batsman are sleeping since 2Apr-2011 to give any scoreboard pressure) before going to Ashes.
Murali had nothing against Australia anyway, but I'm happy to downplay subcontinental records if you want to.