Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Hussey was clearly in very poor form for the 2009 Ashes. He'd had a horrific home summer where he couldn't buy a run against South Africa and you could tell with some of the dodgy leaves he played that he clearly wasn't very confident in England. I don't think we should undermine his whole County Record just because he had one bad series in the country. I personally reckon he would have gone OK this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    TBF to Hussey, it should be noted that his record in South Africa was very good after his first series. It only went poor after his second series, which coincided with his form slump. His third series there was all of two tests and though he didn't do well, nor did anyone else other than Clarke.

His record in England had far more to do with a form slump than his actual ability to play in English conditions and I'm not sure it's fair to judge his ability to play in NZ on the basis of two tests.

His golden run of form happened to coincide with a period where Aus didn't really have many overseas tests and those that they did have, Hussey batted very well in. His form slump, which started in Perth 2008, managed to hurt his averages in the WI, NZ and SA. He batted well in India during this period though, so it's possible that the gun WI attack were far too good for him at home (sarcasm).

Really most of the sample sizes for the countries Hussey played in are too small to make any accurate analysis on.
    I love Hussey, but that's the way cricket goes. You are judged on what you did, not what you would have done had you not been out of form at a certain time. He didn't have a long enough career to suggest he was an all-conditions test player. And his record suggests he was NOT an all-conditions test player, unlike some of his peers (Punter, Clarke, and even Haydos (at least better away record, even with England issues) Its unfortunate, but its the reality.

He's still an absolute gun and been a great servant to Australian cricket. But at test level his away record has question marks. Not really a big deal as no one here is calling him an all-time great or even the best of the last few years for Australia (Ponting and then Clarke better for longer periods).
    Last edited by Jono; 06-01-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Banned
    Good bye Mr Cricket.

It was a pleasure to have followed your career

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Another all time great retiring, good luck and good bye Mr Cricket.
    If you nick it walk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I love Hussey, but that's the way cricket goes. You are judged on what you did, not what you would have done had you not been out of form at a certain time. He didn't have a long enough career to suggest he was an all-conditions test player. And his record suggests he was NOT an all-conditions test player, unlike some of his peers (Punter, Clarke, and even Haydos (at least better away record, even with England issues) Its unfortunate, but its the reality.

He's still an absolute gun and been a great servant to Australian cricket. But at test level his away record has question marks. Not really a big deal as no one here is calling him an all-time great or even the best of the last few years for Australia (Ponting and then Clarke better for longer periods).
    All true but it's also absolute rubbish to bash his away record because his career is too short for a meaningful sample size.

Yes, you can only judge a player on what he's actually done; but at the same time I don't think you can definitely say Hussey can't play in English conditions on the basis of one series when he was out of form. Particularly when you look at Hussey's record in County cricket.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I don't completely disagree with bambino, if Huss wasn't as nice a bloke as he is, it would be pretty much a massive **** you Australia for leaving us in the lurch at an important time with big Test series coming up.

I don't really get why he couldn't just retire from the short formats of the game. The time needed away from home just for the Test matches isn't THAT long.

Life does go on..
    Assuming a minimum of 3 days between Tests, and running all the Tests back to back, the series in India would take a month and an Ashes series would take 5 and a half weeks, taking over 2 months out of his life.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Good that Huss gave the team song to Lyon, thereby confirming what most thinking judges already knew - Warner is something of a cockhead.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Good that Huss gave the team song to Lyon, thereby confirming what most thinking judges already knew - Warner is something of a cockhead.
    Warner is captain in waiting and captains dont do the team song.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    God help us if that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Warner is captain in waiting and captains dont do the team song.
    ricky ponting did the team song before becoming skipper

lyon is the most selfless, team man, and that's why he got it
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Assuming a minimum of 3 days between Tests, and running all the Tests back to back, the series in India would take a month and an Ashes series would take 5 and a half weeks, taking over 2 months out of his life.
    Exactly, a very small time frame. I'll say even 3 months, a quarter of a year to help out a quarter of 100 million supporters.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Exactly, a very small time frame. I'll say even 3 months, a quarter of a year to help out a quarter of 100 million supporters.
    I don't think that those 'quarter of 100 million supporters' suddenly vanished from Hussey's consciousness.

Rather, Hussey must have reached a turning point in his life and found the thought of touring way too complicated to handle mentally.

After all, you can't do what you can't do.
    Last edited by watson; 06-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

Possibly. I'll ask again though is he nominating for the IPL again this year?

Cricketers can retire whenever they want but us fans can be annoyed at their decisions, which I am as it leaves a massive hole and no time to prepare for some big series coming up.

Good move by the selectors for not naming him in the first two ODIs of the summer. I have a feeling though that he'll get a game at the WACA to finish his career..

who knows nuphan, but reckon he will

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Surprised it didn't go to P Siddy tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information