• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Exactly, a very small time frame. I'll say even 3 months, a quarter of a year to help out a quarter of 100 million supporters.
That's a huge amount of time for someone who doesn't have the heart to do it anymore.

Australia play almost non stop cricket for the next year. The next opportunity Hussey will have to spend a bit of time at home with the family IIRC if he didn't retire now would be February 2014.

L Trumper

State Regular
How close are Hussey's and Neil Harvey's Test records

Harvey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 10 no, 6149 runs @ 48.41, 21 centuries, 24 fifties
Hussey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 16 no, 6235 runs @ 51.52, 19 centuries, 29 fifties
I think both had remarkable peaks and troughs in their form too.

the big bambino

International Captain
Logic: Hussey's ton at the Gabba led to the bowlers conceding 1/517.
Solid stuff.

And clearly, runs scored after you've been dropped don't help the team at all. Because, y'know, that would just be inconvenient. And Galle was a road too.
Not that anyone said that. Apart from you. Come to think of it no one said the 3rd sentence either. Apart from you.

Galle was a road though. You got that right. Go and tell mum what a clever boy you are.

the big bambino

International Captain
For the record, feel free to check, but I was in the crowd saying Hussey should be dropped in '09, possibly before the Oval Test. That said, what became apparent fairly quickly was that there was noone to replace him because there was no-one putting serious pressure on his spot. The young blokes in line for his spot didn't look like Test players and the guys who were scoring in Shield cricket were 30+, hardly the foundations of a youthful rebuild of the team. Hussey dropping back to 6 meant he could at least play a role no-one else was up to and that he did. It's not his fault that 3 years on there are still blokes who don't look up to it and, even with the dearth of decent bats in the country, there should be some sense that a bloke has earnt his spot in the Test side.

You can't just pick young blokes under the pretense of 'investing' in them unless they have performances behind them or obviously have the game to survive playing Tests. Tests are a harsh place to develop your game.
Hussey's form up to his career saving Oval effort was poor to dropable. It didn't get much better until he saved his own life again with an fc ton before the 1st test in 2010/11. You are right that we didn't have many replacements but people were dropped during the time of Hussey's run drought. He managed to dodge the bullets though and defined himself as a man who could score runs for the benefit of his average. He could have been dropped and yet still treated better than Hughes or Katich or even Usman. A man of his ambition may then have fought his way back into the side and still have enough of it to play Eng now. If not we still would have been a few more years into rebuilding than we are now. Shouldve been gone by 09.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not that anyone said that. Apart from you. Come to think of it no one said the 3rd sentence either. Apart from you.

Galle was a road though. You got that right. Go and tell mum what a clever boy you are.
So basically you've decided to complete change the argument after bringing up competely rubbish pieces of evidence - you were given clear examples of where Hussey's runs had helped the team and you dismissed them. Your argument that Hussey did not score useful runs for the team is complete nonsense and only holds up if you completely discard huge amounts of cricket this team played.

And on that, you didn't watch Galle, did you? At all.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
So basically you've decided to complete change the argument after bringing up competely rubbish pieces of evidence - you were given clear examples of where Hussey's runs had helped the team and you dismissed them. Your argument that Hussey did not score useful runs for the team is complete nonsense and only holds up if you completely discard huge amounts of cricket this team played.

And on that, you didn't watch Galle, did you? At all.
I just basically told you to stop making stuff up. If you reckon I've said something wrong then address it directly. Don't put words in my mouth and then exclaim A HA! Gotcha!

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not my go to give people the benefit of the doubt when the arguments they make are so obviously illogical.

You claimed Hussey didn't score runs when the team didn't need them.
You dismissed those examples people gave you where he did, using the exact pieces of reasoning I described

So, either you agree with it, or your argument falls apart at the seams. Pick one.

Although I'm not sure why I should take this at all seriously when you describe Galle as a "road".

Howe_zat

Audio File
I also have it on good authority that Spark is indeed a clever boy, and his mum is most likely already aware of it.

None of Bambino's suggestions hold up to scrutiny.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I also have it on good authority that Spark is indeed a clever boy, and his mum is most likely already aware of it.

None of Bambino's suggestions hold up to scrutiny.
Don't worry, he'll be gone in a week.

Ruckus

International Captain
If you reckon I've said something wrong then address it directly.
Okie dokie.

Save the 116 at Perth in 2010 Hussey hasn't played a meaningful innings stretching back to his el nino like drought of runs up to the Oval in 09.
Open to interpretation, but it's probably fairly likely you mean an innings which contributes strongly to a team's chance of winning/saving a match, yes?

In that Gabba innings Aus were about 100/3 when Hussey came in, about 150/5 when he was in the 30's, and about 450/6 when he was dismissed. At that stage Aus had a lead over England of about 190 with ample time left to win the match. So surely you agree then that it was a meaningful knock in the context of the match, taking in mind how Australia bowled and England batted after Hussey's innings can take nothing away from it? I.e. at the time it put Australia from a relatively poor position into one of great strength.

wagstaff

Cricket Spectator
It's amazing to think that if Langer had come back fit for the 2nd Windies Test in 2005/06, Hussey's Test career may have ended at just one match (or at least severely reduced).

By pure chance Hussey's first few years were almost entirely played at home - only 5 of his first 22 Tests were played away. In contrast Katich seemed to play a clear majority of his Tests overseas. Hard to fully reconcile that he was HTB considering his incredible series in Sri Lanka in 2011

Looking at the top 5 Cricinfo innings for Hussey, very surprised they didn't include his batting v England at Perth in 2010/11 - in a match where virtually all the other batsmen were exposed by the pace and bounce of the pitch he displayed a masterclass in how to bat on it, especially of how to leave the ball and make the bowlers bowl to you. Also surprised none of his efforts in Sri Lanka 11 weren't mentioned.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
(accidentally did previous post under my old unused 'wagstaff' account)

One other point I'd make about Hussey is that despite the excellent stats he had this summer, I think this season hasn't really helped his reputation; indeed if anything it may have done the opposite.

This is because he batted at 6 and it meant he cashed in when others had done the hard work (as occurred in Sydney v India last summer) or the innings was largely set. I guess that's going to happen when following such a dominant batsman in Clarke but him batting so low with such a fragile and inexperienced top 3/4 never seemed quite right to me.

Still, a fantastic career overall.

the big bambino

International Captain
It's not my go to give people the benefit of the doubt when the arguments they make are so obviously illogical.

You claimed Hussey didn't score runs when the team didn't need them.
You dismissed those examples people gave you where he did, using the exact pieces of reasoning I described

So, either you agree with it, or your argument falls apart at the seams. Pick one.

Although I'm not sure why I should take this at all seriously when you describe Galle as a "road".
Its not my go to be swept into the ever decreasing circle of another's pettiness. I am generous in allowing people at least a gram of smarts. However you have me reviewing my policy on charity.

I did not say as you claim. However it should be easy for you to prove. You said I made comment about it being Hussey's fault that Eng scored 1/517. Or that runs scored after being dropped are useless... I presume you can use the quote function? Then find where I said it then quote it.

Or shush up.

The examples of Hussey scoring runs when the team needed it are miniscule when spread over the almost 5 yrs he was carried by the team. Even if you accept a ton against the suss match throwers of Pakistan. Or an ultimately useless hundred against Eng when the side should have been rebuilding since 2009 and Hussey one of the 1st to go. Like I said. It served him more then the team. Hussey's runs at Galle were scored in the 1st innings against SL btw. When conditions were easiest. I think you are referring to Jaya's as being exceptional aren't you?

the big bambino

International Captain
Okie dokie.

Open to interpretation, but it's probably fairly likely you mean an innings which contributes strongly to a team's chance of winning/saving a match, yes?

In that Gabba innings Aus were about 100/3 when Hussey came in, about 150/5 when he was in the 30's, and about 450/6 when he was dismissed. At that stage Aus had a lead over England of about 190 with ample time left to win the match. So surely you agree then that it was a meaningful knock in the context of the match, taking in mind how Australia bowled and England batted after Hussey's innings can take nothing away from it? I.e. at the time it put Australia from a relatively poor position into one of great strength.
Our team should have been rebuilding since 09. Possibly even before that with Hussey one of the 1st dropped. He got the benefit of being selected when out of form many times. It was inexplicable that he kept getting selected and other's dropped.

So what I'm saying is that he should not have even been there at the Gabba. It probably meant we would have lost. But given we were thumped in the series anyway who cares?

The important thing is that we would have been on the road to rebuilding earlier. Hussey's selection (partly) delayed that. So yes wonderful for him to score those runs. Pity it was at the expense of the larger picture... and ultimately useless in securing victory. Was the occasional meaningful Hussey innings spread over 5 basically unproductive years really worth the delaying in finding a replacement for him?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Our team should have been rebuilding since 09. Possibly even before that with Hussey one of the 1st dropped. He got the benefit of being selected when out of form many times. It was inexplicable that he kept getting selected and other's dropped.

So what I'm saying is that he should not have even been there at the Gabba. It probably meant we would have lost. But given we were thumped in the series anyway who cares?

The important thing is that we would have been on the road to rebuilding earlier. Hussey's selection (partly) delayed that. So yes wonderful for him to score those runs. Pity it was at the expense of the larger picture... and ultimately useless in securing victory. Was the occasional meaningful Hussey innings spread over 5 basically unproductive years really worth the delaying in finding a replacement for him?
I'll ask you again since you ignored my question the first time - who would you have had batting for Australia instead of Michael Hussey?