Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yep because the Ashes are clearly the only Test matches that matter.

Le sigh.
    I did say since 2009; which kinda intimates tests other than the ashes. I thought that would have been le obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    If there were guys batting well enough to displace Hussey, he'd have been dropped ages ago. Fact.
    Given their age and long absences of form since Hussey and Ponting shouldve been dropped not long after 2009 rather then waiting for them to retire now. Aus got nothing from them though Hussey did manage to produce some career saving and statistical boosting innings eventually. Precious little for the team though. Fact is both got in the way of rebuilding and now both hogged the best part of the summer so we are no nearer settling their replacements for the ashes (which I acknowledge aren't the only tests but pretty important all the same)

Do I really have to start adding these tedious riders for the benefit of the pedants here?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    This should be good.

Who exactly should have been playing for Australia for the last 3 years instead of Hussey?
    ​63*

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Given their age and long absences of form since Hussey and Ponting shouldve been dropped not long after 2009 rather then waiting for them to retire now. Aus got nothing from them though Hussey did manage to produce some career saving and statistical boosting innings eventually. Precious little for the team though. Fact is both got in the way of rebuilding and now both hogged the best part of the summer so we are no nearer settling their replacements for the ashes (which I acknowledge aren't the only tests but pretty important all the same)

Do I really have to start adding these tedious riders for the benefit of the pedants here?
    I remember calling for Hussey's head numerous times throughout 2009 but I'm more than willing to acknowledge that he has more than earned his spot for the past few years and to suggest otherwise is frankly ludicrous.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    I remember calling for Hussey's head numerous times throughout 2009 but I'm more than willing to acknowledge that he has more than earned his spot for the past few years and to suggest otherwise is frankly ludicrous.
    Hussey's form was atrocious leading up to the 2009 ashes. Like a rat he saved his spot while his team sunk around him at the Oval. At stage he was 34 and had enough chances. Thats when he should have been dropped which makes the highlighted qualification irrelevant.

Even Hussey's runs since then have done wonders for his ave but little for the team which is the true measure of their worth. Save the 116 at Perth in 2010 Hussey hasn't played a meaningful innings stretching back to his el nino like drought of runs up to the Oval in 09.

What was clear is that we had lost the ashes in 2009. That was the benchmark. Why would anyone expect that much the same team would have done any better in 2010/11? Especially as England had sought to improve their winning team. What excuse did Australia have to persist with the same ageing has beens? If younger players like Hughes and Usman or even older ones like Katich didn't get the same licence the why should have Hussey or Ponting? So there were alternatives. Its just that they came in for the wrong people.

Hussey's form was atrocious leading up to the 2009 ashes. Like a rat he saved his spot while his team sunk around him at the Oval. At stage he was 34 and had enough chances. Thats when he should have been dropped which makes the highlighted qualification irrelevant.

Even Hussey's runs since then have done wonders for his ave but little for the team which is the true measure of their worth. Save the 116 at Perth in 2010 Hussey hasn't played a meaningful innings stretching back to his el nino like drought of runs up to the Oval in 09.

What was clear is that we had lost the ashes in 2009. That was the benchmark. Why would anyone expect that much the same team would have done any better in 2010/11? Especially as England had sought to improve their winning team. What excuse did Australia have to persist with the same ageing has beens? If younger players like Hughes and Usman or even older ones like Katich didn't get the same licence the why should have Hussey or Ponting? So there were alternatives. Its just that they came in for the wrong people.
    I completely disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I completely disagree with you.
    Haha indeed.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

SCG against Pakistan? Gabba in the Ashes? Whole of the Sri Lanka tour?
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

I don't completely disagree with bambino, if Huss wasn't as nice a bloke as he is, it would be pretty much a massive **** you Australia for leaving us in the lurch at an important time with big Test series coming up.

I don't really get why he couldn't just retire from the short formats of the game. The time needed away from home just for the Test matches isn't THAT long.

Life does go on..

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I don't completely disagree with bambino, if Huss wasn't as nice a bloke as he is, it would be pretty much a massive **** you Australia for leaving us in the lurch at an important time with big Test series coming up.

I don't really get why he couldn't just retire from the short formats of the game. The time needed away from home just for the Test matches isn't THAT long.

Life does go on..
    I thought that Warne's retirement was worse.

He knew that Langer and McGrath were retiring. He was only 35 and he was in the selectors minds for at least the next 2-4 years. Realistically Hussey was going to be given the tap after the Ashes anyway and if he's not as hungry for runs as he could be then it's probably a good thing that he's retired.

Warne had done enough in his career to retire on his own terms and retired at pretty much the ultimate time, a 5-0 drubbing against the old enemy, it can't be sweeter than that. Is Huss, a lover of cricket going to sit back when he's older and going to regret that he finished off against SL instead of testing himself again against India and England, yes IMO.

Warne's retirement was fine IMO. Australia still won every test they played in the first year after he retired, so him staying around for another couple wouldn't have been that needed.

I am surprised Hussey didn't go for one more year though, and I too think he may end up regretting it. All it takes is a few months away from the game, something he hasn't had for years, and the hunger may return. Especially for a bloke I always imagined would have to be taken out of the Aussie side kicking and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    SCG against Pakistan? Gabba in the Ashes? Whole of the Sri Lanka tour?
    Yes. Thank God for Akmal and Pakistan's unusual ability to lose games against the odds...

And that innings at the gabba was crucial. Otherwise we'd have lost4-1

Which leaves the Lanka smiting.

Great return for 5 years of investment; which has just been thrown back in the selector's faces.

Slightly exaggeration on the Gabba ton, its not like he could predict the future. Marco..

Yes but that was the effect wasn't it?

Btw Warney's retirement was fine.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information