• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hussey was clearly in very poor form for the 2009 Ashes. He'd had a horrific home summer where he couldn't buy a run against South Africa and you could tell with some of the dodgy leaves he played that he clearly wasn't very confident in England. I don't think we should undermine his whole County Record just because he had one bad series in the country. I personally reckon he would have gone OK this time around.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TBF to Hussey, it should be noted that his record in South Africa was very good after his first series. It only went poor after his second series, which coincided with his form slump. His third series there was all of two tests and though he didn't do well, nor did anyone else other than Clarke.

His record in England had far more to do with a form slump than his actual ability to play in English conditions and I'm not sure it's fair to judge his ability to play in NZ on the basis of two tests.

His golden run of form happened to coincide with a period where Aus didn't really have many overseas tests and those that they did have, Hussey batted very well in. His form slump, which started in Perth 2008, managed to hurt his averages in the WI, NZ and SA. He batted well in India during this period though, so it's possible that the gun WI attack were far too good for him at home (sarcasm).

Really most of the sample sizes for the countries Hussey played in are too small to make any accurate analysis on.
I love Hussey, but that's the way cricket goes. You are judged on what you did, not what you would have done had you not been out of form at a certain time. He didn't have a long enough career to suggest he was an all-conditions test player. And his record suggests he was NOT an all-conditions test player, unlike some of his peers (Punter, Clarke, and even Haydos (at least better away record, even with England issues) Its unfortunate, but its the reality.

He's still an absolute gun and been a great servant to Australian cricket. But at test level his away record has question marks. Not really a big deal as no one here is calling him an all-time great or even the best of the last few years for Australia (Ponting and then Clarke better for longer periods).

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I love Hussey, but that's the way cricket goes. You are judged on what you did, not what you would have done had you not been out of form at a certain time. He didn't have a long enough career to suggest he was an all-conditions test player. And his record suggests he was NOT an all-conditions test player, unlike some of his peers (Punter, Clarke, and even Haydos (at least better away record, even with England issues) Its unfortunate, but its the reality.

He's still an absolute gun and been a great servant to Australian cricket. But at test level his away record has question marks. Not really a big deal as no one here is calling him an all-time great or even the best of the last few years for Australia (Ponting and then Clarke better for longer periods).
All true but it's also absolute rubbish to bash his away record because his career is too short for a meaningful sample size.

Yes, you can only judge a player on what he's actually done; but at the same time I don't think you can definitely say Hussey can't play in English conditions on the basis of one series when he was out of form. Particularly when you look at Hussey's record in County cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't completely disagree with bambino, if Huss wasn't as nice a bloke as he is, it would be pretty much a massive **** you Australia for leaving us in the lurch at an important time with big Test series coming up.

I don't really get why he couldn't just retire from the short formats of the game. The time needed away from home just for the Test matches isn't THAT long.

Life does go on..
Assuming a minimum of 3 days between Tests, and running all the Tests back to back, the series in India would take a month and an Ashes series would take 5 and a half weeks, taking over 2 months out of his life.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good that Huss gave the team song to Lyon, thereby confirming what most thinking judges already knew - Warner is something of a ****head.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Assuming a minimum of 3 days between Tests, and running all the Tests back to back, the series in India would take a month and an Ashes series would take 5 and a half weeks, taking over 2 months out of his life.
Exactly, a very small time frame. I'll say even 3 months, a quarter of a year to help out a quarter of 100 million supporters.

watson

Banned
Exactly, a very small time frame. I'll say even 3 months, a quarter of a year to help out a quarter of 100 million supporters.
I don't think that those 'quarter of 100 million supporters' suddenly vanished from Hussey's consciousness.

Rather, Hussey must have reached a turning point in his life and found the thought of touring way too complicated to handle mentally.

After all, you can't do what you can't do.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Possibly. I'll ask again though is he nominating for the IPL again this year?

Cricketers can retire whenever they want but us fans can be annoyed at their decisions, which I am as it leaves a massive hole and no time to prepare for some big series coming up.

Good move by the selectors for not naming him in the first two ODIs of the summer. I have a feeling though that he'll get a game at the WACA to finish his career..

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, read he's playing IPL. But people are forgetting the training etc that he'd still have to be doing as a part of the Test and ODI sides. It's not just matches.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Training is done in Australia, he is happy to travel around Australia, just not going overseas for extended periods.

The length of time he'll spend at the IPL will be as long as the time spent with the Test squad in India.

aussie tragic

International Captain
How close are Hussey's and Neil Harvey's Test records

Harvey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 10 no, 6149 runs @ 48.41, 21 centuries, 24 fifties
Hussey: 79 Tests, 137 Inn, 16 no, 6235 runs @ 51.52, 19 centuries, 29 fifties

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Warne had done enough in his career to retire on his own terms and retired at pretty much the ultimate time, a 5-0 drubbing against the old enemy, it can't be sweeter than that. Is Huss, a lover of cricket going to sit back when he's older and going to regret that he finished off against SL instead of testing himself again against India and England, yes IMO.
Yeah I reckon he will for sure. Was probably stressed from six months of fairly continuous cricket (i think?) and putting his feet up for a bit before India would have been enough