• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig RIP

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine if the test was still going today? There'd be no way the commentary team could keep it together.

BeeGee

International Captain
Shocking news. :(

I was never a fan of his commentary, but his impact on the game was enormous.

ajdude

International Coach
Imagine if the test was still going today? There'd be no way the commentary team could keep it together.
it wouldn't have given them a chance to absorb it either; it's not like it happened in the early hours of the morning before play, they quite literally would've been on air when it happened, jesus

Spikey

I didn't realise in the match he took 8/86 (13 for the match) he basically did it in one spell

Oddly, it was a position from which England began to prosper. In the space of twenty balls Greig took the wickets of Lloyd, Sobers, Kanhai and Murray for six runs so that instead of being in a commanding position when they took the lead, the West Indies had only four wickets left.

The chances of that being converted into a healthy credit balance disappeared when Rowe, who had withheld his strokes to bat with the same sort of caution as Boycott, was ninth out, caught off a full toss for 123. He batted over seven hours, the West Indies totalled 305 and Greig, in a spell of bowling that will rank among the best in Test history, took in the day eight for 33 in 19.1 overs.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am shocked beyond words. Difficult to imagine that someone so full of life is no more.

He was a much better all rounder than he is given credit for inspire of stats to support his claims. A fighting batsman and a very clever bowler who surprised the best with wicket taking deliveries when they least expected it. He was very versatile as a bowler, very energetic and innovative as a batsman and a brilliant all round fielder.

He was the first English captain Indian fans fell in love with and I do not know any visiting captain since then who they have taken to as enthusiastically.

The MCC punished him particularly severely for joining the Packer series since this was blasphemy coming from an English captain and also because he was seen as the one who was literally Packer's man who infilterated the traditionalist ranks and 'bribed' cricketers away with 'obscene' amounts of money. Even though all was forgiven and forgotten for all the other cricketers who joined what was so condescendingly called the Packer "circus" Tony Greig was forever treated by the English establishment as "pariah"

I don't know whether this has something to do with the underplaying of the sheer cricketing merits of this genuinely world class all rounder and a very fine captain.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was a breath of fresh air back in the 70s, and the more he pissed off the establishment the more my generation liked him

Helped of course that he was a very very good cricketer - the WI quicks and Lillee and Thommo made him look a prat sometimes, but he always stood up to them and when he smashed the ball back past them it was compulsive viewing

RIP

Burgey

Special on Nine at 630 with Richie, Chappelli et al. Hoping Heals and Nicholas don't stuff it up.