• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Embarrassing ****-ups in autobiographies

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Javed Miandad on Dennis Lillee

By the time we got to Perth, Dennis and I had already been going at each other for a while. In one of the side matches, a four day game against Queensland at Brisbane, I had scored a hundred and Dennis had been frustrated at not being able to get me out
You might wonder what DKL was doing turning out for Queensland, well I certainly did - turns out he wasn't, but one Dennis Lillie, a journeyman leg spinner did - mind you he didn't get Javed out, so he was right about that

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, lol.

Kinda eff up that makes one wonder exactly how much Miandad actually contributed to his (alleged, etc) autobiography.

Smacks of a lazy ghost and a lazier fact checker.

fredfertang

Ha, lol.

Kinda eff up that makes one wonder exactly how much Miandad actually contributed to his (alleged, etc) autobiography.

As you may have guessed by starting this thread I'm touting myself around with a view to a career change :)

stumpski

International Captain
Fewer.

And yes, you'd think Miandad might have wondered why Dennis was bowling leg-spin. I expect he was similarly perplexed when he came up against Geoff Thompson. :dry:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You want to be careful - "Diaries of a Pyromaniac", the unofficial biography of your good self that benchy and I are currently working on, is becoming less accurate by the minute
As long as you include the bit about my choice of hats and that subpoena I once received, we're good to go.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I haven't read it for a while so hopefully my memory's accurate on this, but in Nasser Hussain's autobiography there's a photo of him and S. Waugh at the toss in Brisbane 02/03 (where Nasser did his ill-fated decision to bowl)... except it's a picture of Adelaide.

Still a good read overall.

fredfertang

In 1991 Viv Richards second autobiography, Hitting Across the Line, appeared.

Understandably he talks about his first ever Test series in India in 1974/75 when he screwed up twice in the first Test, but then went on to get a matchwinning 192* in the second. He explains how watching Clive Lloyd deal with Chandra while they put on over 100 together helped him come to terms with batting against spin

Trouble is Chandra was left out of that match in favour of Venkat - whoops!

Still its not really his ghost's fault - he was probably reading a 1984 book of Sunny Gavaskar's that made the same mistake

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, lol.

Not much beyond two words I guess Javed and Miandad.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Ponting's captain's diaries got worse every year. One could conclude that he had more of a hand in each successive one... :ph34r:

BeeGee

International Captain
Javed Miandad on Dennis Lillee

You might wonder what DKL was doing turning out for Queensland, well I certainly did - turns out he wasn't, but one Dennis Lillie, a journeyman leg spinner did - mind you he didn't get Javed out, so he was right about that
Must have sucked being a FC cricketer called Dennis Lillie in the same period as DK Lillee was playing. Everyone would be really disapointed when you turned up. "That prick isn't Lillee!"

May have been able to get quite a few speaking engagements, though.

I see he caught him out in one game. Score card read: DK Lillee c sub (DJ Lillie) b GS Chappell 11

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's a fact checking stuff up in Mike Atherton's Opening Up; he refers to Waltzing Mart-ilda McCague as an "Australian-born Englishman" where any fule know he's actually an Australian-raised but Ulster-born Englishman.