• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

flair in batting

ReallyCrazy

Banned
In my opinion, when it comes to batting no team is more stylish than India. Most of the Indian batters have this flair when they bat...whether its Sachin Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman (i think the most stylish batter I have seen), Ganguly or even Sehwag (when he gets going). Batters in other teams lack in this category. The only non indian I can think of whos got this flair is Brian Lara.

krkode

State Captain
If you mean flair as liking it when someone bats, or enjoys watching them bat, I'd say Tendulkar and Hayden have the most "flair."

Tendulkar's better though, for the obvious self-satisfying reason that I like to see him score runs for India more than I like seeing Hayden score runs against India :D

VVS Laxman, Ganguly, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist have all got the flair too ;)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Oh no, here we go again...!!

Anyway, with my own definition of "flair" Id for sure pick Damien Martyn, because I think he has a sh*tload of natural talent.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Marto? I don't think so. Marto's innings, I find, happen while you aren't watching, in that he'll be on fifty before you notice him. This is a personal opinion, I recognise a sound technique and an ability to hit sweet shots, but not much flair.

Punter has more flair than any Australian batsman. Daylight second.

And I agree with ReallyCrazy wholeheartedly. I could watch the Indian batsmen bat all day, and I may do that more than once or twice over the summer. And I could also watch Lara bat all day.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
bennyr said:
Marto? I don't think so. Marto's innings, I find, happen while you aren't watching, in that he'll be on fifty before you notice him.
Why do they happen when you arn't watching? What bad luck, your missing some important runs there mate. Hehe:D

If alot of people dont 'notice' Martyn, it could be because of the huge hitters hes surrounded by, that smack boundries while he elegantly places the ball on the outfeild:) :saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The beautiful and terrible thing about flair is it covers everything we've discussed in recent weeks - style, speed of scoring, boundary ratio, the lot. So you can turn it to whatever your personal values count on.
For me that's style, so the flair players for me are the like of Mark Waugh, Hussain, Kallis, Cullinan, Ponting, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Atapattu, Sangakkara, Gayle, etc. My two favourites of all have both retired now, Aravinda and Saeed.

anzac

International Debutant
yep I'd include all of that, add a touch of class, mixed with a pinch of daring & improvisation, and a hint of arrogance & plenty of time when playing his shots at the crease!

Flair for me currently = Punter, but I also liked M Waugh & M Crowe & K Rutherford (although he frustrated the hell out of me)
Elegance & Gower comes to mind
Hayden & Gilchrist are brutal

:)

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Dravid and Ganguly are flair players? I'll admit that Dravid played with a bit more freedom than usual today ... but he's not a flair player by any stretch of the imagination. Ganguly is plain ugly at the crease IMO.

Laxman, Sehwag and Tendulkar are a different story though.

I'd still rate the Aussie high in th aflair stakes though: Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Gilly ... tough to beat those 4.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
aussie batters and flair...pleaseeeee. They don't go in the same sentence together. Ponting's a big loser. I dont think I have seen any other player whos got more lives than Ponting has. His recent scores do not really potray what kind of player he is. And even his shots, they look ugly and lack elegance. Mark Waugh was probably the only guy who had some style.

People who say Sourav Ganguly doesn't have elegance (and ponting has) should get checked! Have you seen the shots Ganguly plays on the offside.

And hayden batting...what a sore sight :!(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh i agree, i dont like watching the Aussies because Mark Waugh aside, there hasnt been a lot of "style" Just loads and loads of ability and determination...

I like watching the South Africans for style, most of them except smith come straight out of the textbook, and they are great to watch, also the West Indies look great when they are going...