• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World Test XI 2012

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is it? (only pick on performances in 2012)

For mine....

1. Cook
2. Smith
3. Amla
4. Kallis
5. Clarke
6. Chanderpaul
7. Prior
8. Philander
9. Herath
10. Siddle
11. Ajmal

Had a lot of trouble with the bowlers, batting seems fairly simple though.

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Alistair Cook
2. Graeme Smith
3. Hashim Amla
4. Jacques Kallis/Marlon Samuels
5. Michael Clarke
6. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
7. Matt Prior+
8. Vernon Philander
9. Peter Siddle
10. Kemar Roach/Herath
11. Saeed Ajmal

Spark

Global Moderator
With the caveat that we only pick on 2012 performances this is easy.

Cook
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Hussey
Prior
Philander or Herath if it's turning
Steyn
Ajmal
Anderson

I know Herath's taken ****loads of poles at ****-all but Ajmal has been clearly the best spinner this year IMO. Just hasn't played that many Tests. Anderson's actually been a bit below-part for much of the year but saves himself by his work in India which was top class.

And as good as Chanders has been, so has Hussey and he's a much, much better #6 than Chanders or really anyone else you care to name. I'm not picking Chanders at 6, sorry. 5 or above, fine, but those spots are taken and Chanders would be a really, really poor #6 IMO.

uvelocity

International Coach
chanders puffed himself up against bangers

someone needs to call me out over my warner selection, but he's scored only a smidge less runs than smith, played a couple of blinders, and fits in the lineup well too imo. smith would also be a destabilising force in the changeroom, he'd never handle clarkeh's aggressive and innovative captaincy

Spark

Global Moderator
chanders puffed himself up against bangers

someone needs to call me out over my warner selection, but he's scored only a smidge less runs than smith, played a couple of blinders, and fits in the lineup well too imo. smith would also be a destabilising force in the changeroom, he'd never handle clarkeh's aggressive and innovative captaincy
Nah, Smith wouldn't be destabilising at all IMO. Not in his MO. Warner's scored some blinders, but Smith is a tough ****nugget and that's always handy. Perfect 1st/2nd slip too, though Warner is amazing at point.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With the caveat that we only pick on 2012 performances this is easy.

Cook
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Hussey
Prior
Philander or Herath if it's turning
Steyn
Ajmal
Anderson

I know Herath's taken ****loads of poles at ****-all but Ajmal has been clearly the best spinner this year IMO. Just hasn't played that many Tests. Anderson's actually been a bit below-part for much of the year but saves himself by his work in India which was top class.

And as good as Chanders has been, so has Hussey and he's a much, much better #6 than Chanders or really anyone else you care to name. I'm not picking Chanders at 6, sorry. 5 or above, fine, but those spots are taken and Chanders would be a really, really poor #6 IMO.
I think Chanderpaul often loses out in exercises like this because he has the technique of a number 6 but the temperament of a number 3. He bats five for the West Indies as a matter of choice so you'd think he'd make a perfectly good six, but in reality he'd probably get stranded quite a bit.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that's the thing. You wouldn't get anything like the output you'd expect (even if his stats look awesome) because he keeps getting stuck. Don't think he'd work brilliantly with the tail either, as opposed to Muss who'd squeeze every last run out of the lower order.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How did Chanders go against Australia again this year? Can't remember.
Four 50+ scores in 5 innings, including a 103*. Was a low scoring series too so it's fair to say he was awesome while still partially showing what we're saying here anyway.

In a team of the year I'd definitely include him anyway because he was certainly one of the best batsmen this year, but I'm definitely starting to come around to the idea that he'd just miss out on a genuine World XI because of his unsuitability to where he actually bats (strange as that sounds).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cheers, was wondering whether he actually had a better year than Kallis.

Then again Kallis ended Ponting's career so has to make the team. On that ball alone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't really argue with your side much. On those raw stats you could definitely make cases for Samuels or Roach I suppose but they mainly did their damages against Bangladesh's bowlers and New Zealand's batsmen respectively which puts it into context a bit.
Nah, no way. Had a huge series against us. Scored at least a 50 in every test.

Would imagine if Bangladesh were removed from his figures he'd have a very similar average. Yes he scored the big double, but he failed twice in the first test too.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting lineup pretty straight forward as you said. Bowling attack probably a bit tougher, but considering Kallis' presence I'd probably pick two spinners.

Siddle
Johnson
Herath
Kumble