• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Solving the Watson conundrum

Ruckus

International Captain
Surely he is the most regularly injured cricketer in history?

FFS, what's wrong with these ****s? I've NEVER (read it again, NEVER) had a soft tissue injury, and I usually bowl 20 overs a day.

Harden up you weak pricks.
Watson is just too top heavy. Fast bowlers aren't meant to be built like powerlifters.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Least favourite player to watch in the current Aus set up. His batting feels rigid and one dimensional, and his bowling always carries a forced, constipated, stiff-limbed vibe about it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
FWIW i'm a similar build to Watto. Look the same with my shirt off....

:unsure:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Least favourite player to watch in the current Aus set up. His batting feels rigid and one dimensional, and his bowling always carries a forced, constipated, stiff-limbed vibe about it.
I actually love watching him bowl. Really enjoy it. He's a clever bowler. But his batting is ordinary to watch.

In limited over cricket he's great to watch, needs to smack it round.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I actually love watching him bowl. Really enjoy it. He's a clever bowler. But his batting is ordinary to watch.

In limited over cricket he's great to watch, needs to smack it round.
He looks like he's just got out of a heavy squat session while bowling. Though I do remember him having a more fluent run up and action when he first started. Injuries obviously.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Johnson or Cutting in at number 4 and be done with it.

Alternatively - move Wade up to 4 and Johnson or Cutting in at 7.

Spark

Global Moderator
His batting is more entertaining in a sheer lolz sort of way when on song (ie. this) than any aesthetic value of itself.

E: Just watched this again. **** it was funny.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If you really want him to play as an all rounder. You have got to accept he will be injured at least 1 out 3 tests.

So you need a plan B, when he gets injured. If you want to play him as top order batsmen, then you need to have shadow top order batsmen i.e. Khawaja. If you want a him a 5th bowler that bats in the top 6, then you need to shadow him with a bowling all rounder i.e. Mitch Marsh, Moz or Maxwell.

If they are serious about the squad rotation, then you need a Plan B with Watson gets injured. Like they do for the front line quicks.

Ruckus

International Captain
With Ruckus here, really enjoy watching his batting when he's on song.
Problem is his test career so far has been riddled with injuries/concentration issues etc., we've yet to really see a truly fluent Watson. His 80-odd the other day was a pretty good example of that. That wasn't his natural style at all, and against that attack on that pitch if he was in form he should have hit a run-a-ball hundred. Some of his 50's he has made have been pretty flawless, but with a score that low you really still don't see a batsman truly open up. He needs to break that mental barrier badly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why the **** hasn't Top Cat posted a picture of the "Test Match" board game batsman yet?

Unacceptable.

BeeGee

International Captain
Stop moving him around and bat him at four. Tell him "You're our long term number four" and let him settle into that position and role. Only bowl him if absolutely necessary (and even then only sparingly).

If he injures himself don't shuffle the order around, just have a backup no.4 waiting in the wings.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
some good points, but let's put some context into it: He's basically wrote it because some people have suggested replacing his beloved Cowan with Watson