Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The value of Anil Kumble was underestimated

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    someone up-thread was going on about macgill being better than kumble - thats absolute bollocks. macgill leaked pressure like a blown gasket. kumble had the ability to induce false strokes through a combination of imposing, combative attitude and sheer, bloody-minded presence. i watched a lot of him growing up and he was always relentless and never gave up. got a lot of wickets because of that. and he also induced false strokes from batsmen against other bowlers. the fact that the fellas on the other end didnt capitalise is another story.

i very rarely remember kumble getting a proper tonking. whereas thats one of the main things i associate with macgill. and he was able to get away with it, to a large extent, owing to the excellence of the bowlers around him.

kumble is hands down the third best spinner of his generation and a class apart from the likes of saqlain, macgill, paul strang, mushtaq ahmed and daniel vettori.

and prince ews,

if the word better, in this context, isnt linked to actual performance then its kind of meaningless isnt it?
    AWTA. Macgill was no where as good as Kumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    and prince ews,

if the word better, in this context, isnt linked to actual performance then its kind of meaningless isnt it?
    Yeah, it is. Kumble certainly had a better career than MacGill, and history will record him as the superior Test bowler.

My point was - and it's only a hypothetical opinion that can neither be proven nor disproven - I think MacGill would've had the better career if he had the same opportunities. He achieved a higher level of skill with his bowling AFAIC and would've been more effective across a long career than Kumble if he had the chance. I can't really back it up with anything because it's just based upon watching them bowl. I have no qualms with people saying Kumble was better based on him having a better Test career and that's how I like to judge players anyway if we're going for a uniform rule.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, it is. Kumble certainly had a better career than MacGill, and history will record him as the superior Test bowler.

My point was - and it's only a hypothetical opinion that can neither be proven nor disproven - I think MacGill would've had the better career if he had the same opportunities. He achieved a higher level of skill with his bowling AFAIC and would've been more effective across a long career than Kumble if he had the chance. I can't really back it up with anything because it's just based upon watching them bowl. I have no qualms with people saying Kumble was better based on him having a better Test career and that's how I like to judge players anyway if we're going for a uniform rule.
    oki, thats fair enough.

Go **** yourself Benchmark00

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

Go **** yourself Benchmark00
    Potential late runner for your avatar.
    ​63*

I don't know about the comparison with MacGill, but it was really Harbhajan Singh who was the driving force behind the Indian spin-bowling attack.

In other words, Kumble would have been a fraction of the bowler he was, and little more more than a mediocre medium paced leggie without the guile and genius of Harbhajan Singh to carry him along.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yeah it's unfair to compare MacGill to Kumble because Kumble is nowhere near MacGill's class. An honest toiler is what Kumble was.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I don't know about the comparison with MacGill, but it was really Harbhajan Singh who was the driving force behind the Indian spin-bowling attack.

In other words, Kumble would have been a fraction of the bowler he was, and little more more than a mediocre medium paced leggie without the guile and genius of Harbhajan Singh to carry him along.

That opinion is one shared by Benchmark00 I believe.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    To be honest I put MacGill above Kumble in terms of ability too - obviously, didn't have the same career through no fault of his own. MacGill was an incredible wrist-spinner and got more turn than Warne, even. Was very attacking but lacked the consistency of Warne, so his average would have suffered at the expense of his SR.

Reckon if MacGill were Indian they'd have had a better side with him.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Fourth best spinner I've seen (in 30ish years) behind Warne, Murali, MacGill.
    Massive lol. What Macgill needed was few more tests against SL and IND.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

At least he was good against Bangladesh, unlike Warney

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    LOL MacGill. The guy got pwned everytime I saw him.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    LOL MacGill. The guy got pwned everytime I saw him.
    Well I guess we should all just bow to that.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Finally. The proper respect is shown.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information