• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Johnson unfairly maligned ?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson had improved out of sight though so they backed him to take him that improvement across. Do we reckon Johnson has improved his bowling in the last couple of years?
Yeah that's basically why I think it's easy as **** to dump him even for the next test

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson had improved out of sight though so they backed him to take him that improvement across. Do we reckon Johnson has improved his bowling in the last couple of years?
Johnson hasnt improved any aspect of his cricket since his test debut

That being said, I reckon Maxwell's debut is one of the most important in recent memory as if he proves to be a serviceable off spinning all rounder (doubt it btw), then we can carry MJ as a 4th seamer

If that's the case, welll .......

social

HeeHee... I'm enjoying the whole Johnson vs Morkel debate. Like some, I can't believe it's even a contest. Morkel is considerably better than Johnson, imo.

Ask yourself this, if Morkel was an Aussie and available to play in this current Test, would Johnson have been selected ahead of him?
Morkel would have been selected but wouldnt have had anywhere near the impact

Therein lies the conumdrum for Oz selectors

Johnson is just about the most talented cricketer in the world today but only turns up every now and again and is **** in between

I would never have selected him for Oz again and cannot believe that they could take him to England (damaged goods/ bowling style all wrong, etc) but how do you leave him out if he continues to do this?

stephen

Morkel would have been selected but wouldnt have had anywhere near the impact

Therein lies the conumdrum for Oz selectors

Johnson is just about the most talented cricketer in the world today but only turns up every now and again and is **** in between

I would never have selected him for Oz again and cannot believe that they could take him to England (damaged goods/ bowling style all wrong, etc) but how do you leave him out if he continues to do this?
This is exactly the point. Every chance that he has gotten this summer, he's grasped with both hands. Starc must be absolutely fuming right now because it is so very difficult to see the selectors dropping Johnson for Sydney (though Sydney really should suit Starc, particularly with the older ball).

Johnson in his last two tests has taken 12 wickets (really 15 as he ended 3 innings due to injury) and has made an unbeaten 92. You really can't ask any more from any player. It's so frustrating though knowing that if we pick him again as a regular he'll likely take five wickets in the next three tests at an average of 45 and score 20 runs over his next six innings.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't remember who touted it but someone came up with a theory on how Johnson debilitates the other bowlers in the attack by making it impossible to nurture the ball and help it to swing.

Last (Aussie) summer Hilfenhaus stared to get the ball to move a great deal more than in the previous 18 months, especially with the old ball, and it was the first time Johnson had been out of the side in that time.

Burgey

Yes but that wasn't the point made in the post.

I don't know if Johnson has or hasn't improved because most of the improvement needs to be between his ears (that his action isn't very repeatable is a given), but the other blokes everyone are doing loads over have dined out on India and SL at home.

The improvement I'd like to see in Johnson isn't necessarily him bowling at his absolute best more often (when he does that he's a force of nature); it would be to see his "off" days be about 80% of his best, instead of 3% of his best like they've been in the past. It's really impossible to know if he's improved going on a sample of two tests, and lets be honest, do we really want to find out if it means the likes of Patto, Starc et al aren't playing?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I can't remember who touted it but someone came up with a theory on how Johnson debilitates the other bowlers in the attack by making it impossible to nurture the ball and help it to swing.

Last (Aussie) summer Hilfenhaus stared to get the ball to move a great deal more than in the previous 18 months, especially with the old ball, and it was the first time Johnson had been out of the side in that time.
Yeah I remember that too. Bad seam release = landing the ball on the shiny side regularly = no swing for all the other bowlers

social

Reckon that is rubbish myself

Take Hilf as an example

He wasnt being succesful because he was down on pace and bowled the same ball from the same position on the crease every single time

Against the Indians, he was fitter, faster, and had more variation

State of the ball had nothing to do with it

uvelocity

International Coach
reckon your post is rubbish myself

you're unsuccessful because you post pretty bland trolling stuff every single time

thread you're posting in has nothing to do with it

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Johnson, IMO, has improved out of sight. He hasn't been absolutely obliterated apart from South Africa at Perth, and that was along with everyone else against Amla, Smith and AB. Moreover, as soon as Amla was gone he completely dismantled Elgar - not that hard tbf, but the way he did it was electrifying to watch. England has Cook, who won't destroy him so much as wear him down, and Pietersen whom he can be shielded from if need be.

He could play as a bowling allrounder at 7 if Watto is unfit to bowl/outright injured. He's bowling pies? Take him off and use one of four other options. He's on fire? So much the better.

Btw, he needs his own top-line sports psychologist, not the hangers-on drawing mind-maps and parroting 'back yourself' that usually tag along with the squad.

Last edited:

Spikey

Johnson hasn't improved at all. He bowled in the same style in these two tests as he did in 08-09-10. He didn't bowl fuller. He remained on short balls for his impact. He remains incompatible of bowling in the style we've adopted since mid 2011 and I'd be staggered to see the selectors over-look this fact when there's less people out injured

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, what worries me was the lack of blokes getting out caught behind. So many wickets in front of the wicket, or chopped on.