Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Johnson unfairly maligned ?

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    No ones denying that, on the surface, Johnson has quite a good record. However, xub and social aren't taking in how flattering this record really is - it doesn't show the massive negative influence on the bowling attack as a whole when Mitch isn't having his day and sprays it at 6 rpo. Guys like Morkel are still capable of not getting completely blasted when it's not happening for them.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 27-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Have you got scaly mixed up with social or am I blind?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    No ones denying that, on the surface, Johnson has quite a good record. However, xub and scaly aren't taking in how flattering this record really is - it doesn't show the massive negative influence on the bowling attack as a whole when Mitch isn't having his day and sprays it at 6 rpo. Guys like Morkel are still capable of not getting completely blasted when it's not happening for them.
    Quite. And how often do you hear somebody saying "Johnson's figures don't reflect how well he bowled"?

On the few occasions he bowls well he gets some wickets, sometimes he gets some (expensive) wickets bowling rubbish, and most of the time he's just expensive.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Have you got scaly mixed up with social or am I blind?
    forgivable mix-up?

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Stick a fork in me, I'm done
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

How many times has Johnson legitimately cost Australia matches? Yes there are plenty of times where he's been poor, but a lot of the losses in our time has been due to the batting IMO. Even with Lords it was pulled back to a chasable total...
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

With that said, Morkel's definitely the better bowler. I feel like social's being a strawman here.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    How many times has Johnson legitimately cost Australia matches? Yes there are plenty of times where he's been poor, but a lot of the losses in our time has been due to the batting IMO. Even with Lords it was pulled back to a chasable total...
    I would say a damn lot frankly. The amount of games where he bowled dross, especially in the latter stage of his career was damn high. And as has already been said, you can't overestimate the effect it has on the rest of the bowling attack and the team in general. You just can't keep expecting the other bowlers to try and maintain pressure when your alleged 'strike/lead' bowler is spraying it left and right.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Lords 09? You were chasing 500+ IIRC?

Cricket Web Staff Member
    I was listening to both the ABC and Ch 9 commentary yesterday and it was amazing listening to the fawning comments directed towards Mitch. It's like they believe this performance against a lame SL side is proof he's a better player than he was in his 2007/11 incarnation. In fact his record against Asian sides at home has generally been very good; if he'd been available and selected I'm sure he would've done well against India last year.

Most curious of all were the comments of Kerry O'Keefe who said he was baffled how English commentators like Botham didn't rate Mitch, even despite his Man Of the Match performance in Perth 2010/11. Obviously KOK has forgotten how Mitch performed in the other matches in that 10/11 series, or the 2009 series for that matter.

fwiw I was impressed by Mitch's batting yesterday, probably his most mature Test batting performance to date. It's almost as if he's was looking to prove to others he could play as an all-rounder. But playing against a pop-gun SL attack on a flat pitch is hardly the best test of his batting skills.

In anycase, as others have said here, it's his erraticness and his weakness under the glare of the Ashes spotlight that should be strong arguments as to why he shouldn't be a pivotal player on the 2013 Ashes (as KOK was arguing he would be).

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Lords 09? You were chasing 500+ IIRC?
    It was definitely looking chaseable at one point but that was entirely down to Clarke and Haddin. Johnson played a useful knock (last man out) and was certainly blameless but he did it when the game was more or less gone.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    England had a field day against Mitch. I don't see how commentators can suggest he is back until he faces a top line batting attack and can prove he is able to land 5 balls an over where he wants. England were patient, they just picked off a pie an over and made him look amateur.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    When it comes to Johnson it seems many people are like goldfish.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Johnson is so ****ing annoying since his good stuff makes him hard to drop and then he follows it with bloody awful tripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

England fans thanking the Lankans imo.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information