• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ODI batsman of all time

The best ODI batsman ever

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Now that Tendulkar has retired from ODIs is he the greatest ODI batsman ever? Second to Viv or is there some other batsman who trumps these two?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv because he batted in a tougher era for batsmen.

Sachin is second though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan?

EDIT: When I posted this it wasn't to inspire a nationalistic line of posting. Surely Bevan's worthy of being in the discussion.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Viv had a slightly better career in a tougher era. Tendulkar was superb too, and had a really long career with successes everywhere. My vote goes to Viv - but not by much. And I might choose Tendulkar some other day depending on my mood.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Can't split these guys....

- Viv Richards
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Greg Chappell
- Dean Jones
- Javed Miandad
- Michael Bevan (personally I couldn't stand him, but it's hard to argue agin him)
- MS Dhoni

Hashim Amla laying some serious claims to being included among the above.

Satyanash89

Banned
I pick Tendulkar by half a toenail because of his unreal level of consistency... since his first hundred, he averaged 47, the same as Viv... and thats over 385 matches. Absolutely mind blowing

Where Viv was special was his strikerate though... he was miles ahead of peers in that respect

Spark

Global Moderator
I still don't find average a hugely meaningful stat in ODI cricket tbh. Especially comparing across different positions in the order.

smash84

The Tiger King
I wanted to inlcude Bevan here but those who feel Bevan is the greatest ever ODI bat can choose other option.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wanted to inlcude Bevan here but those who feel Bevan is the greatest ever ODI bat can choose other option.
Then you should have, what was stopping you?

For the two in question, I go with Viv. His average and SR for his time (even ours, frankly) is stupidly ridiculous. I agree with Spark in that averages are very different position to position in ODIs. As for finishers, it is Bevan for me.

I pick Tendulkar by half a toenail because of his unreal level of consistency... since his first hundred, he averaged 47, the same as Viv... and thats over 385 matches. Absolutely mind blowing

Where Viv was special was his strikerate though... he was miles ahead of peers in that respect
Well, Viv played ODIs for ~16 years. They just didn't play as many matches back then. Also, even his average is special for his era (actually, again, even ours). Scores were lower back then.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Voted for Viv Richards. But this is really really close, and one could choose either. Tendulkar's has been a hugely successful, extra ordinarily long and consistent ODI career.

PS. As soon as I read the opening post and saw the poll options, I knew this thread will be all about Bevan. :D

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Can't split these guys....

- Viv Richards
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Greg Chappell
- Dean Jones
- Javed Miandad
- Michael Bevan (personally I couldn't stand him, but it's hard to argue agin him)
- MS Dhoni

Hashim Amla laying some serious claims to being included among the above.
Zaheer Abbas and Gordon Greenidge belong there IMO. So does Ponting I guess. Actually we should limit it to top 3 (Viv, Tendulkar, Bevan), and then there are a whole bunch below them.