• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ODI batsman of all time

The best ODI batsman ever

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting really isn't an automatic choice in an ATXI and neither is Gilchrist (ODI AT XI)
FMD if Gilchrist and Ponting aren't automatic choices in an ODI AT XI then the selectors really need to be shot. Both participated in 3 world cup wins. Both were absolute guns and both were big game players.

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
Richards
Bevan

would form the batting backbone of any world AT XI I care to name.

smash84

The Tiger King
FMD if Gilchrist and Ponting aren't automatic choices in an ODI AT XI then the selectors really need to be shot. Both participated in 3 world cup wins. Both were absolute guns and both were big game players.

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
Richards
Bevan

would form the batting backbone of any world AT XI I care to name.
Gilchrist has stiff competition from Dhoni and Ponting has competition from some of the other middle order players (considering that Viv already has the number 3 position in the side and that the lower order will definitely have Bevan). So I am not sure how he is an automatic choice

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist has stiff competition from Dhoni and Ponting has competition from some of the other middle order players (considering that Viv already has the number 3 position in the side and that the lower order will definitely have Bevan). So I am not sure how he is an automatic choice
Dhoni is good, but to put him in the same class as Gilchrist in ODIs? Not a chance.

Not picking Ponting in an AT ODI side would be the same level of stupid as not picking Tendulkar IMO. I think people forget just how good Ponting actually was at ODI level. And not just as a batsman, his fielding alone could change matches.

The #3 and #4 in the AT ODI side *have* to be occupied by Richards and Ponting or it's not an AT ODI side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FMD if Gilchrist and Ponting aren't automatic choices in an ODI AT XI then the selectors really need to be shot.
Gilchrist has no position in an AT XI as he's nowhere near good enough in the opening positioning to justify a spot over others when Dhoni is a fantastic fit in the lower-middle order.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah gilchrist over MS is easy enough, but gilchrist over a stock of other openers v MS over like maybe mike hussey and not much else

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Folks realize that whether someone is an automatic choice in a team or not is not a matter of opinion but a matter of fact? If it is a fact that someone will not be picked by an overwhelming majority than he is not an automatic choice. By that definition neither Dhoni nor Gilchrist are 'automatic' choice'. Same with Ponting. There is nothing to argue there.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Gilchrist's ODI batting is enormously overrated on this forum for some reason. His stats are just marginally better than Sehwag who is pretty average himself.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
yeah gilchrist over MS is easy enough, but gilchrist over a stock of other openers v MS over like maybe mike hussey and not much else
I don't get it...if Gilchrist is 'easy enough' over Dhoni then his position is locked in an all-time XI due to his keeping. And we're talking about an ATXI. You only need 1 guy for each spot.

Who is better than Ponting over that other spot (3-4, depending where you put Viv)? There is no Bradman in ODIs so its all pretty close...but he's basically as good as you can get. His record is only a smidgen behind someone like Tendulkar's; and he is an awesome fielder and 3 times WC winner (2 as captain) to boot.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist's ODI batting is enormously overrated on this forum for some reason. His stats are just marginally better than Sehwag who is pretty average himself.
It's probably more to do with reputation and aesthetics than anything else, and of course he's Aussie lol.

But yeah always found Gilly's stats not much better than the likes of Jayasuria and Sehwag. He's marginally better than those two, but not by much.

Anyways to the actual question for me it's Tendulkar, just ridiculous stats and he's played against some of the best bowlers from different era's out there. Viv Richards would be second followed by Bevan/Dhoni tied ATM for 3rd place, although if Dhoni finishes up with the kind of stats he has now over the next few years then he'll be #3 without a doubt for me.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get it...if Gilchrist is 'easy enough' over Dhoni then his position is locked in an all-time XI due to his keeping. And we're talking about an ATXI. You only need 1 guy for each spot.

Who is better than Ponting over that other spot (3-4, depending where you put Viv)? There is no Bradman in ODIs so its all pretty close...but he's basically as good as you can get. His record is only a smidgen behind someone like Tendulkar's; and he is an awesome fielder and 3 times WC winner (2 as captain) to boot.
awta

Pontings World Cup victories and fielding coupled with his batting should make him an automatic choice with some of the others. Just for a second imagine Ponting and Viv patrolling both sides of the wicket or on the boundary edge, if only Lloyd could also find a place into the batting line up.

Viv for me though, did it in a more difficult era, and was just so much better than his peers and set the standard for how the game should be played.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Stupidly forgot Ponting earlier.

Dean Jones is one guy I rate really highly. I'd probably have him in my all time ODI team...

- Gilchrist
- Tendulkar
- Jones
- Ponting
- Viv
- Miandad

Also, I think the concept of a "finisher" is overrated.

smash84

The Tiger King
Gilchrist has no position in an AT XI as he's nowhere near good enough in the opening positioning to justify a spot over others when Dhoni is a fantastic fit in the lower-middle order.
This

Being an automatic choice would mean that Ponting would be significantly better in the middle order than say Miandad or Dean Jones (or in SC conditions would he be a better pick than an Inzy or a jayawardena?). Would he now? Not so sure about that. Hence for me he is not an automatic pick. Viv and Tendy (and Bevan) I would pick pretty much in all conditions.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The thing that gets forgotten in this conversation (Dhoni & Gilchrist) is that Gilchrist is a significantly better keeper than Dhoni.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Just got to hand this to Tendulkar. Has done it so well for so long through the various changes the game has gone though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Being an automatic choice would mean that Ponting would be significantly better in the middle order than say Miandad or Dean Jones (or in SC conditions would he be a better pick than an Inzy or a jayawardena?). Would he now? Not so sure about that. Hence for me he is not an automatic pick. Viv and Tendy (and Bevan) I would pick pretty much in all conditions.
No, it doesn't - not to me at least. It just means that, overall, he is ahead by enough that he'd make many more teams than he wouldn't.