• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ODI batsman of all time

The best ODI batsman ever

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most ODIs back then were tournaments like the big Tri-Series, mostly in Australia every year and West Indies played in a lot of them. Before my time of course but I believe they played in virtually every second Aus tri-series. They didn't have 5+ game bilateral series back then

Wouldn't surprise me if Viv played half or more his ODI cricket in Australia

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Top 10

Sachin > Viv

AB

Kohli

Dhoni > Lara > Ponting

Bevan > Abbas > Jones

Had Lara played more in top order, he'd been Kohli equivalent.
Abbas is the only batsman capable to challenge Sachin statistically ( Avg , SR and Century ratio ) minus longevity.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Viv Richards is unquestionably the best ODI batsman of all time. Sachin, ABD and Kohli in argument for the second best.

A lesser known fact about Viv - Never scored an ODI hundred at home.
Never realised that before, only 33/187 matches played at home

shortpitched713

International Captain
I still don't find average a hugely meaningful stat in ODI cricket tbh. Especially comparing across different positions in the order.
This x 1,000 .

If we're going by a contextless summary stat for batting surely SR is almost as important as average anyway due to the nature of the game. But the truth is there is context, and it's very hard to break this all down adequately to take that properly into account.