Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fazal Mahmood vs Mohammad Asif

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )

Fazal Mahmood vs Mohammad Asif

It is unfortunate that Asif couldn't help himself at being Asif and now does not deserve to play international cricket at all because of being asif. But watching that guy was always pure joy in test matches. He was amazing artist who with his immaculate length and use of wrist could have been one of the greatest medium pacers to play the game.

Fazal also was one amazing bowler for his times - played on wickets that offered more help to seamers than asif did and most of us (if not all) did not watch Fazal play live.

Fazal: 34 games 139 Wickets 13 5fors 4 10fors @ 24
    Asif: : 23 games 106 Wickets 7 5fors 1 10for @ 24

I would give it to asif even though only half of the 5fors and 10fors but unlike fazal Asif played in 11 which had more than one match winning bowlers and did I mention he was freaking magicians with his wrists. In fact if he was any less of an asif (as a person) than more than likely 20 years of now the term wristy would not only be associated with sub continent batsmen.

What do you guys say?
    Last edited by Bouncer; 23-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Banned
    Asif was a genius with the ball (and money ) but look at Fazal's record. 13 fivers and 4 10fers in just 34 matches. So so good.

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Asif was a genius with the ball (and money ) but look at Fazal's record. 13 fivers and 4 10fers in just 34 matches. So so good.

I agree that his stats are amazing but you have to consider the factors that were in fazal's favor.

- great uncovered bowling wickets.
    - not another potent bowler in the 11.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Fazal was the only match winner Pakistan had until the 1970s - without him they'd have been whipping boys in the same way as Bangladesh and the early Zim and SL sides - as it was they won a Test against India in their first series, are still the only one to draw their first series in England and they won their first Test against Australia, and did ok against West Indies - he should be revered more than he is, and certainly much more than Asif

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Fazal was the only match winner Pakistan had until the 1970s - without him they'd have been whipping boys in the same way as Bangladesh and the early Zim and SL sides - as it was they won a Test against India in their first series, are still the only one to draw their first series in England and they won their first Test against Australia, and did ok against West Indies - he should be revered more than he is, and certainly much more than Asif
    I do not mean he was not good with the ball in his hand, what I am saying that his figures look more attractive than asif because of above reason.

It's even tougher without support isn't it?

... and he also used to take his wickets in clutches too - of course some will say he was lucky to play on matting wickets, with some justification, but his performances in England in 1954 were amazing

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    can understand the appeal for Asif but Fazal is a legend.

Fazal's record in sub continent was outstanding, something around an avg of 20 and played and took wickets mostly in sc although many on some difficult wickets for batting. Here's a list of batsmen he dismissed- Hunte (6), Sobers (5), Harvey (5), Kanhai (4), Compton (3) and so on. It can be argued he didn't have the support and carried the team himself. He was a true match winner.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

It's even tougher without support isn't it?

... and he also used to take his wickets in clutches too - of course some will say he was lucky to play on matting wickets, with some justification, but his performances in England in 1954 were amazing
    Agreed

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    What type of a bowler was Fazal?

A great hero for Pakistan. According to my mum he carried me in his lap on a train journey when I was a wee little thing.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    What type of a bowler was Fazal?

A great hero for Pakistan. According to my mum he carried me in his lap on a train journey when I was a wee little thing.
    from Wisden,

Fazal's ability to cut and seam the ball at a fair pace led him to be compared - in style and stamina - to England's Alec Bedser

"varying his swing with a mixture of leg-cutters and breakbacks", according to Wisden

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    So a lot similar to Asif.

Still one of my favorite article to read on CW.

Banned
    awesome read

If Asif wasn't such a dickhead and had a proper career then maybe he'd be better than Fazal. As it is though....
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information