• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the worst team in professional cricket?

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain

Surely it is hard to go past the comedy XI that is the Sydney Thunder. It is difficult to explain all that is wrong with this sporting team due to the epic magnitude of woe that they possess. But alas, I will try to analyze why this team is such a joke.

To give the back story to anybody who isn't familiar, when Australia's T20 Big Bash became the Big Bash League (BBL) Victoria and NSW each got two teams. Sydney Sixers were to represent Sydney, whereas the Thunder to represent the west. The Sixers were quick to sign the bulk of NSW regulars (Haddin, Henriques, Smith, Lee, O'Keefe etc.). Thunder were very quick to sign Gayle. They also picked up Warner and a few other second string NSW players such as Dan Smith and Scott Coyte. Sydney Thunder have won 2 games (their first 2) over the course of 1 and a half BBL seasons. This figure does not look to be rising any time soon. Both these games were won off the back of incredible centuries by Warner (his only game for the Thunder) and Gayle.

Now this is the start of the problem. The Thunder XI marquis players are Chris Gayle, Michael Clarke, and (last year) David Warner. Now this is great and all; Gayle is the best T20 batsman in the world. But common sporting logic suggests that putting a team of n00bs around one fantastic player does not work. Yes, you will win a couple of games off the back of a great performance, but that does not get you through to the champions league. As far as Clarke and Warner go, signing people that can only play 1 game is not beneficial apart from getting a few extra people through the gate for the first game. NB. Clarke didn't play anyway.

As far as the rest of the squad go, you have a mish-mash of whoever else was available and affordable. Nannes is good for sure. But apart from that, the likes of Rogers, Coyte, Cosgrove and Lockyear (lol) all scream 'outcast' and 'inexpensive'. Perhaps kids like Zampa and Tremain will become big stars...but I would have to assume as soon as their worth goes up they will jump ship to somebody else.

The other problem is that I cannot really understand the marketability of the Thunder other than the fact they have Gayle. Perhaps I cannot relate to supporting a Western Sydney team as I do not live there; but if there was Launceston team which contained the Tasmanian regulars and a Hobart Hurricanes team with the same kind of line-up as the Thunder, despite being from Hobart I know who I would support.

I was thinking of posting a rant in the official BBL thread, but I think the fail of the Thunder really transcends the league. I would be very interested to know if there are teams like this in other T20 competitions around the world.

And no offense if you support the Thunder. But lets face it, they aren't great.

Discuss

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
You know the Thunder are in trouble when they have to get a 35 year old from another state who has never captained a first class team regularly in Australia to be their captain.

They have the least appealing line up of any BBL team.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
England in limited overs in the SC is quite possibly the worst cricket you will get out of a team.

With India's test team abroad, over the past 1.5 years, being a distant second.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England in limited overs in the SC is quite possibly the worst cricket you will get out of a team.

With India's test team abroad, over the past 1.5 years, being a distant second.
Good one.

Last ODI series in Asia - Pakistan 0-4 England
Last ODI series in Bangladesh - Bangladesh 0-3 England
Last ODI series in Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka 2-3 England