• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you were Sachin Tendulkar . . .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Sachin to go or stay debate has been raging for years but clearly the context has changed. Those opposing the clamor for Sachin's departure have changed from years of asking "Why" switched the debate to "When" in the last couple of years or so.

This has now clearly changed to "How" and in that lies the dilemma of being Sachin Tendulkar as of now. All but the zealots amongst Sachin"s fans would deny that the master batsman' time has come but those that really love the great man would be truly saddened if he had to go suddenly, like this (with immediate effect that is). Yes it is true that history will forget his annus horribilis still it is not entirely unreasonable to hope, even at this last stage that the little master wil have a departure which, even if not befitting his stature in the game, is at least not such as will rankle with him for long . . . And rankle with him it will for he is that kind of a person. Sachin has a very accute appreciation of his place in history and , unfortunately, throughout his glittering career, he has missed all the occasion to keep a tryst with it on special occasions. A century on debut, a century in a world cup final, the century of century on a special stage (Lord's or down under) etc are all marks he has famously missed. Now, when the time has come for him to leave the stage he would, naturally want to make it a ride into a glorious sun set. That seems a tough one today . . . But no one can begrudge him for thinking about it . . .

Of course, we assume that he has made up his mind to quit the game barring the fairytale farewell. This seems the most likely possibility but who knows what the man is thinking?

That brings me to my question to all of you here. If you were Sachin Tendulkar, what would be going through your mind. What would you be wanting to do today, tomorrow, next month, next year . . . till the day you play your last game for India

Remember the options, at least theoretically are more than just one or two . . .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Since I'm not Tendulkar, it's easy for me to say that I'd retire at this stage. What happens though with Tendulkar is that he can't even imagine life without cricket. Likes of Kumble and Srinath can find a career in cricket administration. Likes of Dravid and Ganguly can take up cricket commentary. Others can become coaches or just join a music band. Tendulkar literally has no life (outside cricket) and can't look forward to anything beyond. That's the reason he doesn't retire.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since I'm not Tendulkar, it's easy for me to say that I'd retire at this stage. What happens though with Tendulkar is that he can't even imagine life without cricket. Likes of Kumble and Srinath can find a career in cricket administration. Likes of Dravid and Ganguly can take up cricket commentary. Others can become coaches or just join a music band. Tendulkar literally has no life (outside cricket) and can't look forward to anything beyond. That's the reason he doesn't retire.
Agreed. But still what would you do? I am intentionally not asking what would you advise him to do for that is easy which is really what you are admitting in that first line. This is why the poor man has heard so much "noise" over the years in the form of advise. It is tougher to put oneself in his shoes and think what to do.

It is a terribly lonely place he finds himself in right now. It has happened to him before which prompted me to start my still incomplete first cricket book "It's lonely on top of the pedestal" but that's what the man faces today. So far in such situations he has kept his counsel and found his own solutions/methods to get himself out of the holes he found himself in - inevitable in such a long career. Now, he finds his capacity to help himself is diminished and all those who have made a living out of singing his praises and basking in the glow of his limelight are not big enough (never have been) to talk to the man and counsel him as someone who needs that counseling. Everyone does, howsoever great yet no one has bothered to do so directly to the man on a one on one basis. Even people like the great Sunny Gavaskar. It is easy for Sunny to spend a good part of two decades to deflect any criticism of SRT by becoming his celebrity fan number ONE.

So much has Sachin been denied the benefit of a suitable mentor that his elder brother is all Sachin has ever had for someone to fall back upon for advise. Howsoever good his elder brother may have been (that he is his greatest well wished is beyond doubt) Sachin surely needed someone closer to his own stature. Even Lara sought out Sir Garfield for advise on technique and batting issues when he ran into a real bad patch. Sir Garfield was ideal for he was a the only batsman, in the history of the game, who could be considered Lara"s superior as a left handed batsman. Even more importantly, Sir Garfield had never gone overboard praising Lara to heavens, even in the latters best years, Sobers was always spotlessly objective in his analysis of the young man's bating as well as his leadership qualities and skills.

This has been lacking for Sachin and that is tragic.

Sachin today relies on his own council and maybe that of his close family but they can advise only so far as their desire to protect him from further hurt from a game which has given him at least as much as he has given to it. I think that is not enough. The need for a mentor whose word he values and who can do a dispassionate analysis of what Sachin the cricketer is capable of doing in the next year or so and thereby suggest the alternative courses available to him has never been greater. But such a mentor is not possible to appear out of the blue when you have never really had one for two and a quarter decades

So he relies basically on himself and hence my suggestion to think you were Sachin . . . What are you thinking about doing ?

smash84

The Tiger King
If I were Sachin I would be thinking of what to do in my retirement years.

See what my other team mates who have left are doing. Go to some of the former stars to see how they have transitioned.

I would know that the time is nearing for my departure. Maybe think about what other avenues I can explore. Can going into politics (although an honorary MP) be an option? Commentary?

Something along these lines I suppose. It is difficult to guess.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd score a 300 in my next match and do a Kohli to all the doubters. Then I'd retire.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know what I would do. I might think i was good enough still and keep making myself available. He may not give a crap about the other stuff - he may just love playing and wants to keep doing it. That's why you have selectors who need to make that decision. I don't blame sachin at all.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd retire while my batting average is still north of 50. He's already dropped below the elite group averaging over 55 having averaged around 57 not so long ago. The last 12 months has tarnished his legacy for mine, regardless of what some people want to say.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd do what makes me happy.

That would be hang out with Virat Kohli ftr, so I'd stay in the team.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What I am going to say I would have done earlier in SRT"s career.

I would take time off from International cricket after talking to the selectors. Go and play in first class cricket in another country. England, Austraia or South Africa will do. He will be taken with open arms by most sides. Their gates will soar. Crowds will fil the grounds to see him He will be relaxed and should play to enjoy himself away from the scrutiny of the Indian media and public. I would ideally play the rest of this winter in Austraia or South Africa and the summer in England. At the end of that period, rejuvenated and, hopefully, with runs, form and confidence come back, choose any one series from the next season, announce it as his last series and play with gay abandon. If he feels unto it, chose two series, one at home and one away but be very clear before joining the team. aAnnounce that this is your swan song.

He will be loved, all that has happened in the last two years will be behind him. He should be clear that he is not going into those series to set the grounds on fire. He is going to them to be in a better frame of mind then today before he starts his announced last season so that he is relaxed and the brickbats are behind him.

If his health permits him another year, I think this is what he should do.

I would.

Zinzan

I'd do what makes me happy.

That would be hang out with Virat Kohli ftr, so I'd stay in the team.
Lol you do realise your Kohli man-crush is beginning to rival the PEWS/Sinclair one right?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I would go get the real world education I never could because I was playing since I was 14! He shouldn't need counsel, he's 40 and there are few precedents in the modern era for people continuing beyond 40 and being any good. Get into philanthropy, do some good...let's not make him out to be some martyr here. The man has amassed millions doing what he loves for over twenty years. He could do a lot of good in the world..God knows his country could do with some.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What I am going to say I would have done earlier in SRT"s career.

I would take time off from International cricket after talking to the selectors. Go and play in first class cricket in another country. England, Austraia or South Africa will do. He will be taken with open arms by most sides. Their gates will soar. Crowds will fil the grounds to see him He will be relaxed and should play to enjoy himself away from the scrutiny of the Indian media and public. I would ideally play the rest of this winter in Austraia or South Africa and the summer in England. At the end of that period, rejuvenated and, hopefully, with runs, form and confidence come back, choose any one series from the next season, announce it as his last series and play with gay abandon. If he feels unto it, chose two series, one at home and one away but be very clear before joining the team. aAnnounce that this is your swan song.

He will be loved, all that has happened in the last two years will be behind him. He should be clear that he is not going into those series to set the grounds on fire. He is going to them to be in a better frame of mind then today before he starts his announced last season so that he is relaxed and the brickbats are behind him.

If his health permits him another year, I think this is what he should do.

I would.
I must add this is only if I felt I was unto it both physically and mentally. Otherwise I would play first class cricket in India over the duration of the next series and the come back for the next as my last.

The option to retire immediately is always there but I would take it only if I felt I was not unto it (which I doubt would happen if I was Tendulkar) or if I was forced to leave - which too is unlikely if I made it clear what my plans were.

bagapath

International Captain
if I were sachin... oh boy, wouldn't that be nice - to be among the very best in what you want to be; it is the equivalent of a mediocre filmmaker like me becoming a scorsese or a spielbeg...

back to the topic...

if i were sachin, i would continue to make myself available for test and ODI selection knowing i am just one good session away from regaining my batting form. i know i have invested all my life into playing cricket for india. and whatever i do post retirement would never ever give me the same satisfaction. so, just like i never allowed all the over-the-top accolades during my peak to go to my head, i would not allow unfair criticism to pull me down too. i would continue to ignore the lesser mortals around me and continue to play to the best of my ability knowing my team will only benefit from my individual success. still, if the selectors find a better replacement for me they can drop me. i didnt beg them to select me as a kid. they needed me. similarly they will select me as long as the team needs me. once i am redundant they can drop me, them i am through. till then, i dont give a damn about others. it is me and my cricket.

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
I'd retire while my batting average is still north of 50. He's already dropped below the elite group averaging over 55 having averaged around 57 not so long ago. The last 12 months has tarnished his legacy for mine, regardless of what some people want to say.
Get some perspective mate. your logic is quite wrong i'm afraid

You are forgetting that "the more tests/the longer you play, the harder it gets to maintain a high average'?

For example, get Ponting to play another 15 or so tests and his average will likely fall so much more that according to your line of thinking he won't even be an ATG. (ending up below 50). Thats just plain wrong.

Lara played 131 tests (14 yrs)
Tendulkar has played 194 tests (23 yrs)

And when you take into account that an average can fall 2-3 points in no time, makes you wonder how he is still averaging more than Lara, despite playing for much much longer and playing about 50% more tests.

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
if I were sachin... oh boy, wouldn't that be nice - to be among the very best in what you want to be; it is the equivalent of a mediocre filmmaker like me becoming a scorsese or a spielbeg...

back to the topic...

if i were sachin, i would continue to make myself available for test and ODI selection knowing i am just one good session away from regaining my batting form. i know i have invested all my life into playing cricket for india. and whatever i do post retirement would never ever give me the same satisfaction. so, just like i never allowed all the over the top accolades on my peak to go to my head, i would not allow unfair criticism to pull me down too. i would continue to ignore the lesser mortals around me and continue to play to the best of my ability knowing my team will only benefit from my individual success. still, if the selectors find a better replacement for me they can drop me. i didnt beg them to select me as a kid. they needed me. similarly they will select me as long as the team needs me. once i am redundant they can drop me, them i am through. till then, i dont give a damn about others. it is me and my cricket.
don't you think he has a moral duty to retire himself instead of forcing the selectors to drop him at the cost of possibly even risking their lives?

Zinzan

Get some perspective mate. your logic is quite wrong i'm afraid

You are forgetting that "the more tests/the longer you play, the harder it gets to maintain a high average'?

/B]. [/U]

Actually my logic is 100% correct and that's exactly why I'd retire if I were him, he's clearly not the player he once was hence why so many (including his ex team-mates) are calling for him to retire.

By your logic, I suppose you would have no problem if he continues playing for the next 2-3 years and averages south of 30, because you'll still have your 'perspective' to fall back on.

BTW, Jacques Kallis has maintained his 55+ average for the best part of 18 years.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Actually my logic is 100% correct and that's exactly why I'd retire if I were him, he's clearly not the player he once was hence why so many (including his ex team-mates) are calling for him to retire.

By your logic, I suppose you would have no problem if he continues playing for the next 2-3 years and averages south of 30, because you'll still have your 'perspective' to fall back on.

BTW, Jacques Kallis has maintained his 55+ average for the best part of 18 years.
Well Sachin was averaging almost 57 at the end of nearly 22 years of international cricket.