Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 73

Thread: If you were Sachin Tendulkar . . .

  1. #31
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Also I think its quite clear that Ponting and Tendulkar did not have a priority to go out on on top of their game. Their priority was doing what they love as long as they can.
    As long as a player contributes he shoud stay!
    Even if a great's avg drops because he's averaging 40, I don't think it tarnishes his legacy because he is still adding value to his team
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

  2. #32
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,810
    I would think there is a difference between "a shame he went past his peak and played when he was clearly not up to it. Was tough viewing" and "he has tainted his legacy". Ah well, not going to change your mind Zinzan and you're entitled to think the way you do, so fair enough.

  3. #33
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    Surely the 22 years of scoring at 57 would give him something over the NZ cricketer. With Sachin you can never say never. People wrote him of in 2006. Yes this patch is worse than his earlier one but it has only been since the NZ series that he has looked gone. He will surely believe that it is a matter of one good knock. He played one first class match before this series and promptly scored a century. This does not tarnish his record. It happened and he is trying to fight against it, good on him. He has no obligation to retire.
    Some of you guys seriously need to face facts. I know he's been an ATG player, but he's not superman. He's 5 months shy of 40 years old. Do you think he might suddenly have another golden run against between the ages of 40 and 41 (or maybe between 41-42)?

    I have to confess I didn't see him in the recent series against England, but I watched every ball in the series against NZ and what stood out to me is his eye had clearly diminished, hence why he was cleaned bowled 4 times. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own view on this one, I for one just think it will be extremely sad if he continues to keep diminishing.

  4. #34
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Since tendulkar hasn't contributed since the nz series and has had 9 innings (6 tests) to see that he is well past it, I believe this is the ideal time to leave.

    if he were to continue like this for another 10 tests for example, then it would no doubt taint his legacy somewhat.


  5. #35
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,081
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    As long as a player contributes he shoud stay!
    Even if a great's avg drops because he's averaging 40, I don't think it tarnishes his legacy because he is still adding value to his team
    Again, let's conveniently ignore the fact that in 10 tests in the last 12 months he's averaged 27. 27 is not 40 and averaging 27 certainly doesn't add value to the team. But once again, that's probably acceptable to you because he used to be great right?

  6. #36
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Some of you guys seriously need to face facts. I know he's been an ATG player, but he's not superman. He's 5 months shy of 40 years old. Do you think he might suddenly have another golden run against between the ages of 40 and 41 (or maybe between 41-42)?

    I have to confess I didn't see him in the recent series against England, but I watched every ball in the series against NZ and what stood out to me is his eye had clearly diminished, hence why he was cleaned bowled 4 times. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own view on this one, I for one just think it will be extremely sad if he continues to keep diminishing.
    yea thats true. 3 innings against NZ & 6 innings against ENG is long enough for a 40 yo.

  7. #37
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Again, let's conveniently ignore the fact that in 10 tests in the last 12 months he's averaged 27. 27 is not 40 and averaging 27 certainly doesn't add value to the team. But once again, that's probably acceptable to you because he used to be great right?
    noooooooooo
    i was using that to defend Ponting

  8. #38
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Some of you guys seriously need to face facts. I know he's been an ATG player, but he's not superman. He's 5 months shy of 40 years old. Do you think he might suddenly have another golden run against between the ages of 40 and 41 (or maybe between 41-42)?

    I have to confess I didn't see him in the recent series against England, but I watched every ball in the series against NZ and what stood out to me is his eye had clearly diminished, hence why he was cleaned bowled 4 times. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own view on this one, I for one just think it will be extremely sad if he continues to keep diminishing.
    Couple of things:

    1. Who here is saying Sachin isn't past it? ZInzan you're arguing against something no one is saying. He's old and past it, everyone agrees. We are saying his last 12 months does not ruin his career at all. You disagree. I think you are wrong, you think you are right. Fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Again, let's conveniently ignore the fact that in 10 tests in the last 12 months he's averaged 27. 27 is not 40 and averaging 27 certainly doesn't add value to the team. But once again, that's probably acceptable to you because he used to be great right?
    2. Here is the main point, you are missing just how quickly Sachin fell away. His 2012 has been awful, but if you asked anyone in the Melbourne and Sydney tests 2011/2012 who the best batsman for India was, they would say Tendulkar hands down.

    Age catches up to people quickly. Sachin went from our best to being past it in the space of 12 months. You are acting like he's hung on for years and years. He would have only realised he's starting to suck balls against NZ and now England. That's a space of only 6 months.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Couple of things:


    Age catches up to people quickly. Sachin went from our best to being past it in the space of 12 months. You are acting like he's hung on for years and years. He would have only realised he's starting to suck balls against NZ and now England. That's a space of only 6 months.
    Yeah exactly, can't stress this enough. He was the world's best batsman in 2010 (1568 runs @ 78 with 7 tons), Indian's best batsman barring Dravid in 2011 despite being merely 'good' (756 runs @ 47.25).

    It's all well and good to sit on that wonderful armchair of hindsight and say he should have to retired sooner but that ignores the actual context of his decline.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  10. #40
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Couple of things:

    1. Who here is saying Sachin isn't past it? ZInzan you're arguing against something no one is saying. He's old and past it, everyone agrees. We are saying his last 12 months does not ruin his career at all. You disagree. I think you are wrong, you think you are right. Fair enough.
    Actually If you looked who I quoted when I typed that, you'll see I was replying to Cruxdude who was actually implying that he may well be back to his best i.e. references about how people wrote him off in 2008.

    Also, in terms of continued failures tarnishing his career, sadly, it doesn't really matter what you or I think, it's the way history will remember him and let's not pretend that averages suddenly don't impact the way a player is judged, because we all know on the face of it it does. Only then can context be provided. I personally find it to be a shame that his average has dropped below 55, if others find that petty, so be it.

  11. #41
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,810
    Considering how Viv is treated by the main cricket public compared to Clyde Walcott, Javed Miandad and some others, I reckon you overstate how people remember averages, as opposed to what they saw.

  12. #42
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,810
    Also you ignored the other point, just how quickly Sachin fell away. No one would have thought he was past it heading into Australia or even the NZ series in India.

    It has been a quick fall.

  13. #43
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    FTR I didn't rate Ponting any lower when he was averaging 58 vs. now. This happens to virtually EVERY batsmen. How many people retire at their absolute peak? Precious few.


    On a second note, I do count their performance when they were **** just as much as I do when they were great. If you put on the cap for your country and go out - you will score runs and take wickets or you won't. Those runs and wickets count - they win or lose you test matches, and as long as they do, they should count in judging you as a player.

    This is why Ian Botham isn't considered the greatest player of all time - because if you're only taking a player at his best - you could make an argument that he'd be #1 player on a team, even above Bradman.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 18-12-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  14. #44
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post



    Age catches up to people quickly. Sachin went from our best to being past it in the space of 12 months. You are acting like he's hung on for years and years. He would have only realised he's starting to suck balls against NZ and now England. That's a space of only 6 months.
    Agree it's predominately been the last 6 months, as he still did relativity well in Aust compared to his team mates. Not sure what gives you the impression I think it';s been years. The reason I sound so strong about it is due to how awful he's 'looked' at the crease against NZ.

  15. #45
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,810
    You keep talking about tarnishing his legacy. You're acting as if Sachin has tarnished his legacy by playing well after his peak despite knowing he was done. Everyone has only just realised he's done, probably himself too. There was no way for him to prevent this really, unless he quit after the NZ series based on 2 poor tests, but he probably believed he could come back to somewhere near his 2010/11 form during the England series.

    Evidently not

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. good article on lara v. tendulkar
    By Bapu Rao Swami in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
  2. Hasim Amla >>>>>> Sachin Tendulkar
    By Zohaib© in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-12-2011, 04:11 AM
  3. sachin vs dravid ? whose better in test
    By dude2 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
  4. Replies: 232
    Last Post: 16-12-2010, 06:09 PM
  5. Chris Martin > Sachin Tendulkar (IMO)
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •