• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you were Sachin Tendulkar . . .

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, Jacques Kallis has maintained his 55+ average for the best part of 18 years.
Not sure what he has to do with this discussion but Kallis properly started playing in 1997.

Anyways, if he were to go through a slump for the next 2 years and average 40, resulting in drop of his average he'll become a worse batsman overall for you ?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Sachin was averaging almost 57 at the end of nearly 22 years of international cricket.
And.... ? Is anybody disputing that?

The reality is in the last 12 months Tendulkar has played 10 Test matches, 6 of them at home and has scored 462 runs @ 27 with no hundreds and 3 fifty. Even a New Zealand batsman (who traditionally average 10-15 runs less than Indian batsmen) would be under pressure with 12 months like that.

Daemon

it's one thing to say he should retire because he's in decline, but to say he should retire because his average will fall below atg levels just sounds a bit ridiculous

Zinzan

Not sure what he has to do with this discussion but Kallis properly started playing in 1997.

Anyways, if he were to go through a slump for the next 2 years and average 40, resulting in drop of his average he'll become a worse batsman overall for you ?
His legacy will be tarnished, yes, which will be a great travesty because he doesn't deserve to be remembered as a great batsman who unfortunately played on well past his best and was made to look ordinary towards the end. For me it's one of the sadder aspects of sport when this does happen and most great sportsmen ideally want to go out on top of their game.

He'll do very well to average 40 the way he's been playing. I mean even in the home series against NZ he was cleaned bowled 4 times out of 4 and looked utterly clueless. Almost like a walking wicket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Zinzan, are you saying your view of Ponting's legacy has changed because since the start of 2008 he only averaged 40.23?

Zinzan

it's one thing to say he should retire because he's in decline, but to say he should retire because his average will fall below atg levels just sounds a bit ridiculous
They are effectively one in the same champ. If his performances decline, his average will drop. It's not complicated.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also I think its quite clear that Ponting and Tendulkar did not have a priority to go out on on top of their game. Their priority was doing what they love as long as they can.

Daemon

They are effectively one in the same champ. If his performances decline, his average will drop. It's not complicated.
they are obviously related, but they're still different reasons. there's a reason i said it 'sounds' ridiculous.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
And.... ? Is anybody disputing that?

The reality is in the last 12 months Tendulkar has played 10 Test matches, 6 of them at home and has scored 462 runs @ 27 with no hundreds and 3 fifty. Even a New Zealand batsman (who traditionally average 10-15 runs less than Indian batsmen) would be under pressure with 12 months like that.
Surely the 22 years of scoring at 57 would give him something over the NZ cricketer. With Sachin you can never say never. People wrote him of in 2006. Yes this patch is worse than his earlier one but it has only been since the NZ series that he has looked gone. He will surely believe that it is a matter of one good knock. He played one first class match before this series and promptly scored a century. This does not tarnish his record. It happened and he is trying to fight against it, good on him. He has no obligation to retire.

Zinzan

Zinzan, are you saying your view of Ponting's legacy has changed because since the start of 2008 he only averaged 40.23?
To an extent, yes. although I thought Ponting did really well to face up to the realisation that he was no longer at the peak of his powers. In a perfect world, Ponting should have retired after this series against India 12 months ago. But of course that's with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm not saying either are no longer ATG's, it's just sad to see then desperately trying to hang on when they are so clearly past their best. BTW I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way about Tendulkar.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Also I think its quite clear that Ponting and Tendulkar did not have a priority to go out on on top of their game. Their priority was doing what they love as long as they can.
As long as a player contributes he shoud stay!
Even if a great's avg drops because he's averaging 40, I don't think it tarnishes his legacy because he is still adding value to his team

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I would think there is a difference between "a shame he went past his peak and played when he was clearly not up to it. Was tough viewing" and "he has tainted his legacy". Ah well, not going to change your mind Zinzan and you're entitled to think the way you do, so fair enough.

Zinzan

Surely the 22 years of scoring at 57 would give him something over the NZ cricketer. With Sachin you can never say never. People wrote him of in 2006. Yes this patch is worse than his earlier one but it has only been since the NZ series that he has looked gone. He will surely believe that it is a matter of one good knock. He played one first class match before this series and promptly scored a century. This does not tarnish his record. It happened and he is trying to fight against it, good on him. He has no obligation to retire.
Some of you guys seriously need to face facts. I know he's been an ATG player, but he's not superman. He's 5 months shy of 40 years old. Do you think he might suddenly have another golden run against between the ages of 40 and 41 (or maybe between 41-42)?

I have to confess I didn't see him in the recent series against England, but I watched every ball in the series against NZ and what stood out to me is his eye had clearly diminished, hence why he was cleaned bowled 4 times. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own view on this one, I for one just think it will be extremely sad if he continues to keep diminishing.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Since tendulkar hasn't contributed since the nz series and has had 9 innings (6 tests) to see that he is well past it, I believe this is the ideal time to leave.

if he were to continue like this for another 10 tests for example, then it would no doubt taint his legacy somewhat.

Zinzan

As long as a player contributes he shoud stay!
Even if a great's avg drops because he's averaging 40, I don't think it tarnishes his legacy because he is still adding value to his team
Again, let's conveniently ignore the fact that in 10 tests in the last 12 months he's averaged 27. 27 is not 40 and averaging 27 certainly doesn't add value to the team. But once again, that's probably acceptable to you because he used to be great right?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of you guys seriously need to face facts. I know he's been an ATG player, but he's not superman. He's 5 months shy of 40 years old. Do you think he might suddenly have another golden run against between the ages of 40 and 41 (or maybe between 41-42)?

I have to confess I didn't see him in the recent series against England, but I watched every ball in the series against NZ and what stood out to me is his eye had clearly diminished, hence why he was cleaned bowled 4 times. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own view on this one, I for one just think it will be extremely sad if he continues to keep diminishing.
yea thats true. 3 innings against NZ & 6 innings against ENG is long enough for a 40 yo.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Again, let's conveniently ignore the fact that in 10 tests in the last 12 months he's averaged 27. 27 is not 40 and averaging 27 certainly doesn't add value to the team. But once again, that's probably acceptable to you because he used to be great right?
noooooooooo
i was using that to defend Ponting

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Couple of things:

1. Who here is saying Sachin isn't past it? ZInzan you're arguing against something no one is saying. He's old and past it, everyone agrees. We are saying his last 12 months does not ruin his career at all. You disagree. I think you are wrong, you think you are right. Fair enough.

2. Here is the main point, you are missing just how quickly Sachin fell away. His 2012 has been awful, but if you asked anyone in the Melbourne and Sydney tests 2011/2012 who the best batsman for India was, they would say Tendulkar hands down.

Age catches up to people quickly. Sachin went from our best to being past it in the space of 12 months. You are acting like he's hung on for years and years. He would have only realised he's starting to suck balls against NZ and now England. That's a space of only 6 months.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Couple of things:

Age catches up to people quickly. Sachin went from our best to being past it in the space of 12 months. You are acting like he's hung on for years and years. He would have only realised he's starting to suck balls against NZ and now England. That's a space of only 6 months.
Yeah exactly, can't stress this enough. He was the world's best batsman in 2010 (1568 runs @ 78 with 7 tons), Indian's best batsman barring Dravid in 2011 despite being merely 'good' (756 runs @ 47.25).

It's all well and good to sit on that wonderful armchair of hindsight and say he should have to retired sooner but that ignores the actual context of his decline.

Zinzan

Couple of things:

1. Who here is saying Sachin isn't past it? ZInzan you're arguing against something no one is saying. He's old and past it, everyone agrees. We are saying his last 12 months does not ruin his career at all. You disagree. I think you are wrong, you think you are right. Fair enough.
Actually If you looked who I quoted when I typed that, you'll see I was replying to Cruxdude who was actually implying that he may well be back to his best i.e. references about how people wrote him off in 2008.

Also, in terms of continued failures tarnishing his career, sadly, it doesn't really matter what you or I think, it's the way history will remember him and let's not pretend that averages suddenly don't impact the way a player is judged, because we all know on the face of it it does. Only then can context be provided. I personally find it to be a shame that his average has dropped below 55, if others find that petty, so be it.