Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were Sachin Tendulkar . . .

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    if I were sachin... oh boy, wouldn't that be nice - to be among the very best in what you want to be; it is the equivalent of a mediocre filmmaker like me becoming a scorsese or a spielbeg...

back to the topic...

if i were sachin, i would continue to make myself available for test and ODI selection knowing i am just one good session away from regaining my batting form. i know i have invested all my life into playing cricket for india. and whatever i do post retirement would never ever give me the same satisfaction. so, just like i never allowed all the over-the-top accolades during my peak to go to my head, i would not allow unfair criticism to pull me down too. i would continue to ignore the lesser mortals around me and continue to play to the best of my ability knowing my team will only benefit from my individual success. still, if the selectors find a better replacement for me they can drop me. i didnt beg them to select me as a kid. they needed me. similarly they will select me as long as the team needs me. once i am redundant they can drop me, them i am through. till then, i dont give a damn about others. it is me and my cricket.
    Last edited by bagapath; 18-12-2012 at 02:43 AM.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    I'd retire while my batting average is still north of 50. He's already dropped below the elite group averaging over 55 having averaged around 57 not so long ago. The last 12 months has tarnished his legacy for mine, regardless of what some people want to say.
    Get some perspective mate. your logic is quite wrong i'm afraid

You are forgetting that "the more tests/the longer you play, the harder it gets to maintain a high average'?

For example, get Ponting to play another 15 or so tests and his average will likely fall so much more that according to your line of thinking he won't even be an ATG. (ending up below 50). Thats just plain wrong.

Lara played 131 tests (14 yrs)
    Tendulkar has played 194 tests (23 yrs)

And when you take into account that an average can fall 2-3 points in no time, makes you wonder how he is still averaging more than Lara, despite playing for much much longer and playing about 50% more tests.

Last edited by centurymaker; 17-12-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    if I were sachin... oh boy, wouldn't that be nice - to be among the very best in what you want to be; it is the equivalent of a mediocre filmmaker like me becoming a scorsese or a spielbeg...

back to the topic...

if i were sachin, i would continue to make myself available for test and ODI selection knowing i am just one good session away from regaining my batting form. i know i have invested all my life into playing cricket for india. and whatever i do post retirement would never ever give me the same satisfaction. so, just like i never allowed all the over the top accolades on my peak to go to my head, i would not allow unfair criticism to pull me down too. i would continue to ignore the lesser mortals around me and continue to play to the best of my ability knowing my team will only benefit from my individual success. still, if the selectors find a better replacement for me they can drop me. i didnt beg them to select me as a kid. they needed me. similarly they will select me as long as the team needs me. once i am redundant they can drop me, them i am through. till then, i dont give a damn about others. it is me and my cricket.
    don't you think he has a moral duty to retire himself instead of forcing the selectors to drop him at the cost of possibly even risking their lives?

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    Get some perspective mate. your logic is quite wrong i'm afraid

You are forgetting that "the more tests/the longer you play, the harder it gets to maintain a high average'?

/B]. [/U]

Actually my logic is 100% correct and that's exactly why I'd retire if I were him, he's clearly not the player he once was hence why so many (including his ex team-mates) are calling for him to retire.

By your logic, I suppose you would have no problem if he continues playing for the next 2-3 years and averages south of 30, because you'll still have your 'perspective' to fall back on.

BTW, Jacques Kallis has maintained his 55+ average for the best part of 18 years.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Actually my logic is 100% correct and that's exactly why I'd retire if I were him, he's clearly not the player he once was hence why so many (including his ex team-mates) are calling for him to retire.

By your logic, I suppose you would have no problem if he continues playing for the next 2-3 years and averages south of 30, because you'll still have your 'perspective' to fall back on.

BTW, Jacques Kallis has maintained his 55+ average for the best part of 18 years.
    Well Sachin was averaging almost 57 at the end of nearly 22 years of international cricket.

Simon Champion!

Not sure what he has to do with this discussion but Kallis properly started playing in 1997.

Anyways, if he were to go through a slump for the next 2 years and average 40, resulting in drop of his average he'll become a worse batsman overall for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    Well Sachin was averaging almost 57 at the end of nearly 22 years of international cricket.
    And.... ? Is anybody disputing that?

The reality is in the last 12 months Tendulkar has played 10 Test matches, 6 of them at home and has scored 462 runs @ 27 with no hundreds and 3 fifty. Even a New Zealand batsman (who traditionally average 10-15 runs less than Indian batsmen) would be under pressure with 12 months like that.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    it's one thing to say he should retire because he's in decline, but to say he should retire because his average will fall below atg levels just sounds a bit ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Not sure what he has to do with this discussion but Kallis properly started playing in 1997.

Anyways, if he were to go through a slump for the next 2 years and average 40, resulting in drop of his average he'll become a worse batsman overall for you ?
    His legacy will be tarnished, yes, which will be a great travesty because he doesn't deserve to be remembered as a great batsman who unfortunately played on well past his best and was made to look ordinary towards the end. For me it's one of the sadder aspects of sport when this does happen and most great sportsmen ideally want to go out on top of their game.

He'll do very well to average 40 the way he's been playing. I mean even in the home series against NZ he was cleaned bowled 4 times out of 4 and looked utterly clueless. Almost like a walking wicket.

Zinzan, are you saying your view of Ponting's legacy has changed because since the start of 2008 he only averaged 40.23?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    it's one thing to say he should retire because he's in decline, but to say he should retire because his average will fall below atg levels just sounds a bit ridiculous
    They are effectively one in the same champ. If his performances decline, his average will drop. It's not complicated.

Also I think its quite clear that Ponting and Tendulkar did not have a priority to go out on on top of their game. Their priority was doing what they love as long as they can.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    They are effectively one in the same champ. If his performances decline, his average will drop. It's not complicated.
    they are obviously related, but they're still different reasons. there's a reason i said it 'sounds' ridiculous.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    And.... ? Is anybody disputing that?

The reality is in the last 12 months Tendulkar has played 10 Test matches, 6 of them at home and has scored 462 runs @ 27 with no hundreds and 3 fifty. Even a New Zealand batsman (who traditionally average 10-15 runs less than Indian batsmen) would be under pressure with 12 months like that.
    Surely the 22 years of scoring at 57 would give him something over the NZ cricketer. With Sachin you can never say never. People wrote him of in 2006. Yes this patch is worse than his earlier one but it has only been since the NZ series that he has looked gone. He will surely believe that it is a matter of one good knock. He played one first class match before this series and promptly scored a century. This does not tarnish his record. It happened and he is trying to fight against it, good on him. He has no obligation to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Zinzan, are you saying your view of Ponting's legacy has changed because since the start of 2008 he only averaged 40.23?
    To an extent, yes. although I thought Ponting did really well to face up to the realisation that he was no longer at the peak of his powers. In a perfect world, Ponting should have retired after this series against India 12 months ago. But of course that's with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm not saying either are no longer ATG's, it's just sad to see then desperately trying to hang on when they are so clearly past their best. BTW I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way about Tendulkar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information