• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan WAG

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So...during my time away, I had some time to think about this, and the more time goes on, the more I think that Michael Bevan was a truly fantastic batsman.

I'd never really thought about it before, but I watched some old tapes, and what really stood out, was the fact that he was an exceptional player of the short ball. Whilst other batsman, particularly those in the modern day, get exposed by the short ball all the time, you really never got the feeling that Bevan was ever truly susceptible to it.

The ability to play the short ball cannot be understated. I mean, at present, there are plenty of batsman on the international circuit who are routinely exposed in this fashion. Sangakkarra for example, is really not attuned to playing short deliveries, and demonstrates why he not only isn't anywhere near the top tier of all-time batsman, but not even in the top-tier of those currently playing the game.

Bevan WAG.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Welcome back - have you been sampling that suspicious looking fresh coriander from Ravi's again?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Exactly. You might argue that you can't really infer much from one off incidents, but it's just another example of why he's not in that bracket of top batsmen.

Jager

International Debutant
Sangakkara injured by a short ball from the much-maligned Mitchell Johnson. ITSTL.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
See, this validates my point entirely. He can't even play the short deliveries of a totally substandard bowler without ending up in hospital.

Top batsman my foot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And again, this is a prime example of a delivery that Michael Bevan would have dealt with, with ease.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'll get no argument from me. I've lost count of the number of times he single handedly pulled Australia's ass out of the fire when they were in big trouble.
Good point, really good with the shot.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hobart Test in 2007 - despite being on 192, he managed to get himself out caught trying to hook. The bowler being renowned express paceman Stuart Clark.