Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can stop South Africa?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    It's definitely far fetched for a SAer to predict their side will choke, isn't it smali.
    against NZ, and that too at home in a test series. Yes it is
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Tournaments Won: 1
    We drew with them last time we played iirc.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Yas
    Am backing Pakistan to win a test when they visit SA, then get beaten to a pulp in the rest of the tour.....

SA obviously streets ahead of Pak but I can see the Pak bowlers having a gun session or two and winning a test off their own back.

We drew with them last time we played iirc.
    You're speaking the biggest load of tosh in this thread Prez. NZL didn't draw with us.

Our sub-continent play has been pretty good for a while now. The best from outside the sub-continent.

Quite clearly the English team is the next best but we don't play them for a long time.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    SA will have to replace Kallis sooner or later, that will hurt them massively. I don't think that SA have as much depth as England but they do have more top stars than us and a better first choice side though we have about 10 spinners better than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    SA will have to replace Kallis sooner or later, that will hurt them massively. I don't think that SA have as much depth as England but they do have more top stars than us and a better first choice side though we have about 10 spinners better than they do.
    I'm pretty confident we have good depth mate.

Only hurdle I can see is their home performances against AUS. But after 10 ashes tests in a row I am not sure AUS will really fancy touring SA. Apart from that, a tour to UAE/PAK or Home series against ENG in 2015/16 I think. So they are probably good for next 4-5 years. Having said that we have to see how they go with out Kallis, that would be a massive gap to fill.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I'm pretty confident we have good depth mate.
    Yeah Elgar is top class.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Obviously with Kallis you lose two players in one, a world class batsman and a very serviceable swing bowling option that offers the side great balance. He's pretty much irreplaceable I would have thought, it just depends on how massive a hole he leaves.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Yeah Elgar is top class.
    Just like Petersen, Duminy and Faf who have stepped in and done well outside our supposed top players?

Elgar deserves an opportunity and didn't Graham Gooch, Saeed Anwar and Marvin Atapattu all get pairs on debut ? Oh yeah they did.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    You're speaking the biggest load of tosh in this thread Prez. NZL didn't draw with us.

Our sub-continent play has been pretty good for a while now. The best from outside the sub-continent.

Quite clearly the English team is the next best but we don't play them for a long time.
    Fair enough. I don't quite know why I thought we drew with them last time we played. Was it SA vs Aus in SA that I'm thinking of then?

Fair enough. I don't quite know why I thought we drew with them last time we played. Was it SA vs Aus in SA that I'm thinking of then?
    Yeah. A pathetic two match test series. Due to the Champions League.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 17-12-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Given South Africa's total lack of depth, Kallis retiring soon, and the fact that their batting is so reliant on 3-4 guys I would expect to see them randomly lose a series somewhere. In the past 2-4 years their random defeats have been spread out a bit so they've tended to get away with 1-1 or similar scorelines. Given they only really play short series it won't take much for them to lose a series somewhere.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lord Kitchener.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Given England's total over-reliance on South African schooled cricketers like Kevin Pietersen and Jonathan Trott they will get away with scoring enough runs when not playing quality attacks. KP at 32 won't be a guy to play around till he is 36/37 as he will be worrying about being away from his wife too long and who knows what will happen with the ego next. A KPless England looks very vulnerable as we saw recently. Alistair Cook showed in the series against South Africa after his first knock that his old deficiencies can be attacked when up against a moving ball. The struggles in the middle order haven't been totally sorted. The two 'great' spinners have both been nullified by South Africa in their home conditions on our last two tours there. Jimmy Anderson is quality on his day but didn't really do much against us on our last tour there and before that.

Wachacha

See what I did there.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information