Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can stop South Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    I'm worried for SA in the sense that I'm not sure they have a plan B most of the time. One of these days Philander is going to have a series where he's under par and a guy like Morkel will have to be given extra responsibility with the new ball.
    they did get through such a situation just couple of months against the 2/3 best team in the world away from home. SA has actually became quite a gritty side atleast in tests in last 2-3 years they do get themselves out of many tight situations.

have any of the scientists made a continental drift joke yet
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Alleged murder has stopped the South African Paralympic team, and I suspect the same will be required to stop the cricket team.

Shame Andrew Hall doesn't play for them any more.

Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Should open him instead of Petersen.
    Also who can forget him almost ****in up the 434 odi chase?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Should open him instead of Petersen.
    Also who can forget him almost ****in up the 434 odi chase?
    Bloody Tony Gregg trying to put the mockers on us that day. Gibbs 175 with a hang over not bad
    Twenty-over cricket can be “boring”. It has grown up. It takes concentration. It is no longer a game for the post-literate generation. They need the distractions, the loud music to disguise the boredom. They never warned you about that.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Australia would've been 2-nil up going into Perth were it not for the weather in Brisbane and Pattinson's injury in Adelaide

Michael Clarke scored 2 double hundreds in that series, the Australian team broke the world record for the most runs in a test day and Mitchell Starc scored the 2nd fastest 50 (and 14th overall) by an Oz batsman in test history - does that sound to you like they were facing a "great" attack

Sorry but SA are simply the best attack in a very. very ordinary period for test cricket

BTW, dont talk to Australians about injuries - we were down to one fit bowler in Adelaide (alongside 2 that were half fit and another who was crocked after 9 overs) and havent been able to pick from a full complement for years
    Off all the sad words put to tongue or pen the saddest are these "It might have been or It could have been"
    You couldn't take 20 wickets not even 19 to win you lost. We did we won. Get over it.
    Last edited by BeardofAmla; 20-02-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Banned
    SA are a fantastic side but are far from unstoppable.

They've played Australia in 5 Tests home and away in the past 18 months and came out of that with 2 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws. And In both of those drawn games, Australia had complete ascendency.

So any reasonable observer would say that over those 5 Tests it was a very even contest.

It should also be kept in mind that they played a very inexperienced Australia team which is definitely on the rise...as evidenced by the fact that in the past 2 years they have won 12 Tests and lost just 3...with 2 of those losses coming against the no. 1 ranked Test side and the other an absolute nailbiter loss to NZ.
    Last edited by Mr_Ronan; 20-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ronan View Post
    SA are a fantastic side but are far from unstoppable.

They've played Australia in 5 Tests home and away in the past 18 months and came out of that with 2 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws. And In both of those drawn games, Australia had complete ascendency.

So any reasonable observer would say that over those 5 Tests it was a very even contest.

It should also be kept in mind that they played a very inexperienced Australia team which is definitely on the rise...as evidenced by the fact that in the past 2 years they have won 12 Tests and lost just 3...with 2 of those losses coming against the no. 1 ranked Test side and the other an absolute nailbiter loss to NZ.
    The loss of Hussey and Ponting has left a huge gap in Australia's side. They have some exciting bowling prospects, but heavily injury prone. For some reason the side has been in perpetual transition mode since 2007 in my opinion. Do they have a settled batting and bowling lineup? Can you say with confidence what their team will look like next year? If not they may produce a good performance here and there, but a consistent run is unlikely.

SA definitely underperformed in the Down Under last year, but still ended up on the winning side. In the end, thats what matters.

State Vice-Captain
    What I like about the SA side is that you feel that they actually have some true class throughout their lineup, rather than one odd world class player and several others who happen to be in good form at the same time, which is what I felt about the England sides of 2005 and 2011.

Kallis and Steyn are all-time greats, Smith will surely end up in his country's greatest ever lineup, and Amla, Philander, Devillers and possibly DePlussis are greats in the making. Compare this to the second best team, England, who hardly have a single great in their side (Pietersen doesnt count for me). In the end, its the number of high quality players you have that determines the quality of your team.

When they play, you get the impression that the standard of cricket is quite high, and they rarely collectively fail in both batting and bowling. The sore spot of course is spin, as it has always been.

People are making unfair comparison between this side and the great WI and Australian teams of the past, but it misses the point. The point is simply to be better than your opponents, and its not their fault that their opponents are in pretty poor quality overall. They already have achieved an impressive overseas record and removed any doubts about who is the real no.1. What else should be expected from Mr. Smith? I guess to be more dominant at home, and it seems that he's off to a good start.

I would rather they continue to dominate until the other teams push their standards up.
    Last edited by subshakerz; 20-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.

International Debutant
    Pattinson hardly beat up SA. He averaged near 40 in the last series which isn't bad considering the nature of the pitches and strength of the opposition though.

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    The loss of Hussey and Ponting has left a huge gap in Australia's side. They have some exciting bowling prospects, but heavily injury prone. For some reason the side has been in perpetual transition mode since 2007 in my opinion. Do they have a settled batting and bowling lineup? Can you say with confidence what their team will look like next year? If not they may produce a good performance here and there, but a consistent run is unlikely.

SA definitely underperformed in the Down Under last year, but still ended up on the winning side. In the end, thats what matters.
    In what way did SA underperform in Oz?

For SA, Kallis Amla and Smith all scored centuries in the first 2 test - as expected

De Villiers had been out of form for a while so his performances in the first 2 tests were really to be expected

Steyn was average in England for all bar a couple of spells and he did the same here

Vern looked average on the only other occasions that I have seen him bowl in good batting conditions, so seeing him struggle in Brisbane was hardly a surprise

For Oz, Clarke was the no.1 batsman in the world at the time so runs from him were expected.

Hussey recently retired with a test average of over 50 so runs from him were expected

Warner has the talent to destroy any attack so Adelaide was no shock

The Australian attack is improving and playing at home

If anything, the performances that really hurt Australia (Faf in Adelaide and Peterson in Perth) were the biggest shocks of the entire series

****, I was all ready to disagree with Social when I read his first line, but after reading your justification, I can't. That is a good summary of the series and the "expectations" beforehand. I'd argue Cowan's knock at Brisbane was something no one expected (he took the game away from SA) but otherwise, good post.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    In what way did SA underperform in Oz?

For SA, Kallis Amla and Smith all scored centuries in the first 2 test - as expected

De Villiers had been out of form for a while so his performances in the first 2 tests were really to be expected

Steyn was average in England for all bar a couple of spells and he did the same here

Vern looked average on the only other occasions that I have seen him bowl in good batting conditions, so seeing him struggle in Brisbane was hardly a surprise

For Oz, Clarke was the no.1 batsman in the world at the time so runs from him were expected.

Hussey recently retired with a test average of over 50 so runs from him were expected

Warner has the talent to destroy any attack so Adelaide was no shock

The Australian attack is improving and playing at home

If anything, the performances that really hurt Australia (Faf in Adelaide and Peterson in Perth) were the biggest shocks of the entire series
    Actually, your reasoning is pretty good, I cant disagree much except with Steyn, who had a terrific spell in the pre-series game but somehow didnt turn up until the last test. In England, I think he wasnt as effective as he didnt have his favorite new ball position, but wasnt as poor as as he was in Australia.

This still doesnt change my point, though, the Australian side is in flux, it has lost two batting giants and the bowlers continue to break down. I dont see them threatening to be no. 1 any time soon.

I think wait and see how Australia go in India. Don't get me wrong, India aren't the benchmark by any stretch, but it will be fairly massive if they can win there with their squad post-PuntHuss

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Actually, your reasoning is pretty good, I cant disagree much except with Steyn, who had a terrific spell in the pre-series game but somehow didnt turn up until the last test. In England, I think he wasnt as effective as he didnt have his favorite new ball position, but wasnt as poor as as he was in Australia.

This still doesnt change my point, though, the Australian side is in flux, it has lost two batting giants and the bowlers continue to break down. I dont see them threatening to be no. 1 any time soon.
    Unless something radically changes with the Oz batting lineup (i.e. consistency), I cant see them challenging either

However, IF (and it is a massive if) the young bowlers reach their potential, they will be capable of beating anyone on any given day with or without consistent performances from the batting lineup

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information