• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussey's legacy

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
He's one of the players who should've been in the test side earlier. I thought he and Symonds should've been in the 2005 Ashes squad in England.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Good bloke, very good bat, excellent fielder, and no more. Probably at least 8 or so guys (cbf working out exactly who) who'd make a "2000-present" world XI ahead of him imo.

Would sell a kidney to have him at 6 for NZ regardless.

TNT

Banned
Hussey's problem will be he averaged 50 in an era where 6 or so teams have 2-3 guys averaging 50.

I'm struggling to come up with the 6 teams with 2-3 players averaging 50, can you tell me which ones they were. Thanks.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think his reputation proceeds him, he hasn't made runs under real pressure for a good few years now IMO.
Was wondering about this - in recent times does seem to be adept at piling on the runs when Australia are already winning and Clarke has already done the hard work. But I can think of a few times when Aus were under pressure that he failed. Cbf looking up - when was the last time he scored runs when others didn't and the skiing was uphill?

Justo

U19 Debutant
Would have been the last Ashes series. Really only Himself, Watson and Haddin who achieved anything with the bat in that series.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was wondering about this - in recent times does seem to be adept at piling on the runs when Australia are already winning and Clarke has already done the hard work. But I can think of a few times when Aus were under pressure that he failed. Cbf looking up - when was the last time he scored runs when others didn't and the skiing was uphill?
performed well with ponting on boxing day. rubbish in SA, although he managed to scrap out a 30-40 (despite looking awful) in the 2nd test chase. sri lanka tour. aus ashes. and then he was rubbish for 2 years, bar SCG-Pakistan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Adel 2nd inninngs might count

and he played some useful - if not gigantic - knocks in WI. was excellent in the 1st test chase

TNT

Banned
Hussey's legacy would include his ODI batting I assume, probably one of the best in the game.

flibbertyjibber

Calling Hussey a HTB is a little unfair when you consider away he averages 41 which is more than half your current batting line up can manage as a career record.

Been a quality player and his ODI record means he has been an even bigger asset to the side over the years. Maybe he should have played sooner but his record is very good and the team you had that kept him out was hardly a poor one.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Something that stands out to me about Hussey was how awkward he was in the role of captain when he did it for a Chappell/Hadlee series in NZ where Australia got whitewashed - I remember him saying in interviews how uncomfortable he felt in the role. It seemed he was someone happy to be in the background just doing his job and therefore in terms of a personality, his legacy and impact on the side wouldn't be that great.

But he clearly does lead by example through his professionalism and as a batsman. His career has been spotty since the 2007/08 season but I wouldn't class him as a FTB or even HTB - his outstanding performance in Sri Lanka last year alone would preclude him from that title.

morgieb

It says a lot about our batting depth (of a few years ago) that someone who averages 50 despite not playing in his preferred position couldn't get a game until he was 30.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Alot of people on here, with the drafts and what not, are obsessed with players they've never seen, with just statistics and what some people write about them, as well as the occassional film of them.......

Now, in 80 years, if some guy looked up Michael Hussey, statistically he is an absolute monster, averaging over 51, 19 test centuries, 48 in ODI cricket and over 52 in FC cricket with almost 60 centuries.

If they look up some articles, they'll read about Mr.Cricket, a great fielder, super athlete, compact, powerful and elegant left hander, capable of batting almost anywhere.

If they see some film, they'll discover he's one of the greatest left handed cover drivers ever and a powerful backfoot player built on WACA pitches.....

Get what im saying? Hussey's legacy will grow with time, he's so underrated it's ridiculous....... his numbers stack up very well to someone like Neil Harvey from almost exactly the same amount of tests.......

Last edited: